Tamb Running Thread - Page 29 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever used the gels in the latter stages of full marathons, though i like to have a flapjack or something similar along with a banana before starting a half marathon. I also carry an isotonic drink with me as I run. But as with many things in running, its a bit of personal preference.

Yup, I eat a banana about 20 mins before every run, seems to give me a good boost.

A few of the folk I have been reading on Strava say they eat Jelly Babies instead in a half.

There were a few folk handing out Jelly babies on the way round last year, now that I think of it. Strange how it's always specifically jelly babies and not fizzy cola bottles, etc.

Well done on the recent runs, had loads of mates on FB do the Inverness half as well, seemed to be a good turn out.

I've got my first half of the year (and 2nd ever) on Sunday - looking to beat last year's time of 1:53. Best case I should beat that time by about 5 mins, but I'll be delighted with anything under 1:50 really.

I've only been running max 10 mile routes this year so far, worried that I might hit a bit of a wall after the 10 mile mark. Does anyone bother with any of those gels for a boost? Probably not worth it for a half?

Which half are you doing?

Which half are you doing?

Reading. It's quite a popular one, should be 17-18k doing it, lots of people use it as prep for the London marathon each year as it's always staged a month before that.

Also the finishing line is inside the Madejski stadium at the half-way line so the final stretch is around the pitch with the crowd cheering, which is cool.

Only just started using gels for my recent marathon. Not sure if they helped or not but they didn't 'disagree' with me like the one other time I tried one at the London Marathon (silly time to experiment). I did use one on Sunday in Alloa but this was really because I hadn't eaten very well for the previous few days for other reasons. I otherwise would not have bothered for a half. My advice would be if you've not tried them before then in a race is not the time to start just in case you have a similar experience to mine in London!

Hadn't done Alloa before but found the second half very difficult, partly as I went off far too fast, partly due to the hills, and partly due to lack of food and the previous week's marathon. Enjoyed it though and got a PB by almost 3 mins!

Well done on your times Deecie!

Only just started using gels for my recent marathon. Not sure if they helped or not but they didn't 'disagree' with me like the one other time I tried one at the London Marathon (silly time to experiment). I did use one on Sunday in Alloa but this was really because I hadn't eaten very well for the previous few days for other reasons. I otherwise would not have bothered for a half. My advice would be if you've not tried them before then in a race is not the time to start just in case you have a similar experience to mine in London!

Hadn't done Alloa before but found the second half very difficult, partly as I went off far too fast, partly due to the hills, and partly due to lack of food and the previous week's marathon. Enjoyed it though and got a PB by almost 3 mins!

Agree on this, I hadn't used gels prior to Edinburgh Marathon 2013, it was a little after 18 miles I think I grabbed one that was handed out - my stomach didn't thank me!

One thing is for sure, taking nothing before or during a long race is a recipe for pain and exhaustion. I had been running 16-20 miler training runs with nothing but 300ml of water and half a dozen jelly babies and worrying about how awful I felt after about 12-14 miles.

When it came to the marathon another runner offered me a gel bar immediately before starting, with that and half a cup of powerade or small piece of banana every 5km I felt fresh as a daisy at the end.

Think I'll give the gels a miss then. There's a couple of Lucozade sport handouts on the route so that should be enough for me I hope. Plus porridge & bananas in the hours before.

Maybe grab yourself some Clif Bloks, basically like the cubes of jelly you get (before you melt it and put it in a mould). They're not a bad little booster, Tesco and Boots stock them if you're interested.

Maybe grab yourself some Clif Bloks, basically like the cubes of jelly you get (before you melt it and put it in a mould). They're not a bad little booster, Tesco and Boots stock them if you're interested.

Will have a look at those, cheers. I'm beginning to think I've left this kind of experimentation a bit late!

Aye, cheers min.

CONGRATS McTOOT

I've only just realised I overlooked this pleasantry :blush:

As for Gels, I find it's very dependent on which gel you use. The 'SiS' ones are alright, but the best i've found are 'Isogels'.

In Barca they were handing out 'GU' gels which were truely awful.