What's The Best Currency To Use - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's The Best Currency To Use

Big Bob

When I was there in 2007 I only took Scottish money and the exchange place that we went to tried giving me a poorer rate than the rest of my pals that had English notes so I went round the corner to an ATM and got a better rate. Never been anywhere that my bank card wasn't accepted by at least at the second or third ATM.

True , but it's a closed currency you need to get it over there

So either withdraw cash from the cash machine or take English banknotes with you to exchange. No point in paying two exchange fees to change pounds into something else then into Lari.

• 3 months later...

All the Eastern European currencies are doing poorly just now.... Ruble has clawed back against pound in recent weeks..... But against the Armenian and Georgian currencies the pound is at a 5/6 year high against (though granted it's the same against the Euro) and the ukrainian Hrivna is yo-yo'ing at a hourly rate between 41 and 53 to the pound (when I started going to Ukraine in 2003 you were getting 9/10 to the pound)

If given the choice most folk from these nations prefer to deal in dollars.

Edited by wanderer

All the Eastern European currencies are doing poorly just now.... Ruble has clawed back against pound in recent weeks..... But against the Armenian and Georgian currencies the pound is at a 5/6 year high against (though granted it's the same against the Euro) and the ukrainian Hrivna is yo-yo'ing at a hourly rate between 41 and 53 to the pound (when I started going to Ukraine in 2003 you were getting 9/10 to the pound)

If given the choice most folk from these nations prefer to deal in dollars.

Our hotel quoted the airport transfer in dollars

Take your bank card. The best rate you get for exchaning money is via the ATM. Most times, even having to pay a transaction fee, you get a better deal than changing money at banks etc. That goes for whatever country you are visiting and it's because the rate you get at ATMs is the "wholesale" rate. The last time we played Georgia, I got all my money at the airport ATM

Yeah, best option, as you will be stung at a reduced rate here to buy euros and dollars, then a further reduced rate to buy in Gerogian money.

Some times you get lucky and able to change Pounds (as long as in English notes) but hit or miss if it will be accepted in Georgia (pound actually become very popular in Ukraine in last 5 or so years).

I will just be using my bank card (with probably a few euros/dollars as a back up)

• 1 month later...

Should check out the Halifax Clarity credit card.

No transaction fees for using abroad and exchange rates are excellent! It's recommended on the Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert site.

Just remember to pay if off in Full when you get back from the trip.

I have spoken to my apparment owner and he has said that the Georgian currency is so weak just now you won't get it over here. He said bring US dollars or English pounds and exchange it over there for the best rate.

Or use your bank card to take it out of a hole-in-the-wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I met a Georgian politician the last time we played there and spent a braw afternoon with him and his entourage in a restaurant/bar. I have kept in touch with him from time to time since then. Anyway, he posted this link on his Facebook page which I have translated via google. The bit you may be mostly interested in is regarding the currency which has depreciated 20% since November.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.interpressnews.ge%2Fge%2Fsazogadoeba%2F325779-qevroniusiq-saqarthvelo-ekonomikur-morevshia-gatcedili.html&edit-text=

:cheers3: more value for money beverages for us then. :ok: