Fantastic Time - Page 2 - Germany v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fantastic Time

ACKER FAE ORKNEY

The 50 minute train journey there was fine. The over 2 hour one that stopped at every tiny station was the problem

Similar issues for the train up to Dortmund on the Sunday morning ................ cause it was a local train, stopped everywhere and nae bog

We got off in Bochum cause my dad needed 'to use the facilities' and got on the next week 10 mins later!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant time had was great fun getting pished outside the train station in dormund speaking to the coppers who were as laid back as you wil ever see police. In the german end I would have went flying if it wasn't for the barriers when anya scored. I was surrounded by germans who looked stunned to see someone go mental like i did.

Train to dusseldorf was a nightmare after the game at least I bought a carryout or I think I would have died on the train.

Geman woman WOW especially the blonde lassie in dusseldorf on the Saturday who asked if she could put her hand up my ''bonnie dress'' as she called it. I was stunned but I never said no.

All in all it was an amazing trip and I am now hoping to get a ticket for Warsaw.

Had a great time but the hangover on Monday was dire, train back to Amsterdam from dortmund was brutal for me, just saat with my head against the seat in front trying not to whitey. Gutted about the result, just watched the game back and made me pissed off, ref really was awful.

Long trip for me travel wise - overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland - was going to get train to Amsterdam then to Dortmund - but friends who were driving via the Hull Rotterdam ferry picked me up at Schiedam station near Rotterdam . Spot of lunch in Arnhem - then driver managed to get to 1220 mph on German roads only to be flashed by some fooker telling him to get out of the way!

Spent Saturday in Dortmund square , Sunday at Strobels /Ted Christopher gig. Cracking atmosphere at both - loved the Honey Monster on stage and the guys with air guitars as Teds backing band. - cant see anything wrong with the city of Dortmund at all as a venue. Bit of a slow queue to get in stadium and lack of toilet facilities in the ground - otherwise impressive.

Taxi driver from hotel to Dortmund station was Turkish - said Scottish people great - but English not friendly - he was a Galatasaray fan and Souness is a legend for the flag planting with them- tax driver had Scotland the Brave on his CD.

Long journey back by train - Dortmund-Duisburg-Cologne-Brussels (time for a couple of beers and chocolate) - London-Preston-Blackpool.

Warsaw here we come.

Just got back into Aberdeen this morning, burnt clean out !! Brilliant trip, we stayed in Dortmund also, was glad we did especially after the game, couldn't be arssed travelling after that.

We made the café central just off the square our local, the owner was Croatian, brilliant guy, got us a round of drinks top lad.

went back their after the game, and it was mayhem :ok:

Only casualty we had was one lad walked into a lamppost and burst his eyebrow open :-))

Moved on to dusseldorf and stayed their Monday, it looked a great place for base right enough.

So all in all great time and thought the germans were really friendly, pity we didna get the draw as we played well 2nd half, what a bounce when wee anya scored !!

Nothing wrong with Dortmund. Great night on the saturday and sunday.

Got on one of the first trams back after the game. Square wasn't that busy. Only tables we could use were the ones just outside the bars. Put my glass on one table in the main big seating area and a waiter told me off, as they had just cleaned it up, and that if I sat on the chair more people would do it, and there were plenty of chairs outside the bar.

Ten minutes later he couldn't undo his seats quick enough as a few hundred more appeared.

I would rather have been stood there with a pint that on a train back to somewhere else.

I couldn't believe that there was four minutes between our equaliser and Germany's 2nd - felt as though I was celebrating for ages!

Cracking, excellent atmosphere both in the ground and Dortmund itself and the team did us proud.

Sometimes though TT it comes down to expenses. Myself, my older brother and his two sons were on a tight budget and managed to get a coach to Cologne and back for all of us for just over £100. We therefore felt it best to be based in Cologne which is a lovely city. The pre and post-match travelling wasn't ideal but we had to keep within a budget.

Sometimes though TT it comes down to expenses. Myself, my older brother and his two sons were on a tight budget and managed to get a coach to Cologne and back for all of us for just over £100. We therefore felt it best to be based in Cologne which is a lovely city. The pre and post-match travelling wasn't ideal but we had to keep within a budget

Can't argue with that, but prior to going over there were many posts on here about Dusseldorf being better than Dortmund for bars and pubs.

After the match whilst a load of people were planning to head back to Dusseldorf for a party, we were already having ours in Dortmund. And only a 10 minute stroll back to the hotel.

Regardless. Was a great weekend. And I'm sure most of us enjoyed ourselves. Where ever we stayed.

Great few days only slightly spoiled by the large group of fans outside Fattys Irish bar in Dusseldorf, kicking the football skywards and hearing the smashing of beer glasses when it landed and knocked over a table or two. Along with the 2 songs they knew consisting of We Hate England more than you and we fcukin hate England.. .

Just home this instant and what a trip! In the german end, may as well been the scotland end cos there were loads of us! The worst thing about the trip (apart from the hangovers of course) was that horrific 11:35 train from dortmund to dusseldorf that took over 2 hours! Only people on it will understand what i mean when i say it was pure and utter torture!

There was a train 20 mins later that took only 50 mins to get to Dusseldorf. We clocked from the scoreboard that the 1135 was going to stop at a million places, but the later train had only two stops. Not sure if our match tickets were valid on it (it was an IC train, not an ICE - no idea if there's a difference), but we got away with it. Not a guard in sight.

just back in at 2 this afternoon , 26 hours to get from dortmund to corby , because of the woman at luton airport who couldnt explain why she had straightners in her bag !! so they shut down the airport and blew them up ! great weekend in dortmund, square all day saturday , teds gig sunday , we werent half bad at the football either , and how there wasnt serious injuries at the fountain in the square ill never know !

Just home this instant and what a trip! In the german end, may as well been the scotland end cos there were loads of us! The worst thing about the trip (apart from the hangovers of course) was that horrific 11:35 train from dortmund to dusseldorf that took over 2 hours! Only people on it will understand what i mean when i say it was pure and utter torture!

Still recovering from it.

Great trip, we were also based in Dusseldorf, what a place, the Germans get a bad rep. but that's my 3rd time in Germany & iv always found them to be a friendly bunch. Teds gig was excellent as well, first time iv seen him I think. As for the goal, defo the maddest iv seen celebrations following Scotland, brilliant. Onwards and upwards with this team, gutted to have not taken something, but never expected to when the draw was made to be honest