Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions? - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Improving Scottish Football - Suggestions?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Taylor report doesn't cover Scotland.

Also, 'standing' doesn't effect crowd size, it would just mean that those who already attend will stand rather than sit.

Why did all clubs move to all seater stadia. Did they volunteer ?

I am saying crushing is less likely in a 6k crowd than a 40k crowd.

The installation of all seater stadia in scotland was a huge waste of financial resource and was to the detrament of the atmosphere at gorunds.

"All seater" was the fashion at the time.

As a Killie fan it's easy to forget just how amazing Rugby Park was when it was rebuilt.

The novelty has worn off now though. Things would be done differently today if starting from scratch with standing areas incorporated, but unfortunately there's no money around to do that...

"All seater" was the fashion at the time.

As a Killie fan it's easy to forget just how amazing Rugby Park was when it was rebuilt.

The novelty has worn off now though. Things would be done differently today if starting from scratch with standing areas incorporated, but unfortunately there's no money around to do that...

Yep.

Aberdeen have ruled out bringing in a standing area at Pittodrie but have said they could consider it for the new stadium (if the council ever actually allow a new stadium).

Yep.

Aberdeen have ruled out bringing in a standing area at Pittodrie but have said they could consider it for the new stadium (if the council ever actually allow a new stadium).

Are 2 sides of Pittodrie not just a terrace with seats on? Or is it just a very early stand?

Motherwell could just rip out the seats in the last 2 sections of the east stand, put in Some crash barriers, and away we go!

(Or give the green brigade the last 2 sections on their next visit...)

Yep.

ACC are good for one thing. Leaving Pittodrie would be bad news for AFC (and I say this as someone who worked for the company which used to repair all the concrete steps etc at the ground - so I know how much these cost annually).

£10? That would be the death of the game.

Crowds would go up, but nowhere near enough to stop clubs losing a huge amount of money.

Most German league games are no more than £10, like 14 euros get into, least they reward fans for loyality by keeping prices down, no fitba game should be anymore than £10, the clubs pay out to much money to players, just reduce the amount money players get here. We will never have great tv deal to subsidise us but time to get back to fitba being a working mans game, as too many are priced out of it, rather see 9000 motherwell fans pay £10 instead of 4500 pay £20 and se stadium more full. I dont mind paying ticket prices for Scotland as its not very often games come up caompared to league games every week but gone are days i go to league game again until prices are dropped, not worth the money sit in freezing cold to watch what i can only consider rubbish

I think there's a middle ground, £20+ is too expensive, and £10 is probably too cheap.

I'd price it at £15.

It probably wouldn't see the crowds increase overnight to provide the same income, but at the moment we are seeing crowds drop, at the top of the list of reasons is price or value for money.

At £15, folk would be wiling to accept some of the other problems.

Safe standing area, and creating a more friendly enjoyable matchday experience for away fans are also right on top of any list!

Most German league games are no more than £10, like 14 euros get into, least they reward fans for loyality by keeping prices down, no fitba game should be anymore than £10, the clubs pay out to much money to players, just reduce the amount money players get here. We will never have great tv deal to subsidise us but time to get back to fitba being a working mans game, as too many are priced out of it, rather see 9000 motherwell fans pay £10 instead of 4500 pay £20 and se stadium more full. I dont mind paying ticket prices for Scotland as its not very often games come up caompared to league games every week but gone are days i go to league game again until prices are dropped, not worth the money sit in freezing cold to watch what i can only consider rubbish

Prices will never, ever, ever, ever be £10. Ever. If you really think that'd do anything other than destroy the game you're delusional.

Prices will never, ever, ever, ever be £10. Ever. If you really think that'd do anything other than destroy the game you're delusional.

I actually agree with you.

£15 could be workable though in my opinion.

Been at several cup ties at fir park and away where that price HAS brought in a decent crowd, despite not being on the season ticket.

Also that leads onto having something to play for also bringing out the crowds...

I actually agree with you.

£15 could be workable though in my opinion.

Been at several cup ties at fir park and away where that price HAS brought in a decent crowd, despite not being on the season ticket.

Also that leads onto having something to play for also bringing out the crowds...

Having something to play for is something that will bring out crowds. Motherwell crowds baffle me TBH. Other teams who've performed well the last couple of years have seen crowds grow, Motherwell's have dropped. Maybe everyone in Motherwell expects to get into fitbaw for £10?

Having something to play for is something that will bring out crowds. Motherwell crowds baffle me TBH. Other teams who've performed well the last couple of years have seen crowds grow, Motherwell's have dropped. Maybe everyone in Motherwell expects to get into fitbaw for £10?

:lol:

Fair point.

Motherwell is in a relatively poor area with high unemployment and folk relying on foodbanks, so there is definitely a demographic where spending £20+ for 2 hours "entertainment" on a Saturday isn't an option. if you take a walk up Brandon Parade it probably tells you everything you need to know about the town.

Combined with the old firm drain on Lanarkshire, it really is an uphill battle.

City teams don't quite have the same problems, I think folk identify with a city club more if they're from that city.

I'd guess killie, st Mirren, partick thistle, Hamilton are all sides who would follow similar patterns to Motherwell.

If wee Gordon does go on and qaulify for France 2016, if we don't get beat in dublin in June I think 3rd is realistic.

This would mean either a play off with other 3rd ranked teams or automatic qualification as best 3rd placed team.

The whole nation would get an enormous lift, from the kids playing on the streets to the professional players IF we qualified for France 2016.

I have always said that we have the players, they just weren't managed correctly.

I also hope that Rangers and Celtic get thier act together, why are they flooding their team with expensive mercenaries.

Where is their youth policy at murray park an celtic park , not enough youth players coming through their academies.

Edited by Robroysboy

If wee Gordon does go on and qaulify for France 2016, if we don't get beat in dublin in June I think 3rd is realistic.

We showed in Poland that we're just as good as they are. No reason we can't finish 2nd in this group.

Most German league games are no more than £10, like 14 euros get into, least they reward fans for loyality by keeping prices down

I've been at a couple of German games and there are cheap tickets available but they were fairly limited in number. For most seats you're talking 30ish.

That kind of policy is ok when your stadium is packed out, but I'm not sure we could have a price grading like that amongst our more meagre attendances...

I've been at a couple of German games and there are cheap tickets available but they were fairly limited in number. For most seats you're talking 30ish.

That kind of policy is ok when your stadium is packed out, but I'm not sure we could have a price grading like that amongst our more meagre attendances...

I am pretty sure they also use large corporate revenues and big TV money to subsidise tickets.

We don't have large revenues in those areas either.

We maybe have 7 months to a year and a half to change Scottish football for the better. Once the Ugly sisters get back together, their voting cabal will prevent anything other than to the benefit of them. Aberdeen need to take a look at themselves the way they went with Celtic to prevent further change last year.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moves-to-change-spl-voting-structure-1393897

Edited by giblet

We maybe have 7 months to a year and a half to change Scottish football for the better. Once the Ugly sisters get back together, their voting cabal will prevent anything other than to the benefit of them. Aberdeen need to take a look at themselves the way they went with Celtic to prevent further change last year.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moves-to-change-spl-voting-structure-1393897

I agree. I also understand Aberdeen's reluctance though, which stems back to when the other SPL clubs at the time, rejected the Sky TV contract and voted to go with Setanta.

I agree. I also understand Aberdeen's reluctance though, which stems back to when the other SPL clubs at the time, rejected the Sky TV contract and voted to go with Setanta.

According to AFC they wanted the entire thing voted through in one package rather than piecemeal. They also didn't want other clubs to be able to demand things that could have an adverse effect on an individual clubs own sponsorship deals.

You can put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig.

To me, the biggest failure in the game right now is the lack of opportunity for the youngsters.

After the influx of foreigners, the 'dream' of playing for your club withered away and is largely uncommon to happen now.

I'd put squad limit sizes on all clubs and have rules of a minimum amount of youth players to have come through your academy in your squad.

Local lads, playing for local teams will bring back the fans.

Less wages, less transfer fees, lower costs, lower tickets, more fans.

To me, the biggest failure in the game right now is the lack of opportunity for the youngsters.

I'd say you need to stop looking at Rangers...

There's very few teams who's strategy isn't to develop and progress their own young players. Off the top of my head only really Celtic, Rangers and Ross County don't seem to have developing their own players as pretty much their top priority.

Well it should be £10, fact is alot of peop,e dont have the money anymore to go to fitba every week, i am one of them, i keep all my money now following Scotland as i love my country more and get spend day with all my mates who dont normally get to go to football with as support other teams. Days of me going to nearly every Motherwell game are done, i havent been this season and doubt i will, totally lost all interest in club football, the standard, the prices, no standing, stewards and police being heavy handed with fans want have a good time. We cant even get a sponsor for a league its no wonder as game is dying and no one with a brain in charge can see whats wrong but the fans who just keep getting screwed over and over!