SSC - When Is Enough Enough? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SSC - When Is Enough Enough?

DoonTheSlope

How many times can the SSC take a simple concept and end up making a complete cunt of things

Todays events have surely highlighted that the SSC is not fit for purpose, or at the very least the current incumbents are not up to the job and a serious enquiry and overhaul are required

Sadly we’ve put ourselves at their mercy. I’ve said for years that as Scotland fans we are our own worst enemies. For years we followed that shite filling away ends across Europe wearing their overpriced cheap shite. All SSC/SFA could see home and away was pound signs dressed in kilts and glengarrys. A few boos and fuck the SFA chants but come the next international window we’d be tripping over ourselves to travel home and abroad

The final straw is charging a premium to collect your ticket at away games despite each member already paying their bi-annual subs

No doubt today will be brushed under the carpet and any sort of dissent or grievance will see your membership swiftly revoked. They’re unanswerable to nobody

It’s not a supporters club. It’s a Ponzi scheme 

15 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

To be fair to the girls and boys on the front desk. I think they are under resourced.

I spoke to them once and they were not only dealing with our away allocation but had cup final tickets to sort out ( but SSC pay their wages)

People make mistakes and at least it was caught before the sale.

Nah - DTS is right 

When Marjory Nimmo ran it literally by herself and a couple of staff there were zero problems

She would have done anything for you if she could

The SSC is now a million miles away from that and fuck all to do with the number of members

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nah - DTS is right 

When Marjory Nimmo ran it literally by herself and a couple of staff there were zero problems

The SSC is now a million miles away from that and fuck all to do with the number of members

When Marjory ran the travel club it was personal. She seemed to know everyone by name. As you say she’d go over and above to sort you out whereas everything is an effort with this crowd

It’s not been unknown for members to get emptied for raising their discontent. One that always sticks out is Wembley 2016 and a boy travelled all the way from Norway only to find out his ticket had been given away in error. Understandably and quite rightly he kicked up fuck

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nah - DTS is right 

I’ll not have a bad word said about Marjory Nimmo but in her day the SSC was a tenth of what it is now and attendances at away games were generally in the hundreds rather than the thousands.

its a different beast now. 

4 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

Zero accountability.  Plus the fact that TASA were so far up their arses they got a free pass whenever they should have been challenged.  

Why should a children’s charity be holding anyone to account let alone the SFA?

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’ll not have a bad word said about Marjory Nimmo but in her day the SSC was a tenth of what it is now and attendances at away games were generally in the hundreds rather than the thousands.

its a different beast now. 

But in those days they wouldn’t huv had all the technology making things easier for them, would’ve been far more manual inputting of details & less computerisation so far more time consuming.

5 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

But in those days they wouldn’t huv had all the technology making things easier for them, would’ve been far more manual inputting of details & less computerisation so far more time consuming.

And believe me, Marjory was absolutely useless at those things.  I suspect there was very little computerised.

The difference was that Marjory was able to take a personal approach that made every member think that Marjory knew them.  That was an accident, it was a mark of the woman but she also put a lot of work into it.  For example, for every away game she had the list of all members who’d applied for tickets.  She’d go through them and pick out those she didn’t know, eg., new members, get their membership cards out, print off the photo and then make a point - if she came across them - to have a chat introduce herself and to call you by your name.   That drilled into you - in a nice way - that Auntie Marjory knew what you were doing and not to step out of line.

I met her several years after she’d left the SFA and she admitted that she couldn’t have done the job in the way she did with the levels of membership the SSC had.

The point when this changed was when David Taylor came in and one of his ideas was to grow the STC into the SSC.

You just can’t have a boutique service for a mass membership organisation.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

And believe me, Marjory was absolutely useless at those things.  I suspect there was very little computerised.

The difference was that Marjory was able to take a personal approach that made every member think that Marjory knew them.  That was an accident, it was a mark of the woman but she also put a lot of work into it.  For example, for every away game she had the list of all members who’d applied for tickets.  She’d go through them and pick out those she didn’t know, eg., new members, get their membership cards out, print off the photo and then make a point - if she came across them - to have a chat introduce herself and to call you by your name.   That drilled into you - in a nice way - that Auntie Marjory knew what you were doing and not to step out of line.

I met her several years after she’d left the SFA and she admitted that she couldn’t have done the job in the way she did with the levels of membership the SSC had.

The point when this changed was when David Taylor came in and one of his ideas was to grow the STC into the SSC.

You just can’t have a boutique service for a mass membership organisation.

The issue is that trust goes both ways

Do you think the current SSC trusts and respects their members ?

How many staff are there and what percentage of annual subscriptions are paying for wages and gratis travel ? 

For example , when i had to pick up my ticket for the Nigeria friendly in London there were at least 5 SSC staffers in the booth - and as already said with the technology today all it would take is a man sitting behind a curtain smoking a fag pressing enter on a keyboard

24 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The issue is that trust goes both ways

Do you think the current SSC trusts and respects their members ?

How many staff are there and what percentage of annual subscriptions are paying for wages and gratis travel ? 

For example , when i had to pick up my ticket for the Nigeria friendly in London there were at least 5 SSC staffers in the booth - and as already said with the technology today all it would take is a man sitting behind a curtain smoking a fag pressing enter on a keyboard

I haven’t been an SSC member for 5 years.  I pay no attention to the current set up or its relationships with fans groups as it’s of zero interest to me.

As you know though, I’m more than qualified to talk about what was going on 20 years ago.

On 12/6/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Nah - DTS is right 

She never had almost 40,000 members, nor did she have the number of away games we have now. You're comparing apples and oranges. Nor did we have the away support back then like we have now. You only need to look at how France 98 tickets were dished out.

Edited by Squirrelhumper