Murphy Comments On Hopkins - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Murphy Comments On Hopkins

Aye, she probably is only on the wind-up, but the "I was only joking" or "I didnae mean it" excuses haven't cut much ice for ordinary punters who have posted offensive comments online in the past. I don't see why the 'celebrity' Ms Hopkins should be treated any differently.

Also, if the subject of her wind-up had been black people, or gay people, or Eastern European people, or people with disabilities, who on here would be advocating just ignoring her then? She might not have meant a word of what she tweeted but she has form for this - she made a similar 'joke' after the Clutha tragedy, IIRC, and got away with that. And now we have this, just over a week after the tragedy in George Square. In that context, it is poorly timed at best; at worst it borders on - I hate this term, it sounds so Orwellian - hate speech. The trouble with letting folk off the hook for this type of thing is that it normalises prejudice, it softens it, it makes it alright. This then encourages people who really do, for whatever reason, mean it to take it to other levels.

Aside from the anti-Scottish pish, the 'sweaty Jock' in question was a nurse who fell ill after visiting Africa to help people. Even if you are unhappy with the UK's current constitutional set-up or even if hating Scotland or Scottish people is socially acceptable (which it now appears to be for some folk) how can anyone with a scrap of decency treat which such flippancy the dire circumstances of someone who has dedicated their life to making other people better? Even from a purely human, survival-of-the-species point of view, there is something profoundly self-defeating about wishing ill upon someone capable of making other human beings better.

Apologies for the mope-athon everybody, but I had to get that off my chest. :blush:

Aye, she probably is only on the wind-up, but the "I was only joking" or "I didnae mean it" excuses haven't cut much ice for ordinary punters who have posted offensive comments online in the past. I don't see why the 'celebrity' Ms Hopkins should be treated any differently.

Also, if the subject of her wind-up had been black people, or gay people, or Eastern European people, or people with disabilities, who on here would be advocating just ignoring her then? She might not have meant a word of what she tweeted but she has form for this - she made a similar 'joke' after the Clutha tragedy, IIRC, and got away with that. And now we have this, just over a week after the tragedy in George Square. In that context, it is poorly timed at best; at worst it borders on - I hate this term, it sounds so Orwellian - hate speech. The trouble with letting folk off the hook for this type of thing is that it normalises prejudice, it softens it, it makes it alright. This then encourages people who really do, for whatever reason, mean it to take it to other levels.

Aside from the anti-Scottish pish, the 'sweaty Jock' in question was a nurse who fell ill after visiting Africa to help people. Even if you are unhappy with the UK's current constitutional set-up or even if hating Scotland or Scottish people is socially acceptable (which it now appears to be for some folk) how can anyone with a scrap of decency treat which such flippancy the dire circumstances of someone who has dedicated their life to making other people better? Even from a purely human, survival-of-the-species point of view, there is something profoundly self-defeating about wishing ill upon someone capable of making other human beings better.

Apologies for the mope-athon everybody, but I had to get that off my chest. :blush:

Agree 100%. Its too easy to say "celebrity bawbag" but reality is she's a nasty piece of shit. And if it was the other way round the mail etc would be in overdrive. The police need to have a word.

Aye, she probably is only on the wind-up, but the "I was only joking" or "I didnae mean it" excuses haven't cut much ice for ordinary punters who have posted offensive comments online in the past. I don't see why the 'celebrity' Ms Hopkins should be treated any differently.Also, if the subject of her wind-up had been black people, or gay people, or Eastern European people, or people with disabilities, who on here would be advocating just ignoring her then? She might not have meant a word of what she tweeted but she has form for this - she made a similar 'joke' after the Clutha tragedy, IIRC, and got away with that. And now we have this, just over a week after the tragedy in George Square. In that context, it is poorly timed at best; at worst it borders on - I hate this term, it sounds so Orwellian - hate speech. The trouble with letting folk off the hook for this type of thing is that it normalises prejudice, it softens it, it makes it alright. This then encourages people who really do, for whatever reason, mean it to take it to other levels.Aside from the anti-Scottish pish, the 'sweaty Jock' in question was a nurse who fell ill after visiting Africa to help people. Even if you are unhappy with the UK's current constitutional set-up or even if hating Scotland or Scottish people is socially acceptable (which it now appears to be for some folk) how can anyone with a scrap of decency treat which such flippancy the dire circumstances of someone who has dedicated their life to making other people better? Even from a purely human, survival-of-the-species point of view, there is something profoundly self-defeating about wishing ill upon someone capable of making other human beings better.Apologies for the mope-athon everybody, but I had to get that off my chest. :blush:

Great post

Good God. A clever man too.

:lol:

Apologies Flora, I was hoping someone other than your good self would bite. I was having a giggle at Murphy earlier on Facebook with Cove and decided to see if I could get a rise out of anyone... But I love you too much to continue :)

I still laugh at her having a go at people who name their children after geographic names such as Brooklyn or Paris, and wouldn't let her kids play with such children. Then Phillip Schofield pointed out that her daughters name was India.

LOL! Snobby/racist/bigoted cow.

J

I still laugh at her having a go at people who name their children after geographic names such as Brooklyn or Paris, and wouldn't let her kids play with such children. Then Phillip Schofield pointed out that her daughters name was India.

LOL! Snobby/racist/bigoted cow.

J

It's getting tiresome. Murphy has taken to Twitter to stick up for the Scots against a sickening internet troll and yet some still want to have a dig. It makes me sad :(

Are you serious??? :shocked: I know you like to be contrary but honestly........wow

:lol:

Apologies Flora, I was hoping someone other than your good self would bite. I was having a giggle at Murphy earlier on Facebook with Cove and decided to see if I could get a rise out of anyone... But I love you too much to continue :)

Are you serious??? :shocked: I know you like to be contrary but honestly........wow

:)