Trains - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If you do not have DIGS booked in Cologne this is important.

But 1st, 3x10 Pointers, Tickets Required. Just message me if anybody can help with a ticket. Was in Cyprus, didn't get a Scotland Ticket otherwise we'd have got tickets.

Trains out of Cologne are getting full up after the game. Game Kicks Off 9pm so will finish 10.50PM. Then you need to make your way back to the Centre and the Hbf. I don't know how long that takes but realistically with 50,000 piling out you would maybe look to book a train no earlier than 12.20AM?

If trains to Frankfurt are anything to go by:

12.28AM = 82.70€ One Way

01.50AM = FULLY BOOKED

03.21AM = 43.90€ One Way

03.49AM = 17.90€ One Way

If you need transport out of Cologne, BOOK NOW!

Edited by Craig Fae Hamilton

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are within the free train travel area, you can't book tickets...

I presume they are going to have extra empty trains to cope with all the fans going to the various cities within the free zone. 

I'm heading back to Gelsenkirchen, so will just jump on anything going that way after the pubs close...

4 hours ago, saintsparky said:

If you are within the free train travel area, you can't book tickets...

I presume they are going to have extra empty trains to cope with all the fans going to the various cities within the free zone. 

I'm heading back to Gelsenkirchen, so will just jump on anything going that way after the pubs close...

Frankfurt is not in the free public transport network of Cologne. For this reason you may have to book ICE to get back there. Gelsenkirchen easily reachable by stop over in Essen and Essen directly reachable via Regional train and even S-Bahn. As mentioned several times in other topics within this forum: Cologne is a city with heavy party Nightlife. So my suggestion is to book first train back in early morning. 

German Trains are an absolute disaster at the moment. IF YOU ARE OUTWITH the free public reansport network of Cologne. I'd book now. Don't get me wrong, train will probably be late. But, unless you have a pre-booked ticket, you won't be getting on if it's full regardless what time it comes at.

1 hour ago, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

German Trains are an absolute disaster at the moment. IF YOU ARE OUTWITH the free public reansport network of Cologne. I'd book now. Don't get me wrong, train will probably be late. But, unless you have a pre-booked ticket, you won't be getting on if it's full regardless what time it comes at.

Deutsche Bahn is disaster yeah, hope this will get better once better weather and tournament get closer..

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Looks like it. 

https://www.vrs.de/en/der-vrs/verbundraum

VRS and VRR regions are combined for covering all the North west host cities. 

Bonn is part of VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Sieg) which covers only one host city = Cologne.

VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Ruhr) is bordering VRS in the north and covers 3 host cities = Dusseldorf, Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund. 

in addition to that, all networks of host cities guarantee you free ride on public local transport with match tickets.

@Reidster78 if staying in Bonn, your best option to get to Cologne (central station) is from Bonn central via Regional Train. Other option which is more time consuming is Line 16 or Line 18 trams, they also go from Bonn to Cologne.

4 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

Bonn is part of VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Sieg) which covers only one host city = Cologne.

VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Ruhr) is bordering VRS in the north and covers 3 host cities = Dusseldorf, Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund. 

in addition to that, all networks of host cities guarantee you free ride on public local transport with match tickets.

@Reidster78 if staying in Bonn, your best option to get to Cologne (central station) is from Bonn central via Regional Train. Other option which is more time consuming is Line 16 or Line 18 trams, they also go from Bonn to Cologne.

Yes, but I was referring to the fact for Euro 2024 ticketholders, the VRS/VRR are being effectively combined to cover all 4 host cities (Cologne, Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Dusseldorf). 

IMG_8853.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Free travel from Berlin to Leipzig is very generous. That's well over 100 miles!

Careful! The footnote does not mention those Berlin/Leipzig bordering networks VBB/MDV as being combined. The map is just showing it together because the are bordering. 

It only appears to be VRR/VRS as being combined as an exception. 

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

Edited by AlfieMoon

10 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Careful! The footnote does not mention those Berlin/Leipzig bordering networks VBB/MDV as being combined. The map is just showing it together because the are bordering. 

It only appears to be VRR/VRS as being combined as an exception. 

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

Thought it looked too good to be true 😄

I'm not planning using that route anyway but good to know, cheers.

Prices are already rising for Trains. Be warned.

For this one we have a Return from Frankfurt, Depart Frankfurt: 13.09, Depart Cologne: 23.55

Full Price Adult when we Booked: 50€

NOW: 80€

Also, if you are doing a lot of Train Travel outwith the Free Travel Zones, DB25 Card gets you 25% OFF all Trains for 20€. Basically it would pay for itself on the Journey above alone.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:22 PM, TA-West Germany said:

Nice one bud, thanks for info! Seems I'll be able to travel free from Bonn to cologne on matchday 🥳

Edited by Reidster78

5 hours ago, magoo310-0 said:

Just wondering if we can get free travel on the day of game from mannheim to cologne and back or do we need to book train tickets any help would be much appreciated 

Doesn’t look like it mate. 

Mannheim is nowhere near the travel zones. A quick google suggests that it’s not even in the Frankfurt travel zone and that’s your closest host city from what I can see. 

5 hours ago, magoo310-0 said:

Just wondering if we can get free travel on the day of game from mannheim to cologne and back or do we need to book train tickets any help would be much appreciated 

I was hoping for that myself to Stuttgart, but couldn't even find any regional RE/RB trains to book, just ICE so went with them.

[ I know now ICE are not free on match days, but accidentally got one back from the Dortmund game to Düsseldorf.   Compared with tales of the regional train behind, it was heaven 😇. ]

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Doesn’t look like it mate. 

Mannheim is nowhere near the travel zones. A quick google suggests that it’s not even in the Frankfurt travel zone and that’s your closest host city from what I can see. 

I thought that thanks alfiemoon for help