Fantastic Time - Page 4 - Germany v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fantastic Time

ACKER FAE ORKNEY

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others I've only just recovered.

Absolute belter of a trip from start to finish. Dusseldorf was something else and totally jumping on Saturday night. We ended up in a rock bar but I couldnt even begin to tell you the name of it. Sunday we ended up

In Bochum for a few hours due to most of our party ready to pass out on the train up to Dortmund. Cracking day there then into Dortmund for around 4pm.

The atmosphere at the main square, the subway then the huge hotel/outdoor bar area was great but at the stadium it was something else entirely. The support was outstanding from start to finish and the reaction at the goal will go to my grave with me.

With regards the game itself I thought we were unlucky not to take something as we more than matched them in the second half. I'm actually amazed at the criticism directed at some of our players. A couple of individual errors in both final 3rds cost us a result but on the whole every player contributed and can hold their head up. Next couple of matches are crucial now.

We bit the bullit and paid 100 euro between 6 for a taxi back after the game rather than negotiating that train again. Seems to be mixed reports there so seems it was worth it.

Monday was supposed to be more civilised and whilst it did start off that way with us finally trying some local cuisine it soon descended into another day on the batter. Not even a stinking hangover and 3 hour delay at Brum yesterday can dampen this one though. Definitely one of the best away days I've been on. Well done to everyone who made it a cracking 4 days.

Ps wee mention to Danny, Barry and the lads from Dundee. Truly mental :)

Got home yesterday, spent today recovering. Brilliant trip - I always love going to Germany, but this trip was even better than I'd hoped for. The only disappointment was that we didn't get at least a point from the game!

We drove over to Dortmund via the Newcastle - Amsterdam ferry, which was party central on Friday night. Plenty of TA on board and a live band - which allowed a piper to do a wee set - ensured a wee bit of tiredness on the Saturday.

We got to Dortmund late afternoon after stopping off in Nijmegen (we visited Arnhem on the way home) and went out into the city at night. Superb atmosphere and we ended up in a pub called Ganse Markt, just off the square. Friendly staff / locals and cheap beer which was ideal.

We didn't spend long in the square on Sunday - we went out early to Strobels for Ted Christopher and my dad and I wanted to get into the stadium nice and early. What an atmosphere there though - the honey monster must've been knackered come kick off - and the Scots and German fans mixed brilliantly. We got chatting to a few Germans and they were absolutely brand new, remarking on how they looked forward to visiting for the return match. A couple of them couldn't quite believe the scale of the party that was going on! As I expected, they were good fun and very friendly.

The atmosphere in the stadium was electric and I don't think I've heard Flower of Scotland sung with such emotion or passion for a long time. And as for the goal celebrations - my word. Absolutely chaotic. I think I hugged near enough everyone in my row and the ones in front and behind! Just brilliant.

The only downside was the result but it was a great trip, and the drive to Dortmund from the ferry port was nice and easy. A trip that will live long in my memory - cannot wait to return to Warsaw next month!

Edited by HartyfaeLarbert

I was in dortmund all weekend and had a brilliant time and according to some early reports i was spotted buying a round or 2 :ok::yikes3: The locals were so nice and couldnt help enough although the taxi driver on the saturday night was a fecking lunatic.I was never so glad to get out at the hotel as he had no sense of traffic lights,pavements,roundabouts or anything like that.Met a lot of great folk who are now friends for life including a giant alan carr and a fat kevin bridges from wormit.Ludo was on our flight but he never once got his bugle out which is always disappointing when that happens.ha ha.The main square was brilliant both saturday night and all day sunday up till it was time to go to the stadium.Plenty drink and bratwurst was had by one and all.I was also good to see the inversneckie lads and my mates from methil even though they are east fife.We never once spoke about club teams on the tartan army trip well no until schiz shouted ya big rovers bassa from the other side of the pissin hausen :-)) :-)) Lots of yes stickers all round the square even some on the beer taps and windows.All in all a fantastic weekend despite being cheated out a result from that norwegian erse.

p.s when scotland scored i started crying for some reason like a big blouse and had to wipe away the tears to watch the game the same thing happened at full time before i shouted a bad language at the ref.

Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

saturday there was loads of t.a . trying to climb up the statue , some made it some didnt , usually the young got up it the older ones didnt , plenty got soaked , but i was surprised there wasnt any cracked heads after falling on the marble !

Aye we helped a few climb it on Sunday to put more flags etc on. Also saw a few cracking falls in the fountain but most folk just bounced back up, although we did rescue one older gent who was out his bin, tried to AIT on the chair in the middle and decked it haha.

Fantastic trip , Dusseldorf old town was jumping on Friday and Saturday night . Was in a mass sing song one minute then up the stairs watching a rock group the next . Have to thank whoever suggested the Duisburg game on the Saturday, brilliant atmosphere . Met loads of great characters like the Loon frae Aberdeen ,Gordon the drummer and the Buddies squad . Wondered what hit us when we arrived in Dortmund early Sunday morning , it was like a ghost town, but that didn't last for long . Great match not really spoiled by the train journey from hell ,28 stops , went through Wuppertal 4 times ( and I thought the East Coast Line was bad ) . Well done the Germans, you were great hosts !

Great trip as usual! Met lots of old and new mates. Very friendly atmosphere from Scots and Germans alike. Wasn't keen on the Brinkhoffs beer but it was awrite. The radlers were a saviour in the airport.

Voice has just about came back from all the singing. No long until Poland!

Wasn't even spoiled by a wee fanny flexing his muscles talking about being to more away games than anyone... while Ronnie McDevitt was sitting across the table from him who had just arrived in Dortmund from the U21 game in Slovakia. After pointing this out, he wanted to fight shouting "Am a boxer so a um". :lol:

Edited by OLAS

Fantastic trip , Dusseldorf old town was jumping on Friday and Saturday night . Was in a mass sing song one minute then up the stairs watching a rock group the next . Have to thank whoever suggested the Duisburg game on the Saturday, brilliant atmosphere . Met loads of great characters like the Loon frae Aberdeen ,Gordon the drummer and the Buddies squad . Wondered what hit us when we arrived in Dortmund early Sunday morning , it was like a ghost town, but that didn't last for long . Great match not really spoiled by the train journey from hell ,28 stops , went through Wuppertal 4 times ( and I thought the East Coast Line was bad ) . Well done the Germans, you were great hosts !

Aye the Loon certainly sticks out! was the train back really that long, mind we were alright in the wagon with the bar, so maybe thats why it didn't seem so long!

We had a great trip and the atmosphere created by the TA was amazing. Met a bunch of "older playing footballers" from Frankfurt who were on a weekend booze up in our hotel, the Trypp, and seemed to meet them every hour or two in some pub or another. Fantastic guys who were supporting Scotland by Sunday afternoon. Role on Poland.

Yeah, a fantastic trip from start to finish. First time in Germany and was not dissappointed, the locals were very friendly and will defo go back at some point. Stayed in Dusseldorf, really nice down by the Rhine and the Alstadt was jumping with TA and locals. Cracking day spent in outdoor area at Strobels next to stadium before the game with Ted Christopher gig too, done ourselves proud on the pitch, gutted to leave without a point!! :ok:

^^ This. That train was horrendous. Started out positively thinking it won't be too long to stand, but by about 90 minutes in the carriage was just bodies slumped on the floor, some piled on top of each other, looking like the aftermath of a zombie film.

The train journey from hell......at least it was free as it was included in the match ticket price. Wish I'd tried to bunk onboard the ICE though.

Agreed. This time last week we were on way back to hotel, this week now listening Pearce on MOTD.

It was worth every second though. As much as all the away trips are great ones like last week are few and far between. It was just everything was percect(apart from the result) the weather, the prices, the Germans.

Aye that's us . Is that " The Loon " . If so , you have achieved legendary status in the Borders .

Aye, I'm the "Gypit Loon" right enough!

Nice meeting you all. Real heavy night after we parted inspieght of saying we would wind down.

Thought I'd loose ma sphincter ? by the time I got home. Take care and regards to your group ?