Stirling Uni Fc - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a right-on tree-hugger, but...

Surely the issue of skin lightening is completely different. The equivalent of palefaces getting themselves a nice tan.

But it's nothing to do with parodying another race.

Very big in Thailand as well.

It is a local asian snobbery thing and not a white supremacist thing. If you have a labouring job in Asia, i.e. roads, agriculture, you are in the blazing sun all day long, big hat and robes accepted... You are well toasted and have that farmers look of being well sunned. Yon posh asian types in contrast are in the shade, lounging by their mansion lake or perhaps doing office work, in a (now) air conned building... So the the rich are associated with 'pale' and the minkers 'suntanned'. This pale/rich perception goes back a long time in asia I understand.

Edited by thplinth

It is a local asian snobbery thing and not a white supremacist thing. If you have a labouring job in Asia, i.e. roads, agriculture, you are in the blazing sun all day long, big hat and robes accepted... You are well toasted and have that farmers look of being well sunned. Yon posh asian types in contrast are in the shade, lounging by their mansion lake or perhaps doing office work, in a (now) air conned building... So the the rich are associated with 'pale' and the minkers 'suntanned'. This pale/rich perception goes back a long time in asia I understand.

Interesting. That's almost the exact opposite of western culture, where a suntan is considered a sign of wealth, i.e. you can afford to holiday in some exotic foreign climb (even though you've actually obtained your tan via a sunbed in some manky high street "salon" and in the process increased your chances of getting skin cancer exponentially).

Interesting. That's almost the exact opposite of western culture, where a suntan is considered a sign of wealth, i.e. you can afford to holiday in some exotic foreign climb (even though you've actually obtained your tan via a sunbed in some manky high street "salon" and in the process increased your chances of getting skin cancer exponentially).

Origins of term 'redneck' stems from guys/farmers working in the fields

Usually easy to spot these days dressed in hunting camo in the local Walmart

Anyone see the mad men episode where Roger blacked up but some characters still uneasy with it

I know it's make believe but they always tried to highlight the attitudes of the time correctly

- hiring of their first black secretary etc