4 Months In The Clink For Singing The Billy Boys - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 Months In The Clink For Singing The Billy Boys

This is a power thing. All these words are about power. The powerful call you a Jock, Taff, Paddy, etc, because that's what they use while telling you what to do and where your place is.

"Daft Paddy/Jock/Taff had to spend the next 2 hours shovelling shit".

If you have never been in charge you don't have a name for the powerful except . And even then it's never toes to their face.

I tried to explain to my Inlaws why in a sporting context everyone hates England. Especially the "British" nations.

It's a master v servant thing.

J

Yep. It's derogatory and condescending. I hate it particularly when used collectively - "you jocks". As someone says, given there is no English equivalent, it says it all.

Anyway if someone comes up to Scotland and refers to the local population all the time as "jocks", he should get lifted simply for being a whanker..........

It's time this sort of stuff is stamped out for good. Everyone seems powerless to be able to do anything about people singing these songs.

You seen the recent sevco game against Raith - which was highlighted by Stan Collymore - and nothing was done.

The Rangers keep getting TV deals and sponsoring whilst their fans sing this bile. If someone has been jailed for singing these kind of songs then I applaud that and I hope they keep getting jailed until this is stopped for good!

Sassenach just means English in Gaelic does it not. So not really a similar slang term like jock or taffy.

It means 'Saxon' and so is a term directly related to ethnicity, whereas 'Jock' is the Scottish equivalent of 'Jack' (in terms of its origin, and so gets its generalizing sense in the same way as 'Jack' is used in "Every man-Jack of you" or "every Jack must have his Jill").

One early example from the 1580s was in a 'flyting' by noted rappers of their day Alexander Montgomerie and Patrick Hume, in which Hume hits Montgomerie with: "Feard flyar, loud lyar, gooked gleyar on the gallows! / Jock Blunt, deid runt! I sall dunt whill I slay thee."

It's a Scots term for 'the common man' in origin, and judging by the number of user-names that incorporate it on here, not all Scots consider it offensive, so I suppose some English folk may find it a bit confusing. Can't say I've ever used it though.

It's a Scots term for 'the common man' in origin, and judging by the number of user-names that incorporate it on here, not all Scots consider it offensive, so I suppose some English folk may find it a bit confusing. Can't say I've ever used it though.

My father was always called Jock. One of his claims to fame was he worked with Steve Nicol's uncle who was also called Jock - imaginative folks dawn sarf. Mind you when we went back to visit relatives in Dundee he was always called Dick so maybe it was the lesser of two evils!

Edited by Hertsscot

This is a power thing. All these words are about power. The powerful call you a Jock, Taff, Paddy, etc, because that's what they use while telling you what to do and where your place is.

If you have never been in charge you don't have a name for the powerful except . And even then it's never toes to their face.

I tried to explain to my Inlaws why in a sporting context everyone hates England. Especially the "British" nations.

J

Although interestingly both Australians / NZers and Americans / Canadians do have derogatory words for the English. As do the French, of course.

Guest flumax

Although interestingly both Australians / NZers and Americans / Canadians do have derogatory words for the English. As do the French, of course.

has anyone ever got upset by POM, limey or ros bif (sp??)

It means 'Saxon' and so is a term directly related to ethnicity,

I thought Sasson was Saxon and Sassonach was Saxon Man

as in Alba = Scotland and Albanach = Scottish Man..

Not much difference although i though Sassonach was used to describe all non Gaelic speakers, so lowlanders are Sassonachs as well.

So is Jock !!!! (puts tin hat on )

On a serious note Jock isnt racist and neither is Nigel or Sassenach, both of which I would laugh at if a Jock called me either ;-)

When I lived in hertfordshire I had some lively banter with the locals. I used to throw "Nigel" about a fair bit until I got dubbed "Lindsay" by folk in my work. I wound my neck in after that!!!

J

Why do you sign off with J for Jock then?

I hate England in a sporting context is because they gub us all the time - football, cricket and now rugby. Oh, and not to mention they came up here and took the Justin Fash in the Commonwealths as well.

What about Scouser, Cockney, Brummie, Geordie etc . ?

Nobby we don't mind the Scouser coz that's what we are, we don't mind Scouse coz that's what i am it's normally the word that follows we don't like which sounds like Sir Roger Hunt, We can also handle the thieving wheeltrim jokes coz that what we were. :-))