Short Break In Scotland Advice - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Short Break In Scotland Advice

Although I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the world I've not done a lot of travelling round our country. Want to book a short trip somewhere "up north" (originally from Stirling but now live in the weige) any advice on where to go, 2 or 3 nights only.

Ideally;

3 hours or less of a drive from Glasgow although not a deal breaker

A hotel stay rather than self catering

Plenty to see or do nearby eg walking,sightseeing,distillery etc

Ideally hotel close to a small town so can go to a few pubs at night

Have been to Blair Atholl last year which I liked. Have been looking at Skye or Fort William so far ...

Thanks!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your list Skye is a must and there's actually a 3 night deal going at the Skeabost Country House hotel near Portree that I can highly recommend. I did this deal last year and it was a fecking bargain.

https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/1363206-isle-of-skye-country-house-hotel?afsrc=1&city_id=69-glasgow&city_name=Glasgow&cvosrc=email.blast.digest_escapesukie&msdc_id=69-glasgow&utm_campaign=digest_escapesukie&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast#

In no particular order,

Inverness always good for a few days, and drams.

Gleneagles always nice and top notch food.

Dunkeld, good deals dbb with hilton and quaint town, that ticks all boxes.

North Berwick again good hotel, and plenty to do.

Saint Andrews, first class, and good choice of hotels.

Or close to hand for you's, bishopton and mar hall.

Depends on your budget.

But st Andrews and dunkeld always good.

From your list Skye is a must and there's actually a 3 night deal going at the Skeabost Country House hotel near Portree that I can highly recommend. I did this deal last year and it was a fecking bargain.

https://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/1363206-isle-of-skye-country-house-hotel?afsrc=1&city_id=69-glasgow&city_name=Glasgow&cvosrc=email.blast.digest_escapesukie&msdc_id=69-glasgow&utm_campaign=digest_escapesukie&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast#

Islay.

Two good suggestions there. Although Skye is a bit more than 3 hrs from Glasgow.

Islay you can do fly/drive from GLA if it suits.

Aviemore. Loads to do during the day whether it be walking, climbing or something more adventurous like zip-lining or the many other sports around the area. At least half a dozen bars, music every night in The Cairngorm Hotel which is also a great spot to stay with fantastic food. Just a 45 minute drive to Inverness and likewise to distilleries such as Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet & Glenfiddich. Sunday lunch on the Steam train to Boat of Garten is a nice relaxing way to top off a great weekend. You's would have a blast!!! Oh & you might bump into Spud the Piper....... or me singing in the Cairngorm ;)

Thanks for the tips so far.

Like the sound of Skye, Dunkeld, Aviemore so far. Looking for a wee town rather than Aberdeen or Inverness.

I always liked the look of Tobermory but apparently not as much to do there as say Portree/Skye?

Edited by broono83

Thanks for the tips so far.

Like the sound of Skye, Dunkeld, Aviemore so far. Looking for a wee town rather than Aberdeen or Inverness.

I always liked the look of Tobermory but apparently not as much to do there as say Portree/Skye?

Never been to Tobermory. But Portree's good. Boat tours to see wildlife....Sea Eagle e.g.