Travel options for game - Scotland v Hungary - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel options for game

What flights are people using to get to this game?

For family reasons I am having to come back after Germany game (which ive already booked) but looking to go back out for Hungary for couple of days.

As expected flights are very expensive. Best found so far is Newcastle to Frankfurt Sat to Mon for £400.

Should have booked up earlier but after watching Scotland fukk up for last 20 years didnt want to jinx us!

15 hours ago, dezmondo said:

Slim pickings with accommodation. We've booked 17th - 24th and plan to stay in the Stuttgart area. Hotels are just unaffordable, Airbnb ok but quite far out. 

Yep. We are only one night in Stuttgart as €300 a night for a 2 star hotel was cheapest could find

20 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

What flights are people using to get to this game?

For family reasons I am having to come back after Germany game (which ive already booked) but looking to go back out for Hungary for couple of days.

As expected flights are very expensive. Best found so far is Newcastle to Frankfurt Sat to Mon for £400.

Should have booked up earlier but after watching Scotland fukk up for last 20 years didnt want to jinx us!

Try getting a flight to Zurich? about 3 to 4 hours by train

1 hour ago, PSJ84 said:

Getting home look a bit of a pain in the arse for us too. £85 from Baden-Baden is decent, but the 6am flight is putting us off as it’s a bit away from Stuttgart.  

Baden-Baden is a great place to stay . Been there a few times. Main thing to be aware of is the train station is a quite a bit away from the centre .

11 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Looked into this, still over 400 quid.

What about Paris then? I think there are a couple of direct trains a day. Might not be cheap though.

Also Basel-Mulhouse- Freiburg Europort (airport is a shared French, German, Swiss thing) and get the train from there. I had looked at Freiburg as a possible base and accommodation quite cheap.

Or Strasbourg... but don't think flight options will ve good 

Edited by GLOSTA
typos

5 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

What about Paris then? I think there are a couple of direct trains a day. Might not be cheap though.

Also Basel-Mulhouse- Freiburg Europort (airport is a shared French, German, Swiss thing) and get the train from there. I had looked at Freiburg as a possible base and accommodation quite cheap.

Or Strasbourg... but don't think flight options will ve good 

Cheers, i am using the basel frieburg airport for germany game and there is a flight back first thing tuesday after hungary game so an option for return. Freiburg meant to be nice city i hear.

Did look at Strasbourg too but looks a pretty small airport as you say.

Ill try looking at Paris too, sounds decent option. 

25 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Cheers, i am using the basel frieburg airport for germany game and there is a flight back first thing tuesday after hungary game so an option for return. Freiburg meant to be nice city i hear.

Did look at Strasbourg too but looks a pretty small airport as you say.

Ill try looking at Paris too, sounds decent option. 

Try the Rome 2 Rio app.... it provides good routes

Or the DB app for train routes can be useful 

Edited by GLOSTA

On the Lufthansa website/app, you can search for Manchester - Stuttgart Train Station and it does a package deal of flight to Frankfurt plus high speed train to Stuttgart. The package is actually cheaper than the flight on it's own!

We're doing 22nd - 25th and it came in at £135 return (boked a couple of days ago). Still available at £135 (though depends on what time you fly) if you're able to get yourself to Manchester airport and back (there's direct trains from Edinburgh).

Edited to add you can also do the same deal for Cologne, and similar for Munich.

Edited by uber_shnuber

12 hours ago, uber_shnuber said:

On the Lufthansa website/app, you can search for Manchester - Stuttgart Train Station and it does a package deal of flight to Frankfurt plus high speed train to Stuttgart. The package is actually cheaper than the flight on it's own!

We're doing 22nd - 25th and it came in at £135 return (boked a couple of days ago). Still available at £135 (though depends on what time you fly) if you're able to get yourself to Manchester airport and back (there's direct trains from Edinburgh).

Edited to add you can also do the same deal for Cologne, and similar for Munich.

This sounds a great option, will take a look. Thanks very much.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, Toepoke said:

Staying in Böblingen, 20 minutes on the train from Stuttgart. Hotel was only €60 a night.

Getting the train from there to Geneva airport on the Monday. easyJet to Edinburgh was £35.

Böblingen twinned with Glenrothes don’t you know?  

That doesn’t augur well…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On this one we are doing a Train Journey out the place at 2.26am, accomodation is a non starter. But the next day Croatia Play Italy in Leipzig at 9pm.

Our Trains outta Stuttgart get us into Leipzig at 9.10am where we have a Hotel booked. 51€ for 2 with the 25% Discount Rail Card.

It might possibly be a journey from hell though!

Just saying, 3x10 Pointers trying to get tickets for Switzerland Game. Followed Scotland Loads over years, this is Sons 2nd ever Away Trip (we were in Cyprus and didn't get a Scotland Ticket). If anybody can help with 1 ticket, AMAZING!

• 3 weeks later...

I see lots of people looking for accomodation for this. We have 2 reasonably priced Rooms booked which we will swap for any 3 Tickets for Switzerland game.

Alternatively we would be happy to sell Rooms and put the money towards buying Switzerland Tickets. As we will pay over the odds for tickets, cost of Rooms if we sell them would be priced to contribute to the cost of us buying our Switzerland Tickets. A Straight swap is preferred.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone staying in Karlsruhe for the match? We are flying into Paris on the 20th, night out there and then catching the direct train to Karlsruhe on the 21st. Fly home from Paris on the 25th.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be trains back from Stuttgart to Karlsruhe after the match? saw one advertised at 11 but no chance of making that.