Right Back - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right Back

Hertsscot

Long term options? Injuries to Hutton and Bardsley have shown the lack of cover here, next year both of them and whittaker will be 30+. Its great that we've got Robertson on the other flank but just wondering who seems to be the best long term bet to come through over the next two or three years, Paterson, Gordon, A.N.Other?

The performance of Whittaker last night was the best we've had for many a long year in this position. He tackled and won them, won headers, and got forward when the opportunity arose (and got back ASAP). We looked so much stronger as a unit, defending well and building from the back. Here's hoping we can continue with this back four.

Hutton is still our best RB by a mile, Robertsons arrival at LB means we have great attacking balance for the 1st time in years. I think our 1st eleven is excellent and in certain positions we've strength in depth, but there are areas where we really only have one class option i.e. Fletcher at CF. We still have 2/3 years with the RB's we have so hopefully some 16/17 year olds out there will develop into the role.

Need to hope that Jack Grimmer can somehow force his way into the Fulham first team later this season or next season.

Currently on loan at Shrewsbury unfortunately :mad:

Grimmer is no longer a youngster and if he was going to make it at a decent level, he would have done it by now. I haven't seen him playing recently, but if he can't get a game for Fulham, in the Championship, and has to drop down to the level of Shrewsbury, then I can't see how he will ever be good enough to play for Scotland at full level.

Paterson is going to be a tremendous player in due course but he is still learning the position especially defensively. He has all the attributes though; confident, good on the ball, excellent in the air, physically strong, a threat in the box from set pieces. He will definitely develop into a really good player and I think he'll find himself down south within a couple of seasons. Also watch out for Jordan McGhee, few EPL sides already keeping tabs on him.

Sorry whittaker was fine/good, but Hutton is and should be our right back for a few years yet, he was a big miss going forward last night.

From a defensive point of view, there isn't much between them. Both prone to bizarre decision making. And, after Hutton's errors against Poland, it was maybe right to rest him (even if he wasn't injured).

But from an attacking sense, Hutton is miles ahead. Strachan loves rampaging, overlapping fullbacks. Whittaker, for some unknown reason, always seems to cut inside onto his weaker foot and very rarely hits the by-line. No idea why, because he is quick and has a decent cross. 2 or 3 times last night I felt he could have been more adventurous with the ball at his feet.