Goal Distribution - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goal Distribution

Texas Pete

Should we be concerned that only one of our 12 goals in this campaign has been scored by a striker?

10 goals have come from midfield and the other was scored by a centre half.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter who scores our goals but if the goals from midfield dry up could we be in trouble? 

We scored three goals last night and had other chances but Adams didn’t really have a sniff.

Adams does so much work that it creates the space for the attacking mids to score said goals. 

Dykes does aswell but in a different way. He is more likely to actually assist with a knock down or lay off etc.

Both as vital to the way we play.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Should we be concerned that only one of our 12 goals in this campaign has been scored by a striker?

10 goals have come from midfield and the other was scored by a centre half.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter who scores our goals but if the goals from midfield dry up could we be in trouble? 

We scored three goals last night and had other chances but Adams didn’t really have a sniff.

I see what you mean but basically you could ask the same question, if 10 of the 12 goals had come from strikers, you could ask, are we over-reliant on our strikers, if the goals from our strikers dry up we could be in trouble?

10 hours ago, exile said:

I see what you mean but basically you could ask the same question, if 10 of the 12 goals had come from strikers, you could ask, are we over-reliant on our strikers, if the goals from our strikers dry up we could be in trouble?

Absolutely and that would also be a concern but that’s not the way it is. 

If a team is functioning properly you would normally expect the goals to be distributed throughout the team with strikers scoring the most, then midfielders and then defenders. 

Even before this campaign started our top scorer in the current squad is a midfielder. 

As long as we keep scoring goals then I suppose it’s a case of who cares but I’d does seem a bit odd to me. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely and that would also be a concern but that’s not the way it is. 

If a team is functioning properly you would normally expect the goals to be distributed throughout the team with strikers scoring the most, then midfielders and then defenders. 

Even before this campaign started our top scorer in the current squad is a midfielder. 

As long as we keep scoring goals then I suppose it’s a case of who cares but I’d does seem a bit odd to me. 

I think it must be taken into consideration that we all realise we do not have a prolific goalscorer available to us. We tgerefore look to play to out real strengths our midfielders supporting the attack and making late runs into the box. But to be fair to our strikers their strike ratecis no worse than other past strikers of ours who are lauded as greats.

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No not worried in the slightest. I would say it is far better to have goal potential all over the pitch..

If you look at our squad just now it has plenty of goalscorers there:-

McGinn 17

Dykes 9

McTominay 7

Adams 5

Chistie 5

Armstrong 5

McGregor 3

Hendry 3

Robertson 3

Other players have chipped in with goals too.

Yeah I’m not particularly worried but if you look at most international teams their top scorers are generally centre forwards. Kane, Lukaku, Haaland, Ronaldo etc.

Our strikers are obviously not in the same class as these guys but I do find it a bit odd that they haven’t scored more in this campaign.

If McTominay and McGinn keep banging in the goals then happy days. I’m not complaining that they are scoring but if they get injured are the midfielders who replace them going to score as many? 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I’m not particularly worried but if you look at most international teams their top scorers are generally centre forwards. Kane, Lukaku, Haaland, Ronaldo etc.

Our strikers are obviously not in the same class as these guys but I do find it a bit odd that they haven’t scored more in this campaign.

If McTominay and McGinn keep banging in the goals then happy days. I’m not complaining that they are scoring but if they get injured are the midfielders who replace them going to score as many? 

For some bizarre reason, Scotland have never been a conveyor belt of prolific international goalscorers. Even those we consider as our greatest had a modest strike-rate. Not quite sure why but we lag well behind even some lesser countries on that front.