Living Outside Scotland - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Living Outside Scotland

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ok:

Just a pity it doesn't open a bit earlier - I should arrive in Salisbury about 10 (if not slightly earlier) - looks like it'll have to be a spot of breakfast somewhere and a visit to the Cathedral until the pubs open...

There is always Wetherspoons :wink2:

Better boozers in Manc.

Manchester is pretty similar to Glasgow so it was easy to fit/blend in overall.

Manchester has some superb boozers Charlie right enough but the banter, albeit is very good, being a Scotsman ( patriotic ), you do tend to be the start before you finish them off ! :lol:

Nothing compares to home but, nothing at all.

Ignore the lack of class Charlie.

Wetherspoons is only passable for the early door Saturday morning breakfast if there is absolutely nothing left available.

:lol:

I have in place a blanket ban of all Wetherspoons - went into the one in Leatherhead on Derby day this year for breakfast and a pint - guy was quite clearly going to serve us (asked what we would like) until we opened our mouths to reveal Scottish accents - he then mumbled some nonsense about not being able to serve us as there was a 'big event' on (we were going to it...) - we were suited and booted and totally sober while the local jakeballs were freely being served. Feck 'em. Edited by Charlie Endell

Ignore the lack of class Charlie.

Wetherspoons is only passable for the early door Saturday morning breakfast if there is absolutely nothing left available.

:lol:

:-)) Yip totally agree with that reply, been in a few Wetherspoons and Salisbury is still the worst.... in my opinion of course. There are a few eating places en route to the Catheral which has a lovely glass roofed restaurant called The Refectory.

Greengages good for a full English?

Greenguages always gets good reports, it's situated on Catherine Street, for a good value breakfast I sometimes slip into Carwardines which is at the city end of Fisherton St.

Spent a couple of years in the West Midlands, and worked in various places around northern Europe. Denmark has jaw droppingly good looking women, or did in the late 90s. Somehow the fact it was flat as a pancake didn't matter, and I've always fancied trying to live longer term in a Nordic country. The current missus wouldn't have it though.

The West Midlands had its plus points (curryhouses mainly) but it never felt like home and I couldn't wait to get back up the road.

My favourite place Ive worked is Seattle. Sea, mountains, rain, a cool musical city. Just like being in Glasgow except with better jobs and healthier looking people.

Greenguages always gets good reports, it's situated on Catherine Street, for a good value breakfast I sometimes slip into Carwardines which is at the city end of Fisherton St.

In Carwardine's at the moment - passed Deacon's on the way down - will try to get a pint there at 11.30 on the way back - getting the bus to the racecourse at 11.55 from the station (either that or 12.10 Castle Street).

I've had it all here and it's not just a few. Most folk I speak to do not have any decent grasp of Geography. It happens daily to me. 99% of the time I am asked if I am Irish. The thing is I sound nothing like that. My accent is very guttery Scottish if you like and even when speaking in standard English I admit I do have that rrrrrrr thing going on. I'll be asked if I'm Irish and when I ask them to have another guess, telling them that I come from the next country adjacent to Ireland they will answer with shite like Australia or New Zealand. Germany I get a lot also and English a lot too. I NEVER get Scotland. Which I would understand if I had an Inversneckie accent as theirs is quite pure and proper.

I also get like you the questions about Ireland and Scotland being the same nation. They'll then ask what is the difference to which I'll reply with, well, they are two seperate countries. That's the difference. I get asked things like how long would it take to cycle across the border from Scotland to Ireland. Also being continually asked why Scotland like Ireland never joined up to fight in both World wars. :angry:

One of my favourite mistaken accent incidents was in a bar in Hollywood where I was chatting to the extremely attractive barmaid who had just spent time studying in Scotland and was having no problem understanding my very strong Lanarkshire accent. About 30 minutes into the conversation, we get interrupted by a Yank from the other side of the bar who had been earwigging on the conversation. He asks, very specifically, if I come from Budapest? Much to the amusement of most in the bar, I had to let the boy down by saying I came from Motherwell, near Glasgow in Scotland, to which he looked bewildered.

In Carwardine's at the moment - passed Deacon's on the way down - will try to get a pint there at 11.30 on the way back - getting the bus to the racecourse at 11.55 from the station (either that or 12.10 Castle Street).

God Charlie I was out on my bike this morning got back at 11:45, quick shower then down street, got into the Deacons at around 12:30 had a pint but it was quiet...a Chinese couple and two other bods at the bar. Enjoy the races, looks a bit cloudy at the mo.

God Charlie I was out on my bike this morning got back at 11:45, quick shower then down street, got into the Deacons at around 12:30 had a pint but it was quiet...a Chinese couple and two other bods at the bar. Enjoy the races, looks a bit cloudy at the mo.

Cheers for the Carwardine's shout - good scran. Being a Thursday lunchtime didn't want to disturb your plans - had a walk down to the cathedral, had a couple in the Ox Row Inn then got the free bus from Castle Street. Edited by Charlie Endell

Lived in Germany for 25 years , built my own house , but never really felt at home there and the Germans are a pain in the arrse when it comes to qualifications ! Lifestyle is good , money is good, health system is way better than ours.

Despite all that I always wanted to return here eventually. Which I did 2 years ago. With hindsight I would probably go to Australia or Canada as many of my military friends did .

I would recommend living and working abroad at least for a time. It gives you a completely different outlook on life.