Wot? No Aberdeen Thread? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wot? No Aberdeen Thread?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, Aberdeen need Celtic to win the Cup to avoid an earlier start to the season again!

Feck... so now I want Celtic to win the cup!*

*aye, I know, typical selfish "I'm alright Jack" Aberdonian

Balls to that.

I'll take the extra round in Europe and HIBS winning the Cup.

You're obviously not a pure Aberdonian like me then - the TAMB has decided we'll all selfish 'No' voting barstewards... Edited by Maq

Kenneth Farrington Logic in action.

Couldn't remember who was going on about that sh1te. But yes, he sounds about right!

There was a split opinion amongst us regarding wed nights performance. I thought it was pretty decent and should have been more comfortable. I thought we pretty much dominated throughout and but for 3 outstanding saves from Esson, the woodwork and yet another stone wall pen, we could have had a couple more. Others thought it was only slightly better than Saturday with the headed goal from a corner making the distinction.

Was pleasantly surprised at how well Robson and Flood played - the latter still managing to frustrate at times though. Rooney ran himself ragged again and gave both centre halves a handful. Logan also worthy of mention. Pawlett was extremely poor again. Makes little effort and seems to have no heart. He has to sort himself out very, very soon........

Anyway, if we were bottlers, surely we'd night would have been our opportunity to lose again?

Couldn't remember who was going on about that sh1te. But yes, he sounds about right!

There was a split opinion amongst us regarding wed nights performance. I thought it was pretty decent and should have been more comfortable. I thought we pretty much dominated throughout and but for 3 outstanding saves from Esson, the woodwork and yet another stone wall pen, we could have had a couple more. Others thought it was only slightly better than Saturday with the headed goal from a corner making the distinction.

Was pleasantly surprised at how well Robson and Flood played - the latter still managing to frustrate at times though. Rooney ran himself ragged again and gave both centre halves a handful. Logan also worthy of mention. Pawlett was extremely poor again. Makes little effort and seems to have no heart. He has to sort himself out very, very soon........

Anyway, if we were bottlers, surely we'd night would have been our opportunity to lose again?

Thought we a good bit better on Wednesday than Saturday without hitting the heights. Probably says more about how poor we were on Saturday.

I don't think Pawlett has been 100% fit all season. Been subbed quite a bit and quite often goes straight down the tunnel with the physio for treatment. Although he was named in the starting 11 on Wednesday I was waiting for a late change in the starting line up as he didn't take part in any of the shooting drills in the warm up - a case of him being nursed through whatever injury/niggle he has? I won't be surprised to see him not appear again as soon as 2nd secured.

Thought we a good bit better on Wednesday than Saturday without hitting the heights. Probably says more about how poor we were on Saturday.

I don't think Pawlett has been 100% fit all season. Been subbed quite a bit and quite often goes straight down the tunnel with the physio for treatment. Although he was named in the starting 11 on Wednesday I was waiting for a late change in the starting line up as he didn't take part in any of the shooting drills in the warm up - a case of him being nursed through whatever injury/niggle he has? I won't be surprised to see him not appear again as soon as 2nd secured.

Yes, that was my opinion of wed nights perforamnce too.

Pawlett looks injured, unfit and heartless! We heard McInnes shout "Peter, feckin' game up" early in the second half....which leads me to believe there might not be that much wrong with him. Also, when he noted McLean stripped and ready for action, he started bombing about the place, chasing down defenders. Rooney did that for 90 minutes. Something aint right. Who knows - I'm happy to go with not 100% fit or carrying an injury in the interests of cutting him some slack......

Yes, that was my opinion of wed nights perforamnce too.

Pawlett looks injured, unfit and heartless! We heard McInnes shout "Peter, feckin' game up" early in the second half....which leads me to believe there might not be that much wrong with him. Also, when he noted McLean stripped and ready for action, he started bombing about the place, chasing down defenders. Rooney did that for 90 minutes. Something aint right. Who knows - I'm happy to go with not 100% fit or carrying an injury in the interests of cutting him some slack......

McInnes' management of Pawlett this season has been shocking.

Pawlett is clearly a confidence player. Yet McInnes seems to have done everything to strip that confidence from him. Constantly subbing him, shunting him out of position and then dropping him completely to fit in Kenny McLean (who got about 10 games of being shite before being dropped).

The team is more important than Pawlett and so up until the last few weeks it's not been an issue. However, we've been struggling, a lot of our players have been struggling for form. We could've done with a dynamic, pacey attacker, with the ability to commit opponents and create space and chances for others. Unfortunately we've decided to do away with that in favour of 20-touches-McLean.

I do appreciate that it's easier to blame Pawlett than the way he's been managed though.

McInnes' management of Pawlett this season has been shocking.

Pawlett is clearly a confidence player. Yet McInnes seems to have done everything to strip that confidence from him. Constantly subbing him, shunting him out of position and then dropping him completely to fit in Kenny McLean (who got about 10 games of being shite before being dropped).

The team is more important than Pawlett and so up until the last few weeks it's not been an issue. However, we've been struggling, a lot of our players have been struggling for form. We could've done with a dynamic, pacey attacker, with the ability to commit opponents and create space and chances for others. Unfortunately we've decided to do away with that in favour of 20-touches-McLean.

I do appreciate that it's easier to blame Pawlett than the way he's been managed though.

It's a difficult one and I'm certainly not blaming Pawlett if that's what you are implying. I think he started the season very well. Home game against Groningen springs immediately to mind. Injuries and confidence aside though, there does seem to be a bit of a desire and involvement issue with Pawlett. Not sure he has been managed badly. We can't afford luxury players and at times that's what Pawlett is. I think this is what McInnes sees, hence the subbing etc. Unfortunately for Pawlett, he looks like he's become a victim of is own success and has been targetted and marked out of games. What I want from Pawlett in these instances is 110% graft. If he can't get on the ball, then make runs off it so there are spaces for others. That and close down the opposition. Make yourself a nuisance, just get involved however you can. Last few outings he hasn't really done anything other than let the game pass him by. I think it's just a part of his game he needs to work on. He needs to make himself harder to drop.

I hope it's just a bad spell and a result of fatigue or fitness. I would like nothing more than to see the Pawlett of this time last year back in our first 11.

Two league defeats in five months (both against Celtic) for 11 points clear of 3rd place bottle merchants Aberdeen

Aye, with our huge resources, we should have had 2nd wrapped up by Xmas.

Bottlers

It's a difficult one and I'm certainly not blaming Pawlett if that's what you are implying. I think he started the season very well. Home game against Groningen springs immediately to mind. Injuries and confidence aside though, there does seem to be a bit of a desire and involvement issue with Pawlett. Not sure he has been managed badly. We can't afford luxury players and at times that's what Pawlett is. I think this is what McInnes sees, hence the subbing etc. Unfortunately for Pawlett, he looks like he's become a victim of is own success and has been targetted and marked out of games. What I want from Pawlett in these instances is 110% graft. If he can't get on the ball, then make runs off it so there are spaces for others. That and close down the opposition. Make yourself a nuisance, just get involved however you can. Last few outings he hasn't really done anything other than let the game pass him by. I think it's just a part of his game he needs to work on. He needs to make himself harder to drop.

I hope it's just a bad spell and a result of fatigue or fitness. I would like nothing more than to see the Pawlett of this time last year back in our first 11.

I think you're doing something similar to what a lot of people down south do in regards to Ozil at Arsenal.

I don't think Pawlett is a lazy player. I think he works hard. I do agree that he's often not as involved as much as he should be. I'd like to see him be a bit more flexible in his movement - drop deeper to get the ball, interchange more with McGinn, etc. But i totally disagree that he's a lazy player.

I don't want him to just be running about for the sake of it anyway. He needs to ensure that he retains that bit explosiveness and change of pace - that's what sets him apart from most other players. I don't see players capable of producing moments of magic that win the game as a "luxury".

McInnes is doing a fantastic job but the way some of our younger players are being managed is concerning. (I'm thinking Smith in particular).

I think you're doing something similar to what a lot of people down south do in regards to Ozil at Arsenal.

I don't think Pawlett is a lazy player. I think he works hard. I do agree that he's often not as involved as much as he should be. I'd like to see him be a bit more flexible in his movement - drop deeper to get the ball, interchange more with McGinn, etc. But i totally disagree that he's a lazy player.

I don't want him to just be running about for the sake of it anyway. He needs to ensure that he retains that bit explosiveness and change of pace - that's what sets him apart from most other players. I don't see players capable of producing moments of magic that win the game as a "luxury".

McInnes is doing a fantastic job but the way some of our younger players are being managed is concerning. (I'm thinking Smith in particular).

I disagree on both Pawlett and Smith.

I think the manager, physios and Graham Kirk have been managing Pawlett's knocks/injury well by not asking too much of him.

On Smith he's simply unlucky that he plays in a position/s which others are doing well in and that in some games we haven't been far enough ahead to warrant a change to give someone longer game time - his time will come.

Shankland falls into the same category - I've said I don't think we should change the team to accommodate him and it contributed to the dropped points v Thistle. He was due a start but it did carry a risk in disrupting the team, His time will also come though,

1 defeat and 4 draws in 18 games makes it difficult for any manager to make changes to try different players especially when up until the Dundee game the team were at least on paper still chasing Celtic for the title.

Hmmmm, not sure I agree. Part of me thinks that Pawlett maybe just needs a feckin' rocket up his proverbial. Part of the problem might also be that he's been wrapped in cotton wool too much. McInnes has been very careful with him.

I'm not asking Pawlett to run around like a headless chicken - I want him to get invoved however he can. If that means rolling his sleeves up, so be it. He isn't doing that at the moment.

On Smith he's simply unlucky that he plays in a position/s which others are doing well in and that in some games we haven't been far enough ahead to warrant a change to give someone longer game time - his time will come.

Smith has been in and around the first team for 2.5 years. How many games has he started? Too few. A young player won't develop with only sporadic substitute appearances. We don't need to be 3-0 up to give a young player a game. They need to learn to cope and have pressure on them to make things happen.

Smith has been in and around the first team for 2.5 years. How many games has he started? Too few. A young player won't develop with only sporadic substitute appearances. We don't need to be 3-0 up to give a young player a game. They need to learn to cope and have pressure on them to make things happen.

I think he'd better going on loan for a spell just like Pawlett did.

He is still only 19 too.

Bar a few games when we've had injuries I've found it difficult to make a case for him starting.

Maybe if Jack goes and Robson isn't there next season he'll get much more game time but if the plan isn't to do that he'd be better off on loan at another Premiership club until Christmas.

I think he'd better going on loan for a spell just like Pawlett did.

He is still only 19 too.

Bar a few games when we've had injuries I've found it difficult to make a case for him starting.

Maybe if Jack goes and Robson isn't there next season he'll get much more game time but if the plan isn't to do that he'd be better off on loan at another Premiership club until Christmas.

I'm not suggesting starting him all the time. I do think however, in order for him to become the best he can be, he needs to be given more chances. Developing our young players should be a a priority. We've had a fair few games this season that we've won very comfortably (and that we expected to win comfortably before the game), we've had ample opportunity to give Smith a game.

As for Shankland, he should've had even more chances. Earlier in the year we were playing with Rooney wide and the ineffectual Goodie through the middle. We've had chances to give our young players a game, McInnes has chosen not to.