The Good Old Days - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Good Old Days

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably won't.

You won't know unless you try. Your chances are pretty decent as I love a good sing-song. Nothing too challenging though - my vocal range is a bit limited.

But just so I can understand your rules - singing along to a Status Quo song playing over the tannoy when we've been papped out of the competition is amazing. But singing a song about two of our players when we're on course for qualification is embarrassing. Is that right?

A small minority of Rangers fans who actually go to Ibrox don't support the national team?

I think it is a substantial number these days.

I know its wiki so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but statistically they say rangers make up the largest proportion of the tartan army.

Composition[edit]

Research carried out in 1996 noted that the proportion of the Tartan Army comprising Rangers supporters, "traditionally the backbone of the Tartan Army", had declined since the 1980s.[28]However, Rangers still provided the single largest proportion with 21%,[29] while west-of-Scotland Catholics, traditionally associated with Celtic, were still notably under-represented.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_Army

Edited by Robroysboy

At the end of the day, guys, does it really matter a which clubs (if any) make up the national team support? :blink: The last thing i am thinking when i am talking to anyone at a Scotland game is "Hmmmm, I wonder which club they support?"

What he said.

A small minority of Rangers fans who actually go to Ibrox don't support the national team?

I think it is a substantial number these days.

There is a difference between Rangers fans not following the National Team and Rangers fans wanting the National Team to lose or do badly.

It can be argued that the former has increased due to;

1 The cost of supporting both club and country

2 The lack of Rangers players in the International Squad

I still stick by the latter being a minority (but agreeing it has went up) because to be in such a group you have to be a complete full gone ignorant imbecile and despite the obvious witty retorts of all Rangers fans being that way.... they are not

At the end of the day, guys, does it really matter a which clubs (if any) make up the national team support? :blink: The last thing i am thinking when i am talking to anyone at a Scotland game is "Hmmmm, I wonder which club they support?"

Agree we are all there for the same reason. If it comes up therr is usually a laugh to be had slaggingg each other and tslking about games that stand out between the teams.

One thing I could never understand is the mentality of supporting Scotland depending upon the extent to which a particular squad included your club team's players or a rival club team's players. I remember hearing a Rangers supporter in the pub around France 98 saying to his pal that he hoped Scotland get beat in every game this time because the squad was full of Celtic players, and Brown had left McCoist at home.

Club allegiances seem to come up very rarely on away trips, other than for the purposes of good natured taking the p1ss out of each other, and that's the way it should be.

You won't know unless you try. Your chances are pretty decent as I love a good sing-song. Nothing too challenging though - my vocal range is a bit limited.

But just so I can understand your rules - singing along to a Status Quo song playing over the tannoy when we've been papped out of the competition is amazing. But singing a song about two of our players when we're on course for qualification is embarrassing. Is that right?

Status Quo song was spur of the moment stuff.

The Fletcher song is just a rip of an annoying song that every bellend at the darts/stag do's/delete where applicable sings.

I know its wiki so has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but statistically they say rangers make up the largest proportion of the tartan army.

Composition[edit]

Research carried out in 1996 noted that the proportion of the Tartan Army comprising Rangers supporters, "traditionally the backbone of the Tartan Army", had declined since the 1980s.[28]However, Rangers still provided the single largest proportion with 21%,[29] while west-of-Scotland Catholics, traditionally associated with Celtic, were still notably under-represented.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_Army

Almost 20 year old data. A lots changed since then. We still had a world cup to come back then!

You don't think that part of the reason Rangers fans have given up following Scotland is because they are sick of the abuse from fellow fans.

Aye, it's poor from us not rolling over each time we are told to stick the Tartan Army up our Archie.

Correct. I would guess that the TA away support was less so when both Celtic and Rangers had longer European runs. But the home games are mainly Glasgow based IMO.

Don't know about Glasgow but definitely biggest % of the home support is central belt. Only have to be on a train from Killie or Ayr on match days to see the huge number that travel from ayrshire. Pretty sure Renfrewshire / Lanarkshire will be the same.

Don't know about Glasgow but definitely biggest % of the home support is central belt. Only have to be on a train from Killie or Ayr on match days to see the huge number that travel from ayrshire. Pretty sure Renfrewshire / Lanarkshire will be the same.

I take it you've never been on a train from Perth on matchdays?