Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin? - Page 16 - Republic of Ireland v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any Questions For Your Trip To Dublin?

If you take a look at the photo again..

http://www.pmgroup-global.com/getattachment/912c8963-3c7c-4c91-aa56-b7e4eb1fe673/Aviva-Stadium-1.aspx?1423008000051

Behind the small stand (the one on the left) , you will see residential housing estates behind it. Seemingly the residents of those houses refused to allow the FAI/IRFU to buy them out and they also refused to allow that stand to be large stand on the end of the stadium due to it been so close to their residential properties and that it would have blocked sunlight into the area. The top half of that small stand is all Glass ...which was purposely done to allow sunlight through into that residential area.

Not sure the FAI/IRFU would have had the budgetary requirements to buy out all those properties anyway as the stadium is located in a fairly affluent area of Dublin. But the reason for the small stand is due to local residents behind it refusing a large one which they are entitled to do on legal grounds

Pity...its a great stadium with the exception of that end

That would certainly explain it, cheers! :ok:

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would certainly explain it, cheers! :ok:

Your welcome

if you happen to be in that end on match day - you will notice while the stand itself is small , they still could have fitted in alot more seats into it....i.e by having the rows going higher up as each row went further back towards the back wall of the stand.....but instead you will see the top half of the stand wall just to be pretty much one big glass window, with the all the seating going from the lower half of the stand wall down to pitch level.

Residents agreed with the IRFU/FAI that they could build the small stand provided the top half of the back wall was glass and kept clear so sunlight shone through into their estates

Whilst your here GTR...

Something I've been wanting to know the answer to since the carling nations.. Why is one of the stands tiny ? Is there a particular reason behind it or did they over do it with other 3 stands & realise they didn't have much land left?

It's just how they build stadiums over here. Have a look at Croke Park as well.

It's just how they build stadiums over here. Have a look at Croke Park as well.

eh no ...not really - u are just basing that on 2 very big stadiums (Lansdowne and croke park) ....both of which happen to have very large capacities (85,000 and 54000) and both which are built very close to Dublin city centre limits (which adds extra issues)

Its not a case of its how we build stadia over here

There are loads of factors to consider.....we dont just decide "ah sure we will only build 3 large stands for the craic"

and Croker has 3 for historical reasons.

The open end of Croke Park ( non stand end ) is called "Hill 16" ....you are somewhat correct - it was built from the rubble of O'Connell street which was destroyed in the "Easter 1916" rising which is when we got our Independence from Britain. So that end of the stadium does have a very historical element and alot of people dont want the "Hill" destroyed and rebuilt into a modern Stand which would complete the stadium, due to the historical/1916 issue.

Isn't Croke park not down to the railway line that passes behind the terraced end, and that it would be far to expensive to redevelop?

As well as Deccies historical point , there is other reasons....but while the rail line may once was one, it no longer is. That can be done

The west stand of the new Lansdowne Road is built over a Railway line. That line goes right under the west stand...which ye will see in June.

Rather than it been a railway line issue, the other issue is that the GAA do not own the land directly behind "Hill 16" ...so that brings in massive financial by out issue.

I believe that there was a motion put forward by the GAA members in the 90's for the the "Hill" to be demolished and be converted into a new stand ...however due to the historical element , this motion was not passed and it was agreed that 3 modern stands would be built and the hill would be converted into a new terrace that can hold about 15'000 ppl.

Celtic Park too. It's definitely an Irish thing.

:wink2:

Built by Scottish builders i Presume :wink2:

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

any of you irish lads confirm that the south stand lower is the irish singing section? if so what an atmosphere it should be with abbey travel ta section up above them we will out sing the irish and hopefully out play them too. bring it on!! :sing: :sing: :sing::guitar: :guitar: :guitar::cheers3:

Edited by washboarder

any of you irish lads confirm that the south stand lower is the irish singing section? if so what an atmosphere it should be with abbey travel ta section up above them we will out sing the irish and hopefully out play them too. bring it on!! :sing: :sing: :sing::guitar: :guitar: :guitar::cheers3:

Yep thats our singing section area

Hopefully ye make a better attempt at outsinging us in June than ye did in Parkhead last november :wink2:

I could barely hear you lot in November.

Was there any Irish at the game in November ?

I was far end of ground & all I could hear every now & then was 'Aiden McGeady!!'

We got 3 points though, all that matters eh

lads - ye may need to see a doctor over yere hearing problem if you honestly think that

Ye only piped up when Maloney scored

But singing aside - 3 points is all that matters ....which ye got!

lads - ye may need to see a doctor over yere hearing problem if you honestly think that

Ye only piped up when Maloney scored

But singing aside - 3 points is all that matters ....which ye got!

Funny, I thought we were pretty muted and the Irish were noisy. There was no central "hard core" of noisy Scotland fans at CP, which I think was part of the problem. North Stand regulars were scattered round the ground.

Looking forward to June.

J

Funny, I thought we were pretty muted and the Irish were noisy. There was no central "hard core" of noisy Scotland fans at CP, which I think was part of the problem. North Stand regulars were scattered round the ground.

Looking forward to June.

J

TBH - i thought we(Irish) were noisy in Parkhead....i was expecting more noise from the Scots.....but it cud been just one of those nights

I dont want to turn this into a "our fans are louder than yours" debate ......my lot well know ye (like us) are great fans and we are looking forward to singing with ye in the pubs and streets in Dublin and in Lansdowne Road

Scotland away matches in general are very vocal and after a day or two of drinking the good stuff in Dublin, I imagine us to be as noisy as the match in Fulham against the Nigerians.

That was a superb atmosphere.

:sing: Gordon Strachans Tartan Army :sing:

Staying in College St, we better off drinking close to the Dart station and heading to the stadium in the afternoon or head to the Stadium early to somewhere near the ground.Or will there be a big meeting point for all fans ? Also , any pointers to best pub near the Times Hostel