Pavement Parking - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interested to see how that would work on my street as with cars parked either side and not on the pavement there would barely be room to get a car down the street.

Double yellow lines doon one side of the street.

I think there's a difference between blocking the pavement, and having 2 wheels on the pavement to avoid blocking the road.

It would probably require an element of common sense or discretion.

Depends on how big the pavement is. I think if enough room for a wheelchair is left then it shouldn't be an issue. Not many pavements are that big though. The drop down pavement thingy is another thing that needs enforced more strongly as well. Although in fairness to motorists they are not always obvious.

sounds like another revenue raising scheme to me. do you really think wardens will use their discretion to determine if you are doing it to avoid blocking the road or not? nah, just slap a ticket and a fine on you.

easy quick win to try and plug some funding.

sounds like another revenue raising scheme to me. do you really think wardens will use their discretion to determine if you are doing it to avoid blocking the road or not? nah, just slap a ticket and a fine on you.

I wouldn't put anything past these evil bastards.

They'd do you for everything never mind a brief.

Edited by Flora MaDonald

That's what I was alluding too.

Pavements are for pedestrians and parking on the pavement is selfish. It's a pet hate of mine in the Southside.

I agree with that, I'm talking about bumping 2 wheels on a wide pavement.

As someone who has been walking with a pram/buggy for 2 years, I see some terrible and selfish pavement parking and feel your pain, but as a driver, I can also see where parking on the pavement can be done considerately to road and pavement users.

The point shed and I are making is that traffic wardens are unlikely to distinguish between the 2.

I agree with that, I'm talking about bumping 2 wheels on a wide pavement.

As someone who has been walking with a pram/buggy for 2 years, I see some terrible and selfish pavement parking and feel your pain, but as a driver, I can also see where parking on the pavement can be done considerately to road and pavement users.

The point shed and I are making is that traffic wardens are unlikely to distinguish between the 2.

correct. I am talking about the difference between absolute necessity and careless and selfish behaviour. Traffic wardens do not seperate the two.

Some places its necessary to park half on the pavement but you can do this while leaving some space. There are also places near me where full cara can park on the pavement and still leave plenty of space for pedestrians. The problem as others have said is distinguishing when to give a ticket. Seems OTT and purely for cash.

Some places its necessary to park half on the pavement but you can do this while leaving some space. There are also places near me where full cara can park on the pavement and still leave plenty of space for pedestrians. The problem as others have said is distinguishing when to give a ticket. Seems OTT and purely for cash.

Exactly. There's no way my road is passable without punters parking (sensibly) on the pavement.

Has she thought about fire engines, ambulances, etc, in this great scheme?

in my St we park half on pavement and road and just on the road on the other side.it means the pavement is clear on 1 side. But there is an old cow who insists on walking on the other side And complains to everyone and phones the police who have said ignore her as they can't book everyone in the St.

It's also worth noting that very few footpaths are constructed to carriageway spec, and as such are more prone to sinking if cars are routinely parked on them. That's also the case if two wheels or four are placed on them.

In addition to this main line services could be damaged if cars are parking on footpaths.

All in all it should be avoided.

A bigger problem for me is the folk that park their works van in the street taking up a space that could accommodate two or three cars!

People should just now work then

Ill accept cars parking on pavements when they are happy to accept pedestrians wandering around on the road with the good grace pedestrians are suppose to extend to the selfish bastards who see pavements as an extension of the carriageway.

Roads are for vehicles, cyclists included, pavements are for people.

Its really not a difficult concept.

Ill accept cars parking on pavements when they are happy to accept pedestrians wandering around on the road with the good grace pedestrians are suppose to extend to the selfish bastards who see pavements as an extension of the carriageway.

Roads are for vehicles, cyclists included, pavements are for people.

Its really not a difficult concept.

Its obviously not that simple and a lot of roads would be blocked if you went that way with it.