Goal Or Not? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal Or Not?

I don't know if it's just the fact everything gets analysed to death these days but the standard of reffing seems to get worse all the time. It seems like every game there's some complete howler that everyone in the ground can see was wrong. It's not just the big stuff either but giving throw-ins the wrong way, corner for a goal-kick/vice-versa, sending players back to take a throw-in then ignoring when they bomb 5 yards forward from where they started. They are supposed to be fitter & better trained but I'd swear blind, rose-tinted glasses & all that when it was "Bill Bloggs is a postman from Bognor Regis" it was never this bad.

I don't know if it's just the fact everything gets analysed to death these days

I think that's definitely a factor! Even more so now that we all so easily have access to clips circulated online. (Even 5 years ago, I'd almost certainly not have seen this clip..)

To stick up for the refs and linesman, for every howler, there will be a good few 50/50 calls that we'll call wrong or need 5 replays to decide and they call it right without this help.

Given the speed the technology is advancing at, it seems only right that this assistance could be used in some way by the officials like in rugby etc. goal line technology is possibly only the start?

According to the radio there was a good example in the Dundee v Aberdeen game. Dundee player handles in the box, reg can see it hit him (so gives corner) but not sure it hit his hand (so can't give penalty), this would be a textbook case where a video ref says "handball, penalty" with only a short delay.

Some of the tight offside calls you see, and 9/10 they call correctly, you could argue it's quite impressive.

I think that's definitely a factor! Even more so now that we all so easily have access to clips circulated online. (Even 5 years ago, I'd almost certainly not have seen this clip..)

To stick up for the refs and linesman, for every howler, there will be a good few 50/50 calls that we'll call wrong or need 5 replays to decide and they call it right without this help.

Given the speed the technology is advancing at, it seems only right that this assistance could be used in some way by the officials like in rugby etc. goal line technology is possibly only the start?

According to the radio there was a good example in the Dundee v Aberdeen game. Dundee player handles in the box, reg can see it hit him (so gives corner) but not sure it hit his hand (so can't give penalty), this would be a textbook case where a video ref says "handball, penalty" with only a short delay.

Some of the tight offside calls you see, and 9/10 they call correctly, you could argue it's quite impressive.

Yes I think you're right to be fair about the big things & maybe the little things were always half right half wrong. Mind you in our last two games we've had a ref/lino combination both awarding a goal then changing their minds after player protests & a ref sending the wrong guy off, reinstating him & sending someone else off.