Bring On 2015! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bring On 2015!

Shaun

As much as we will be frustrated after tonight, lets look forward to 2015, first Gibraltar and look for more progress and precious points in our fight for place at Euros :-D.

A lot of progress has been made this year with results on top of that.

Barring injuries, same team v Gibraltar as Fri in same system, our reward being an expected convincing win.

Problem is that there are no friendlies between now and then (i think?) so we will have to put up with same players in squad but hopefully Chris Martin gets a goal to get up and running.

Would have been good to see Callum Paterson and Lewis MacLeod getting chance to show what they can do.

Feel free to add to this :-).

Roll on 2015 and our push towards Euro 2016!!

Totally agree Shaun. I look forward to 2015 with much optimism. I never attended tonight's game v England. It was too expensive and the team were unlikely to physically and mentally maintain what they did v Ireland, so in effect it was almost meaningless.

Had the England game been a 1 off game and all players 100% fit and mentally up for it, it could have been very different. We'll never know so i'd put it out of mind now.

Gibraltar and a massive game in Dublin to focus on.

There has been a very clear progression, tonight aside. By the time the Ireland game comes round we'll have an even stronger pool to choose from.

Think about it, looking at the 'callups for experience' alone, you would think that a couple of them will have had a great season behind them and force themselves back in. Players to add/replace in coming squads:

Macleod, Paterson, Gauld, GMS, Watt, Russell, MacGregor,May etc.

These are all players Strachan liked enough to bring into the squad. So they've done the hard part. Continued form may see them getting

Absolutely devastated about tonight result and petgormance but we've came a million miles this year. It's just a pity we had our bad day (which every team is entitled too btw) against THEM in front off Adrian Chiles and Talksport

In September when we were all heading off to Germany every one off us would've predicted and expected 6 points at home and a point away to Poland. Our Germany performance was nothing short off phenomenal so we can't have anything to grumble about

We'll have learned a lot more from tonight than we would have from a routine friendly. I think the Scotland England should be an annual event- it obviously meant a lot to both sets of fans and players.

England were really impressive tonight, particularly with an average age of under 25. If they give Hodgson time and don't adopt their usual approach of expecting to win every major tournament then they could have a really good side for 2016. They should certainly be challengers for top four.

Gauld and Macleod are probably the two players that could take us to another level but probably not till 2016.

To be honest, we have a heck of a lot of 18-21 year olds that look like they could be future stars. As you say, this campaign is probably a bit early for them all. But the likes of Jack Harper (18), Ryan Fraser (20), Tony Watt (20), Stevie May (21), Ryan Gauld (18), Lewis MacLeod (20), Andrew Robertson (20) to name a few, look immense, at times. Even if just 1 of them fulfils the expectations, we will be a better team for it.

Even Forrest hasn't had a chance to fully develop and I'd like to see how GMS does at a higher level. Both still only around 23.

Plenty to be excited about.

Edited by Tartan blood

2014 was not a bad year (2 defeats - one of them against the World Champions, 3 wins and two draws.... can not argue with that).

Job was done on Friday and last night maybe brought us back down to earth a little bit, but think we will go from strength to strength next year.

Hopefully a nice rugby score against Gibraltar to kick it off :ok:

To be honest, we have a heck of a lot of 18-21 year olds that look like they could be future stars. As you say, this campaign is probably a bit early for them all. But the likes of Jack Harper (18), Ryan Fraser (20), Tony Watt (20), Stevie May (21), Ryan Gauld (18), Lewis MacLeod (20), Andrew Robertson (20) to name a few, look immense, at times. Even if just 1 of them fulfils the expectations, we will be a better team for it.

Even Forrest hasn't had a chance to fully develop and I'd like to see how GMS does at a higher level. Both still only around 23.

Plenty to be excited about.

There's no doubt the SFA coaching staff have Watt down as being lazy with a bad attitude, and maybe that's true. He's also one of the few that has pace, physique and a genuine knack for scoring that appears to be on the immediate horizon. There needs to be a sit down with him to get him on track and back in the picture.

There's no doubt the SFA coaching staff have Watt down as being lazy with a bad attitude, and maybe that's true. He's also one of the few that has pace, physique and a genuine knack for scoring that appears to be on the immediate horizon. There needs to be a sit down with him to get him on track and back in the picture.

That's the encouraging thing, it's not a lack of ability, rather a lack of the right mentality.

He is well suited to international football and would suit Scotland's system. Especially away from home where he'd have more space to break into. Him and Anya in a counter attacking situation is mouth watering.

I'm not ready to write him off yet. All men mature at different rates. I know most of my friends were still absolute tools until they hit their 20s.

A lot of people like to compare him to Derek Riordan, who wasted his talent. However, I'd argue Riordan had only 1 talent - shooting. Watt appears to have all the attributes necessary for a modern day striker. So I'd say he is worth investing time in.

Edited by Tartan blood