Fancy A Week In Ireland? - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fancy A Week In Ireland?

If you're doing this I suggest, Dublin, Galway and Kerry as places to visit. You won't get secterian abuse, coins thrown at you or get called a gypsey like a lot of us did in Glasgow.

I've never been to Galway, but it's on my list.

Kerry is brilliant. Dingle point worth going out to. Cork's great too.

I definitely fancy a few days touring the Republic. There is no way i am going over there just to sit about in a pub for the duration.

Galway is a 2 hour drive or train from Dublin city centre. I fully recommend going there and perhaps renting a car and driving the Wild Atlantic Way route down to Kerry. Killarney and Dingle would be the towns to go to in Kerry. It's then around a 4 hour train journey back to Dublin

I've never been to Galway, but it's on my list.

Kerry is brilliant. Dingle point worth going out to. Cork's great too.

Get yourself to Galway city mate. Best town in Ireland by a country mile. For me it's the real Ireland. 10 mins drive outside the city and you're in Connemara which has some unreal scenery and largely a Gaelic speaking region.

Get yourself to Galway city mate. Best town in Ireland by a country mile. For me it's the real Ireland. 10 mins drive outside the city and you're in Connemara which has some unreal scenery and largely a Gaelic speaking region.

Probably in the spring.

Plan to fly Glasgow - Donegal (what a hoot that place is) then hire a car and drive down.

Galway is a 2 hour drive or train from Dublin city centre. I fully recommend going there and perhaps renting a car and driving the Wild Atlantic Way route down to Kerry. Killarney and Dingle would be the towns to go to in Kerry. It's then around a 4 hour train journey back to Dublin

:ok: Cheers. I will need to do some homework into the best way of filling a few days over there. Make sure you guys stay on here in the meantime. You will be very handy tourism reps!

I very much doubt that.

Doubt that myself, first I have heard of it

If you're doing this I suggest, Dublin, Galway and Kerry as places to visit. You won't get secterian abuse, coins thrown at you or get called a gypsey like a lot of us did in Glasgow.

Seriously? Where?

I saw no trouble anywhere and found the scots to be a great bunch of lads, I would go as far as to say the best group of fans I have ever experienced and that's not exaggerating at all.

Matter of opinion I suppose, I guess you are from there so a little biased.

Kilkenny should be visited as should Westport, Killarney, Galway and many many more.

Matter of opinion I suppose, I guess you are from there so a little biased.

Kilkenny should be visited as should Westport, Killarney, Galway and many many more.

Kilkenny, south and west of Dublin. We were driving in that area when, and I'm not making this up, we saw a sign at the roadside with a huge arrow and the words "Drive-In Car Park".

Howth and Malahide are towns about 30 mins on the DART (our coastal commuter service) from the city centre and are cracking spots to head out and stay. You'll go from being in a city to this in less than 30 mins. Great nightlife in both spots.

0000000616928.jpeg

howth.jpeg

Can't but agree. Great days out, both.

We did some travelling around Ireland between the 2 Carling Cup games. Stayed in a cottage on the coast in County Clare for 4 nights and did loads of sightseeing stuff from Galway down to Lahinch. Then we stopped over in Burr on the way back to Dublin. Loved it and would definitely do something similar again if I had the holidays.

A week is too long in Ireland. If you look at it logically, Ireland doesn't really have much to offer. Doesn't even have decent weather. What they do have though is a sublime tourist board marketing department that somehow manages to elevate the place to mythical status and a people who are so bought into it that they not only believe their own hype but they also actively try to convince other people. Sure, there are nice spots there but let's be honest, once you've seen one pretty Irish town, you've seen them all. And in each of those towns you'll get the same style of pub selling the same beer and the same food. And you'll go see the same church and maybe see a couple of old samish stones. It's a cracking place to go for a weekend but a week is too long.