Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin? - Page 2 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin?

ballsbridge hotel had good pre match singsong 10 mins from stadium there will be plenty roi fans there also the main part hotel is good spot for kidz to get autographs of past players. skysports and ifa usually use this hotel to hand out press passes and comps some good photo opps. remember last time this kid went up to Jackie Charlton and said my dad says ur bobby Charlton can I have ur autograph jackie refuses the lad, the lad being embarrased walks away then j c calls after him im Jackie Charlton will my autograph do one of those magic moments on a trip. pat Jennings john hartson many more where there def the place to go pre match

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mention of the North Star earlier in the thread - stayed in there when we played Northern Ireland in the Carling Cup. Was a pretty decent hotel and handy for Connolly Station for the trip back to Belfast. Second time round we stayed in the Ripley Court Hotel just round the corner which was fine as well. Both were handy for the boozers in Talbot Street.

We are staying at O`CALLAGHAN MONT CLARE,MERRION SQUARE any decent pubs round that way.

You're in a great spot, Kennedys around the corner, walking distance to the aviva as well, o'donoghues pub about an 8 min walk away and is very famous, The Dubliners(I'm sure you have heard of them) used to drink there and is a great spot. Trust me the when I say the watering holes are everywhere!

Irishandproud - I'm staying at O'Donoghues for the return visit. Cheapest digs I could find. Not far to stagger to my bed after a nightcap but not expecting a quiet night's kip either!

Absolute carnage! You're staying in a great spot and I hope you don't expect much sleep, walking distance into town, you won't need to get taxis anywhere from there so you're laughing.

Irishandproud - excellent! From what you say, walking distance to the likes of Talbot St, O'Connell St etc?

Am I near a boozer called Messrs Maguire? From what I remember, on the right side of the Liffey and reasonably priced as well. We spent a couple of great nights in there when we were over for the Carling Cup games.

I wouldn't want to walk to O'Connell St or Talbot st unless I wanted heroin!! Ah no I joke, there is nothing around there for you at night time so I wouldn't even consider it, where you are is perfect, trust me you won't be longing for much.

Messrs is about a 20min walk from where you are staying.

Edited by Irishandproud

Irish and proud I am in the Jacobs inn near the central train station.

Really looking forward to our visit to Dublin.

Cracking city and great fans.

I was there for the NI cup game. What's the best football fan freindly nightclub in Dublin in your opinion.

That's a tricky one really I never go in with football gear on me but I imagine the clubs will have to be mindful that the scots are in town and will bring big revenue for them by being a tad more lenient, copper face jacks is like a cattle mart so I think that's probably you're best option but I'll talk to someone who works in one of the clubs and see what he thinks.

You're in a great spot, Kennedys around the corner, walking distance to the aviva as well, o'donoghues pub about an 8 min walk away and is very famous, The Dubliners(I'm sure you have heard of them) used to drink there and is a great spot. Trust me the when I say the watering holes are everywhere!

cheers :ok:

I would imagine kilts and shirts will be OK. Always fine for rugby. Some of the nightclubs may have issues with trainers and jeans etc but shirts probably ok and I assume kilts.

I'd recommend staying south of the river. city centre or near the stadium. It should be safe to walk anywhere there. The Gresham is a fine hotel and is on the main street - O'Connell st but not great after dark. No problems during the day. Probably ok walking down O'Connell st and across the bridge to get to bars etc. I wouldn't walk too far around the North Star after dark. I also wouldn't recommend the Talbot Street boozers. I don't feel safe there in daylight.

The stadium and the areas around it are fine.

Irishandproud......large group of us coming over next June, will be in home end due to contacts, will we get in with our Scotland tops etc, or civvies only ?

Cheers.

This could be tricky. No problem with the home fans but we have Poland at home in March and there are concerns re away fans in the home end given the fines England got. Better to ask again in April.

Russian fans were moved if not thrown out in 2010.

Irishandproud......large group of us coming over next June, will be in home end due to contacts, will we get in with our Scotland tops etc, or civvies only ?

Cheers.

I'm sure you'll be fine mate, not based on much really, suppose we just never really have this problem as not many countries travel that well when we play them.

I'm in the Ripley Court Hotel - you've got me worried now that it's North of the river.

....in fact it's on Talbot Street that you warned against !

Stayed there for 2 of the 3 Celtic cup games ............... nae worse than a trip to Glasgow :yikes3:

Irishandproud - excellent! From what you say, walking distance to the likes of Talbot St, O'Connell St etc?

Am I near a boozer called Messrs Maguire? From what I remember, on the right side of the Liffey and reasonably priced as well. We spent a couple of great nights in there when we were over for the Carling Cup games.

FYI ...Messr Maguires was taken over a cpl of yrs ago and is now called "J.J Sweetmans"

Talbot and O'connell streets are a bit rough as the lads said but in all honesty ye will be fine if ye head there - theres some good boozers up that part

Actually if ye are up that part ...check out a pub called "The Cobblestone" on smithfield square - great pub for good pints, Trad Music and just general craic

FYI ...Messr Maguires was taken over a cpl of yrs ago and is now called "J.J Sweetmans"

yep, was just gonna post that. Doesn't seem to have changed in any other way though - still brew their own beer which is relatively cheap and decent quality. One of the better pubs in town IMO.

Actually if ye are up that part ...check out a pub called "The Cobblestone" on smithfield square - great pub for good pints, Trad Music and just general craic

Spot on. That would be my recommendation :ok: