A Proper Journalist - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'd like to be a journalist, hard to do though considering it would be shyte to work for any of the mainstream media outlets, and current climate doesn't really support investigative journalism as much, with everything bit-size little room for complicated stories months in the making.

I'd like to be a journalist, hard to do though considering it would be shyte to work for any of the mainstream media outlets, and current climate doesn't really support investigative journalism as much, with everything bit-size little room for complicated stories months in the making.

Thats the thing. I dont understand why a Scottish journalist or a newspaper doesnt breaks ranks with Labour et al. There must be decades of dirt that could sell tens of thousands of papers and it would surely be a breath of fresh to treat all parties with equal contempt and be able to go and do a proper without restraint or favour. I'd love to be a journalist too if Im being honest and I think it would be a buzz to break a major story. There's just no way I'd play the game like many do currently.

Edited by Auld_Reekie

Thats the thing. I dont understand why a Scottish journalist or a newspaper doesnt breaks ranks with Labour et al. There must be decades of dirt that could sell tens of thousands of papers and it would surely be a breath of fresh to treat all parties with equal contempt and be able to go and do a proper without restraint or favour. I'd love to be a journalist too if Im being honest and I think it would be a buzz to break a major story. There's just no way I'd play the game like many do currently.

Strathclyde University runs a masters programme for investigative journalism, speaking to a few folk they reckon starting your own site and just putting articles up as you learn to find your voice is probably the best way to go, as too much compromising of integrity involved going through the ranks these days.

Strathclyde University runs a masters programme for investigative journalism, speaking to a few folk they reckon starting your own site and just putting articles up as you learn to find your voice is probably the best way to go, as too much compromising of integrity involved going through the ranks these days.

You should get in about that.

Its just the political version of succulent lamb. Your friend/contact/source tells you something and you write it up unquestioned.

Stenographer is the term Phil Mac giolla uses and its spot on on.

With the advent of social media and the internet getting your message out has never been easier than before. Without the internet I don't think the referendum would have been nearly as close as it actually was, people can make their voices heard and governments HATE that, that's why they keep trying to censor us.

With the advent of social media and the internet getting your message out has never been easier than before. Without the internet I don't think the referendum would have been nearly as close as it actually was, people can make their voices heard and governments HATE that, that's why they keep trying to censor us.

There's also the balance on the other side, that unverified reporting via social media causes massive problems. For example after the Boston marathon bombing, folk on social media (redditt I believe) had posted pictures of people the Police were looking into, other users on the thread managed to track down who the people were. They were wrong and it resulted in innocent people receiving death threats and threats of rape. The program Newsroom covered this in good detail.

Also, on the recent Glasgow bin lorry crash, people were posting that they had seen a pregnant women and kids being killed etc. Social media is good for getting stories out into the open. Unfortunately, those stories are even more open to being bullshit than regular reporting.