Scotland Squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Scott Bain (Dundee)

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)

Craig Forsyth (Derby County)

Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)

Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)

Andrew Robertson (Hull City)

Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders

Charlie Adam (Stoke City)

Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)

James Forrest (Celtic)

Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

James McArthur (Crystal Palace)

Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Steven Naismith (Everton)

Johnny Russell (Derby County)

I'd go;

Marshall

Hutton Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown D.Fletch

Morrison Maloney Anya

S.Fletch

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naismith will and should start.

I'd prefer S Fletch - just for the fact that I had a dream he scored the winner... :lol:

Morrison was excellent last night, he must start imo. Would also consider giving Ritchie a start in behind the striker.. Maloney may be a bit knackert with all the travelling

I'd go;

Marshall

Hutton Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown D.Fletch

Morrison Maloney Anya

S.Fletch

Mulgrew at centre back is bad enough at any time without having been out for so long. I'd have Berra in there but the rest of the defence is fine.

For midfield swap Morrison with Naismith, and put Maloney out wide.

Craig Gordon is a better keeper than Marshall but the latter has done well so far this campaign so no problem if he keeps the spot

Edited by At U Peter

Players that are unlucky not to get called up

Bardsley

Armstrong

Mackay-Steven

Phillips

McArthur

Rhodes

McCormack

Players that are lucky as hell to be in the squad

Forrest

Mulgrew

Bannan

Russell

I'm not sure the Ireland match is a game to throw in inexperienced guys like Armstrong and GMS, much as I believe they are worth a call-up in general.

I honestly don't understand why Maloney is an auto pick for so many.

Against Gibraltar I thought he was our worst player, poorer than some Gibraltar players. He's been constantly poor this campaign with the exception of that awesome goal against Ireland. Perhaps play him from the bench?

Even if people said "I'd pick Maloney because he's good luck" would make more sense. I don't particularly think Ritchie brings much as he seems so sheepish for a supposedly attacking midfielder, but his corners are not utterly embarrassing. I don't remember a good corner from Maloney this campaign, again with the exception of that awesome goal against Ireland. He's going to become the next Kenny Miller, if Strachan doesn't try bringing him on from the bench every now and again.

Edited by Tartan_Wolf

I'm not sure the Ireland match is a game to throw in inexperienced guys like Armstrong and GMS, much as I believe they are worth a call-up in general.

I get what you're saying but surely against qatar? If not them then when? Cant see Strachan picking them for Germany or Poland fixtures

I honestly don't understand why Maloney is an auto pick for so many.

Against Gibraltar I thought he was our worst player, poorer than some Gibraltar players. He's been constantly poor this campaign with the exception of that awesome goal against Ireland. Perhaps play him from the bench?

Even if people said "I'd pick Maloney because he's good luck" would make more sense. I don't particularly think Ritchie brings much as he seems so sheepish for a supposedly attacking midfielder, but his corners are not utterly embarrassing. I don't remember a good corner from Maloney this campaign, again with the exception of that awesome goal against Ireland. He's going to become the next Kenny Miller, if Strachan doesn't try bringing him on from the bench every now and again.

Performance wise he hasn't been great. He spent most of the Gibraltar game dribbling into players and losing the ball, or hitting it into row Z. I can't argue that he has not scored important goals, however. Four in all and a shot that led to an OG. That almost assures him of a place in the squad and maybe even the starting lineup. But your point about his performances is correct.

Be interesting to see how strachan plays. Assume S Fletcher starts. Anya and Maloney on the wings. Naismith behind Fletcher. Brown Morrison or D Fletcher, one would have to miss out.

Think this game is perfect for D Fletcher but maybe strachan will go for a similar team to the home game, so either him or Morrison replacing Mulgrew.

I get what you're saying but surely against qatar? If not them then when? Cant see Strachan picking them for Germany or Poland fixtures

What's the point of playing against Qatar when WGS will surely be wanting to get his team ready for Ireland?

Leave them till we have a standalone friendly, or a gimme like Gibraltar.

Leave them till we have a standalone friendly, or a gimme like Gibraltar.

Next standalone friendly will be November at the earliset (if we are not in the play off's) with March 2016 the next date IIRC.

With the Poland game added on to the Gibraltar match, there will be not much room top add new faces there (Gibraltar maybe depending on what the game will mean on the day)

Strachan probably knows 90% of his team for Dublin, and what will make up his bench.... this allows very little room for any fresh faces at the moment, and what he has added will probably have more chance of being involved in the Qatar game.

I think it will be well into next year before we see a squad with more than just 2 or 3 fresh faces in it as objective just now is work with what has got us this far for Strachan.

Edited by wanderer

Next standalone friendly will be November at the earliset (if we are not in the play off's) with March 2016 the next date IIRC.

With the Poland game added on to the Gibraltar match, there will be not much room top add new faces there (Gibraltar maybe depending on what the game will mean on the day)

Strachan probably knows 90% of his team for Dublin, and what will make up his bench.... this allows very little room for any fresh faces at the moment, and what he has added will probably have more chance of being involved in the Qatar game.

I think it will be well into next year before we see a squad with more than just 2 or 3 fresh faces in it as objective just now is work with what has got us this far for Strachan.

Agreed this game against Qatar is more of build up game to get players fitness up and also access there fitness.

And yes hopefully Gordon more than 90% sure of Eire side barring pull outs.

Still maintain cant see us losing this game draw a serious possibility.

Starting 11 v Republic of Ireland for me would be

----------------------Gordon

Hutton------Martin----------Mulgrew--------Robertson

---------Brown------D.Fletcher----------Anya

----------Maloney-------------------Naismith

------------------------S.Fletcher