Euro 24 rail passes - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 24 rail passes

Anyone else planning on getting a rail pass on the 17th of this month?

I saw this on the UEFA site Q and A: 

"Can I make use of the Interrail Pass EURO 2024 if I live in Germany?

No. It’s only available for European citizens (not German residents) and non-Europeans with an official residence in Europe. German residents can benefit from the DB Ticket EURO 2024 for train travel within Germany instead."

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

I assume it's ok to buy one from Scotland too if anyone knows?

I'm also assuming the discounted tickets are for the one country pass only (10 days - 384 euros).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, ScotBeamSquad said:

I assume it's ok to buy one from Scotland too if anyone knows?

The UK is on the list...

The following countries have railway companies that accept the Interrail Pass EURO 2024: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Türkiye

Residents or citizens of the following countries can also buy an Interrail Pass EURO 2024: Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Iceland, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Russia, San Marino, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City

Edited by Toepoke

22 hours ago, ScotBeamSquad said:

I'm also assuming the discounted tickets are for the one country pass only (10 days - 384 euros).

This isn’t correct. There’s a whole range of interrail passes as part of the offer.  

It is detailed on the link that you posted: 

I already bought a 15-day pass on the Black Friday deal - it’s basically the same as the euros deal is going to be - 25% off. 

IMG_8631.png

Edited by AlfieMoon

ScotBeamSquad,

How many long distance train journeys are you planning?

I'd just get on and book tickets now - Unless you plan to zip all over Germany; visiting umpteen different cities.

If you have tickets for the 3 group matches, that's only 2 trains. Munich-Cologne and Cologne-Stuttgart.   

Edited by Rich NATA

45 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

ScotBeamSquad,

I'd just get on and book tickets now - Unless you plan to zip all over Germany; visiting umpteen different cities.

If you have tickets for the 3 group matches, that's only 2 trains. Munich-Cologne and Cologne-Stuttgart.   

If you're using an inter-rail pass to get to Germany and back from Scotland,  it must be fairly competitive with flying, given the cost of plane tickets to Germany?

I used the Interrail planner https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/plan-your-trip/, it said a 4 day global pass was enough for us. Starting in Hannover - Munich - Cologne - Stuttgart and finishing in London. We could stay on to Scotland if we need to as long as the last leg is all on the same day.

We've already got flights to Hannover.

Edited by snoopyhill

39 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

If you're using an inter-rail pass to get to Germany and back from Scotland,  it must be fairly competitive with flying, given the cost of plane tickets to Germany?

This is why I bought. Saved me any scramble for flights at the draw and we plan on dotting around a number of cities depending on what other tickets we can get. 

We were £335 for a 15 day pass. It’ll do me for Glasgow-London-Cologne on day 1 before we head to Munich. All the travel between cities in between, and then the journey back probably via Paris and London. 

Could have managed that all within a 10 day pass but opted for the extra £60 for the 15day in case we make out the group. In that scenario, I’ll still have enough days left to jump on a plane to Germany or any neighbouring country and jump on a train again. 

6 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

This is why I bought. Saved me any scramble for flights at the draw and we plan on dotting around a number of cities depending on what other tickets we can get. 

We were £335 for a 15 day pass. It’ll do me for Glasgow-London-Cologne on day 1 before we head to Munich. All the travel between cities in between, and then the journey back probably via Paris and London. 

Could have managed that all within a 10 day pass but opted for the extra £60 for the 15day in case we make out the group. In that scenario, I’ll still have enough days left to jump on a plane to Germany or any neighbouring country and jump on a train again. 

Good plan!

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

ScotBeamSquad,

We're based an hour out of Frankfurt for 10 days and would like to see a couple of places.

I'm thinking 7 to 10 days would cover everything we'd need. I'd like to visit places where other teams are playing (i.e. Belgium vs Slovakia on the 17th in Frankfurt) + general tourism.

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

This isn’t correct. There’s a whole range of interrail passes as part of the offer.  

Ah sorry, I was wondering if it was a one country pass vs a global pass specifically, just getting to grips with it before I buy. We'll probably take a ten day pass either way with the Euro offer.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

We've sorted flights for the trip, thought It would be easier scheduling wise for us. It would have been cheaper overall though, given we're going to Prague and leaving from Zurich.

22 minutes ago, ScotBeamSquad said:

I've sorted flights for the trip, thought It would be easier scheduling wise for us. It would have been cheaper overall though, given we're going to Prague and leaving from Zurich.

If you've got your flights and you've a rough idea where you want to go it might just be worth pre-booking individual train journies.

We're doing Dusseldorf to Berlin, Berlin to Stuttgart and Stuttgart to Zurich and it's cost around 60 quid in total.

Plus your match tickets will get you travel across quite a wide area for 36 hours around the games.

Edited by Toepoke

ScotBeam,

To my mind, an interrail trip would be something that would take in numerous countries. Not just crossing a border or two.

Have you looked at one-way prices on the Deutsche Bahn website fo

P.S. you can book EVERYTHING through Deutsche Bahn website or app - Even your Prague journey.

I bought Zurich to Munich for 31 Euros... Munich to Cologne for 37 Euros... Cologne to Stuttgart for 64 Euros. I could have got that last one for half the price, but that train suited us best.

So, as you can see, there are bargains to be had without waiting for 17th January.

Right now, you can get Prague to Munich on 13th June for 48 Euros direct and 32 Euros indirect.

And you can get Stuttgart to Zurich on 24th June for 26 Euros.  

I'm in agreement with what Toepoke and Runningtings said and just getting on with it.

As for the Euro 2024 Pass. Is it worth waiting for? Unless you plan to be zipping all over Germany? 

15 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

As for the Euro 2024 Pass. Is it worth waiting for? Unless you plan to be zipping all over Germany? 

Went ahead and booked some specific journeys that we'll do this morning.

I think we'll do some zipping on the ICE trains, running the numbers for the number of journeys we'll do does work out cheaper for a smaller pass (maybe the 7 day one or 5). Works out at approx. £20 per journey at most if I'm thinking right.

3 hours ago, ScotBeamSquad said:

Went ahead and booked some specific journeys that we'll do this morning.

I think we'll do some zipping on the ICE trains, running the numbers for the number of journeys we'll do does work out cheaper for a smaller pass (maybe the 7 day one or 5). Works out at approx. £20 per journey at most if I'm thinking right.

Back in the day, we had a pass of some sort for France 98 and we were all over the place. 

We saw a total of 8 matches in Paris, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lyon, Marseille, Nantes and Saint Etienne (twice) but match tickets were relatively cheap back then. Those days are long gone. For Euro 2024, it'll be Scotland-only matches for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, this might seem an odd question but, can the Euro 2024 interrail pass be used to travel around a bunch of different European countries like a normal interrail pass? Or just to and from and wifhin Germany? Really not clear from the literature 

Edited by robertrcorr

2 hours ago, robertrcorr said:

Folks, this might seem an odd question but, can the Euro 2024 interrail pass be used to travel around a bunch of different European countries like a normal interrail pass? Or just to and from and wifhin Germany? Really not clear from the literature 

Pretty sure it's to and from Germany and then within the country. The validity of the ticket is only during the tournament as well.

If you're wanting to nip in and out of other countries it might be you have to get an actual inter-rail pass, although I don't know how much more expensive that would be...

If you’re coming to Germany from abroad, the Interrail Pass EURO 2024 is just right for you. With this special offer, match ticket holders are entitled to a 25% discount on specific Interrail Passes.

The Interrail Pass EURO 2024 is valid for a round-trip journey from 32 European countries to Germany and within Germany. Get your discounted pass now and plan your EURO 2024 journey, experiencing Germany’s highlights and hidden gems along the way.

Edited by Toepoke

Need some help guys…

When the Euro 24 DB Ticket goes on sale on Wednesday, will you also be able to purchase the discounted train tickets for your long distance German train commutes in June on Wednesday as well or is it that going to be later on when the Euro 24 Fan Pass becomes available on the official tournament app in which case the Euro 24 DB Ticket discount can be applied?

I’m currently in two minds whether to book the train tickets now on the DB app for my two long distance German train commutes that I’ll be making in June which are Munich-Cologne (16th June) & Cologne-Stuttgart (21st June) OR just wait to purchase the Euro 24 DB Ticket on Wednesday and buy the discounted tickets when they do go on sale (whatever date is is)?

35 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Need some help guys…

When the Euro 24 DB Ticket goes on sale on Wednesday, will you also be able to purchase the discounted train tickets for your long distance German train commutes in June on Wednesday as well or is it that going to be later on when the Euro 24 Fan Pass becomes available on the official tournament app in which case the Euro 24 DB Ticket discount can be applied?

I’m currently in two minds whether to book the train tickets now on the DB app for my two long distance German train commutes that I’ll be making in June which are Munich-Cologne (16th June) & Cologne-Stuttgart (21st June) OR just wait to purchase the Euro 24 DB Ticket on Wednesday and buy the discounted tickets when they do go on sale (whatever date is is)?

It's the discounted tickets that go on sale Wednesday, or more likely, 11pm Tuesday night. 

You will need the fan pass, when it becomes available, to validate the discounted ticket on the train 

1 hour ago, DesiScotsman said:

Need some help guys…

That's the same 2 journeys i have already booked. Both because you are booking well in advance turn out cheaper than the euro 24 tickets that go on sale on Wednesday. They did say that certain journeys would turn out cheaper because you are booking well in advance than the euro 24 ticket. It certainly was for me. 👍

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

That's the same 2 journeys i have already booked. Both because you are booking well in advance turn out cheaper than the euro 24 tickets that go on sale on Wednesday. They did say that certain journeys would turn out cheaper because you are booking well in advance than the euro 24 ticket. It certainly was for me. 👍

I’ve just checked on the DB app and on the 16th to Cologne from Munich there really is nothing under 50€ available that day now even in 2nd class unless you’re going before breakfast or arriving after midnight! It will be interesting to see what’s available once the Euro tickets are available! There are spaces on trains so would like to think that some cheaper tickets will be allocated to these trains! Perhaps they may have the ability to  limit them to a certain number per train.  

3 hours ago, macwomble said:

I’ve just checked on the DB app and on the 16th to Cologne from Munich there really is nothing under 50€ available that day now even in 2nd class unless you’re going before breakfast or arriving after midnight! It will be interesting to see what’s available once the Euro tickets are available! There are spaces on trains so would like to think that some cheaper tickets will be allocated to these trains! Perhaps they may have the ability to  limit them to a certain number per train.  

Must have jumped up recently as i got mine for 21 euros a couple of weeks ago.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:59 PM, robertrcorr said:

It talks about 25% discount from the normal Interail pass - with date restrictions applied. I doubt they can/will apply any additional restrictions that would prevent usage in additional countries like a normal interrail pass - other than the need to be a match ticket holder to have the FanPass as an additional requirement to make your Interrail ticket valid. 

There will be more info come the 17th I’m sure. Interrail customer services are also very good at responding but I don’t think they’ll know any more details yet.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:12 PM, Toepoke said:

Pretty sure it's to and from Germany and then within the country. The validity of the ticket is only during the tournament as well.

If you're wanting to nip in and out of other countries it might be you have to get an actual inter-rail pass, although I don't know how much more expensive that would be...

If you’re coming to Germany from abroad, the Interrail Pass EURO 2024 is just right for you. With this special offer, match ticket holders are entitled to a 25% discount on specific Interrail Passes.

The Interrail Pass EURO 2024 is valid for a round-trip journey from 32 European countries to Germany and within Germany. Get your discounted pass now and plan your EURO 2024 journey, experiencing Germany’s highlights and hidden gems along the way.

As above, I don’t expect them to have restrictions to only enter/exit Germany only once. Especially given it’s a 25% discount off of a pass that would have no such restriction at full rate. 

Standard rules are that you can only have 1 outbound day travel from home country (UK) and one inbound to home country (UK). Everything between that is open for travel between all other included countries. I don’t expect the Euro pass to differ from that. 

Edited by AlfieMoon