Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin? - Page 3 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin?

No comparison between North Star and Gresham. Gresham is miles ahead. If they are the same price then no contest.

The only advantage of the North Star is that it is close to the commuter train to the stadium. However you can easily walk anyway. If staying in the North Star do not go further than the station. There are some areas nearby best not visited at any time. Hotel itself is probably ok.

I stayed at the North Star for the Carling games. Thought it was fine (apart from an odd stale smell in the hall) and the breakfast was great. When my missus, who is an uber D4 girl, found out she threatend have me deloused, cut my baws off then divorce me for crossing to the north side of the Liffey. When I told her we'd gone bevying in the Chancery Inn on Ellis Quay (as splendid a jakey bar as you will find anywhere) she threatened to kill me, such was her apparent shame :-))

Had to promise not to mention my flirtation with Dub's odd-number postcodes when we next met her snooty pals in Cafe en Seine and Lillies.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tricky one really I never go in with football gear on me but I imagine the clubs will have to be mindful that the scots are in town and will bring big revenue for them by being a tad more lenient, copper face jacks is like a cattle mart so I think that's probably you're best option but I'll talk to someone who works in one of the clubs and see what he thinks.

Cheers, Saturday night in Dublin should be a great night. Is copper face jacks city centre ?

I stayed at the North Star for the Carling games. Thought it was fine (apart from an odd stale smell in the hall) and the breakfast was great. When my missus, who is an uber D4 girl, found out she threatend have me deloused, cut my baws off then divorce me for crossing to the north side of the Liffey. When I told her we'd gone bevying in the Chancery Inn on Ellis Quay (as splendid a jakey bar as you will find anywhere) she threatened to kill me, such was her apparent shame :-))

:lol:

Had to promise not to mention my flirtation with Dub's odd-number postcodes when we next met her snooty pals in Cafe en Seine and Lillies.

Glad to hear you've come round to my way of thinking on Cafe en Seine, Khana. :ok:

Cheers, Saturday night in Dublin should be a great night. Is copper face jacks city centre ?

On harcourt St, about 5min walk from Stephens green, it's in the heart of the city and a nice part of Dublin too, you have plenty of nightclub options around there. This is going to be a cracking day in dublin and one not to be missed..

the north star or gresham hotels which one wins

I'd stay in neither. Try and get hotel located south of river liffey. That's where most of the action takes place and you'll be within walking distance of the stadium. North of the Liffey isn't bad. It just wouldn't be where the main sights and sounds of the city is.

Instead of answering people individualy i'll just post here.

To get to and from the airp

Mention of the North Star earlier in the thread - stayed in there when we played Northern Ireland in the Carling Cup. Was a pretty decent hotel and handy for Connolly Station for the trip back to Belfast. Second time round we stayed in the Ripley Court Hotel just round the corner which was fine as well. Both were handy for the boozers in Talbot Street.

Try an avoid that part of town. So much nicer areas available!

Main areas I'd avise drinking.

• Grafton St area (bars such as Keoghs, Bruxells, McDaids, Davy Byrnes. All located off side streets)
  • Baggot St area (loads of old style bars but full of life)
  • Harcourt St (if you're looking to drink until 6am hit this street)
  • Dame Lane (Dame Tavern etc)

The following are areas i'd avoid

• Temple Bar district (Tourist trap, expensive and you're not experiencing the real Dublin)
  • O'Connell St/Abbey St area (again not too bad but much much better areas to head to)
  • Talbot St - rough area.( Not nice when there's much better places 10 mins walk away)
Edited by TheBoysinGreen

Staying in Hazelbrook House Lower Gardener St. What's the area like and where should we head on the way back from the game ?

Also getting 11 30 plane from Glasgow so time a bit tight , can you give us the name of a reliable airport transfer firm . Many thanks .

It wouldn't be in the nicest part of town. It's safe but in a working class part of town.From the airport your best bet is to just hop into a taxi. Roughly 20 euro into the city

Rain has a rep as being an over 30's club in Dublin. Not sure what night you hit it!

Good god, over 30? Over 50 more like with a liberal sprinkling on trannies.

A good laugh thoughz

Staying in Hazelbrook House Lower Gardener St. What's the area like and where should we head on the way back from the game ?

Also getting 11 30 plane from Glasgow so time a bit tight , can you give us the name of a reliable airport transfer firm . Many thanks .

Gardiner St is a shit hole, any chance you can change?

Lads another great boozer is the barge pub along the canal, with the time of year it is, there's gonna be loads of people outside drinking and it can hold a fair crowd too, im a big fan of this spot. You could head here then stumble around the corner for a 7min walk and find yourself in coppers or wherever!