Group Dynamics - What Will Be At Stake Going Into This Game? - Gibraltar v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Group Dynamics - What Will Be At Stake Going Into This Game?

EddardStark

Beat Georgia, lose to Germany and draw with Poland who lose to Germany. We go into last match with 15 points, the same as ROI and Poland on 18. We beat Gib probably clinching 3rd so chance of best 3rd (maybe unlikely if dropping points against Germany and Poland) but if ROI win in Poland there`d be 3 teams on 18 points and we`d be second and ROI third based on triple head to head.

• 3 weeks later...

This could be a meaningless end of season fixture.

If we win the next 3 games we will have already qualified.

If we lose the next 3 games we will already be out. Probably.

And then there are all the other permutations in between. If I were a betting man I would go for one of the in between permutations. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's just go for 3 points off Georgia - wan game at a time, an awe that.

Beat Georgia, lose to Germany and draw with Poland who lose to Germany. We go into last match with 15 points, the same as ROI and Poland on 18. We beat Gib probably clinching 3rd so chance of best 3rd (maybe unlikely if dropping points against Germany and Poland) but if ROI win in Poland there`d be 3 teams on 18 points and we`d be second and ROI third based on triple head to head.

Can we have this please teach the poles for nicking our flags lol ??

• 2 weeks later...

We couldn't ask for a more favorable final fixture but what will we be playing for? Play off spot or actual qualification?

The points against the bottom place team aren't taken into account in working out if we're the best third placed team- therefore qualifying automatically.

The game won't have any significance unless it's a win to get us second.

The points against the bottom place team aren't taken into account in working out if we're the best third placed team- therefore qualifying automatically.

The game won't have any significance unless it's a win to get us second.

We might need a win to get 3rd and a playoff spot?

Knowing us, we will probably be waiting for the right result in another game as well though. :lol:

If we can be within 3 points of Poland going into the last double header, I reckon we'll qualify. We would then need to beat Poland at Hampden, which would put us above then on a head-to-head, giving us a target of a win in Gibraltar to clinch qualification.

To get to within 3 points of Poland might be a challenge though. We're 3 points behind just now - they go to Germany and are at home to Gibraltar. We go to Georgia and are at home to Germany. We have to win in Georgia, and then at least match Poland's result v Germany when we play Germany.

In short, assuming Poland lose in Germany - wins for us away to Georgia and home to Poland will see us going to Gibraltar looking for a win to qualify.

In short, assuming Poland lose in Germany - wins for us away to Georgia and home to Poland will see us going to Gibraltar looking for a win to qualify.

Thats the way I see us progressing too, finishing second on h2h v Poland. (a low scoring draw could be good also)

That'll teach them for the flag nicking.

I'd have chewed my own arm off to be in that position after the draw!

Edited by Mazziessc