Sru Offer Murrayfield To Sfa - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sru Offer Murrayfield To Sfa

wanderer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting to murrayfield is as much of a nightmare as hampden. Plus the pitch is too far away fae the stands.

are you serious?

Murrayfield couldnt be much easier for a stadium of its size - compared to Hampden its a dream from city centre. its walkable from the centre in about 25 mins. barring that you can get buses and now a tram directly there and if you head out early plenty of pubs within 5-10 mins walking time to drink in.

plenty more decent pubs to suit all tastes within 15 minutes walk of the place, from Roseburn, Gorgie, Polwarth, Haymarket, Dalry, and even more on the corstorphine road. the place is surrounded by options.

the view from 3 stands is no further away than hampden and because of the gradient the view from all seats is better.

are you serious?

Murrayfield couldnt be much easier for a stadium of its size - compared to Hampden its a dream from city centre. its walkable from the centre in about 25 mins. barring that you can get buses and now a tram directly there and if you head out early plenty of pubs within 5-10 mins walking time to drink in.

plenty more decent pubs to suit all tastes within 15 minutes walk of the place, from Roseburn, Gorgie, Polwarth, Haymarket, Dalry, and even more on the corstorphine road. the place is surrounded by options.

Hmmmmmm Hampden only gets a bashing about transport because everyone just heads for the one bus stop or Mount Florida Train Station, when there is something like 3 or 4 other stations easily within a 10-15 minute walk.....

I can walk Hampden to City Centre in a good 40 minutes.

Parking at Murrayfield I have always found to be a nightmare, though Hampden is not much better.

I would say there is just as many pubs to Hampden within a similar radius.....

Hmmmmmm Hampden only gets a bashing about transport because everyone just heads for the one bus stop or Mount Florida Train Station, when there is something like 3 or 4 other stations easily within a 10-15 minute walk.....

I can walk Hampden to City Centre in a good 40 minutes.

Parking at Murrayfield I have always found to be a nightmare, though Hampden is not much better.

I would say there is just as many pubs to Hampden within a similar radius.....

try getting home to the east from a nightime game by public transport,not doeable

try getting home to the east from a nightime game by public transport,not doeable

Surely then by having home games in the east you'd just reverse the problem? After the Hearts v Thistle game at the end of last season I had to stand all the way from Haymarket to Queen Street - if Scotrail can't cope with 1,000 Thistle fans at Tynecastle (most of whom would have actually travelled by car or supporters' bus) I can't imagine Haymarket would be set up to cope with the thousands that would flock there after a big Scotland game at Murrayfield. Glasgow has two large railway stations to disperse thousands of people - fans heading home from Murrayfield to Falkirk, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayshire, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness etc. would all have to use Haymarket unless they fancy the extra hike to Waverley only to then double back on themselves when they got on a train.

Anyway, the national team being permanently based in Edinburgh just wouldn't seem right! Glasgow is undoubtedly the home of Scottish football; as I said earlier in this thread if folk in Edinburgh had been interested in football the SFA would have been founded there (I think something like six out of the eight clubs that founded the SFA came from Glasgow and the other two came from Alexandria and Kilmarnock).

Edited by Charlie Endell

Surely then by having home games in the east you'd just reverse the problem? After the Hearts v Thistle game at the end of last season I had to stand all the way from Haymarket to Queen Street - if Scotrail can't cope with 1,000 Thistle fans at Tynecastle (most of whom would have actually travelled by car or supporters' bus) I can't imagine Haymarket would be set up to cope with the thousands that would flock there after a big Scotland game at Murrayfield. Glasgow has two large railway stations to disperse thousands of people - fans heading home from Murrayfield to Falkirk, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayshire, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness etc. would all have to use Haymarket unless they fancy the extra hike to Waverley only to then double back on themselves when they got on a train.

Anyway, the national team being permanently based in Edinburgh just wouldn't seem right! Glasgow is undoubtedly the home of Scottish football; as I said earlier in this thread if folk in Edinburgh had been interested in football the SFA would have been founded there (I think something like six out of the eight clubs that founded the SFA came from Glasgow and the other two came from Alexandria and Kilmarnock).

so lets keep it the way it is because it has always been that way....zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

nothing to do with volume of supporters its public transport/ train times that's the problem,anyone staying any further east than edinburgh is struggling to get home Edited by Langtonian

nothing to do with volume of supporters its public transport/ train times that's the problem,anyone staying any further east than edinburgh is struggling to get home

There can't be that many from North Berwick and Dunbar :wink2:.

That's down to abysmal public transport system we have in Scotland, not Hampden.

There can't be that many from North Berwick and Dunbar :wink2:.

That's down to abysmal public transport system we have in Scotland, not Hampden.

Aye but coming from the east we suffer it every home game. Then at the thought of Murray field being used suddenly its an issue for west coasters...

After speaking to a number of people, after visits in cups and for Scotland games to Celtic Park and Ibrox over the last years, was shocked at the amount of people pining to get back to Hampden (even folk who used to go on and on about how bad Hampden is).

Maybe we are just stuck in the past, just like the dinosaurs in our governing body. Perhaps we really do deserve SFA.

Just because you and a few others don't like it. Many of us do and wouldn't change Hampden. I have to travel from London for home games so travelling from the east coast isn't really so far.

After speaking to a number of people, after visits in cups and for Scotland games to Celtic Park and Ibrox over the last years, was shocked at the amount of people pining to get back to Hampden (even folk who used to go on and on about how bad Hampden is).

I'm the opposite. I was 100 percent against it. Now I'm 100 percent for it. Hampdens shite.

are you serious?

the view from 3 stands is no further away than hampden and because of the gradient the view from all seats is better.

From the pics i will agree with ye. But ive been to a couple of games at murrayfield and felt i was quite far from the action. driving and getting parked at murrayfield (i understand might not be an issue for all ta) has always been a bit of a pain. I'm not saying hampden is any better, think i just prefer hampden. But thats a personal choice, although can see peoples greviances with it. Public transport is a nightmare for these games especially with this week of football sh**e.

Build a new stadium at Harthill Services then you can all keep whinging about who has more difficulty getting home to East or West FFS....

Hampden is the home of Scottish football....FACT...

We know it's the home of Scottish football, is that a reason for us to remain there? teams move all the time if the move is going to benefit the team or association

We know it's the home of Scottish football, is that a reason for us to remain there? teams move all the time if the move is going to benefit the team or association

Moving to Murrayfield would only benefit the SRU.

Aside from anything else it makes sense to play at a stadium in the heart of Scotland's largest conurbation.

The SFA would be able to tell us (but they won't) the geographical breakdown (by post code) of ticket sales.

Edited by Charlie Endell