Is It Just Me............. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is It Just Me.............

Stuzo

.........that thinks Ireland are riding there luck, now I have know doubt that both games will be very difficult but we are definitely playing the better football. But Ireland score in the 92nd min against Georgia for a win and the 94th min against the Germans to get a point. To me that's riding your luck ! But the Irish convinced themselves that they've turned a corner,playing some good football on the strength of 2 jammy goals in the dying seconds of games. And don't give me this nonsense "that's the sign of a good team " p i s h. It's the sign of a jammy side who are riding their luck.............or am I far off the mark?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding your luck or else keep fighting till the end, there's no doubt about it we got away with one against Georgia, MON didn't make good team selections but there was nothing lucky about McGeady's piece of Magic, it was pure genius. It's not like we scored some shitty goal in either game they were both excellent finishes so I don't see how that's lucky, the game is 90min plus injury time so you play till it's over.

Having said all that I do believe the Scots have been more impressive than we have so its a really tricky one to call.

I think the Irish are on the way up again, with the new manager I always feared that it could have a positive impact on them which it appears to have done. Really frustrating with the late goals they have scored but to me that just shows a team determined to win & won't give up until the final whistle is blown! Those goals could prove vital in whether they qualify or not, you just got to look at club football with teams that win the league they have ability to grind out results & usually grab points in the last minute of games.

I will be a lot more relaxed if we have a 2 goal lead next month...

I think overall we're playing better football, in as much that we are able to keep possession of the ball in the first two thirds of the field. However, we don't have the penetration (other than Anya's pace) in the last third that can turn that possession into goals. Ireland don't have the same overall possession game however, they have a couple of players that can produce something a little bit different, in flashes, in areas where it counts. Having said that, it will be close but we can and will win (SURELY !!!!!).

.........that thinks Ireland are riding there luck, now I have know doubt that both games will be very difficult but we are definitely playing the better football. But Ireland score in the 92nd min against Georgia for a win and the 94th min against the Germans to get a point. To me that's riding your luck ! But the Irish convinced themselves that they've turned a corner,playing some good football on the strength of 2 jammy goals in the dying seconds of games. And don't give me this nonsense "that's the sign of a good team " p i s h. It's the sign of a jammy side who are riding their luck.............or am I far off the mark?

to me it seems that ur judging ireland on 2 recent games without actually doing any research on us at all.

ireland are lucky....blah blah blah.

change the record.

Here is a suggestion for u...

How about ireland despite their limitations are a tough team to beat and shud not be underestimated.

What a bloody ridiculous thread.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

I've caught myself saying it at times but scoring a goal in the last minute is no more lucky than any other time.

Two last minute goals shows this Ireland team won't accept defeat or draws and have great team spirit etc. O'Neil has them well organised and we'll need to be at our best to beat them next month.

For the first time in awhile I think both teams have managers who can get the best out of their players. Levein and Burley held us back in previous easier groups.

To be fair to Trap, Irelands last group with Germany,Austria and Sweden and a dodgy away trip to Kahzakstan was quite hard, this group is kind of similar. Poland have Lewandowksi while Sweden had Ibra and Scotland are similar to Austria albeit without a player like Alaba, then Georgia and Kahzakstan are also comparable,although this group is probably a little easier as the Germans are far weaker than 2 years ago.

To be fair to Trap, Irelands last group with Germany,Austria and Sweden and a dodgy away trip to Kahzakstan was quite hard, this group is kind of similar. Poland have Lewandowksi while Sweden had Ibra and Scotland are similar to Austria albeit without a player like Alaba, then Georgia and Kahzakstan are also comparable,although this group is probably a little easier as the Germans are far weaker than 2 years ago.

Yeah didn't mean to include Trap in with Burley and Levein, our 2010 and 12 qualifying groups were significantly easier than 14 and this one but we failed miserably.

Very hard to call both games. Arguably both teams are more suited to playing away.

Yeah didn't mean to include Trap in with Burley and Levein, our 2010 and 12 qualifying groups were significantly easier than 14 and this one but we failed miserably.

Very hard to call both games. Arguably both teams are more suited to playing away.

We have only lost away from home twice under Trap, Austria and Germany, and we only really lost the Austrian game as we were basically out at that point. We have won 1-1 or 0-0 away from home recently against the likes of Germany,Italy,France(technically drew the match although lost the tie), Slovakia,Sweden,Russia and I suppose Bulgaria were decent when we played them too.

We have only lost away from home twice under Trap, Austria and Germany, and we only really lost the Austrian game as we were basically out at that point. We have won 1-1 or 0-0 away from home recently against the likes of Germany,Italy,France(technically drew the match although lost the tie), Slovakia,Sweden,Russia and I suppose Bulgaria were decent when we played them too.

From the outside his record (minus euro 2012) was impressive but he got a lot of stick, especially in his last campaign.

From the outside his record (minus euro 2012) was impressive but he got a lot of stick, especially in his last campaign.

Because the football was unwatchable, if Trap had of been manager vs Gibraltar it would have finished 3-1, and no disrespect to Scotland but if he was still the manager we would be guaranteed a point in Glasgow, however it is more exciting now as I don't see a draw in this game. O'Neill doesn't exactly play great football either,but there have been decent passages, but we will see how good he is when we play a team who are around our level ( Scotland ) as Georgia were chronic and we didn't know how to break them down as they were happy with a point, and Germany are obviously alot better than us so we had little possesion.

You finished on 11 points last year and lost to Wales twice, scored a last minute goal against Macedonia and recently won with a scrappy goal against Georgia yet you all still think you'll beat Ireland and we're lucky. "Dont give me that nonsense"

Edited by TheBoysinGreen

You finished on 11 points last year and lost to Wales twice, scored a last minute goal against Macedonia and recently won with a scrappy goal against Georgia yet you all still think you'll beat Ireland. "Dont give me that nonsense"

Yes, we did beat the top seed in our group both home & away :ok: