Lack of travel options for evening games - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lack of travel options for evening games

Malcolm

Can transport Scotland and Scot rail not have a look at themselves.  We had to take the car yesterday as I travel to games with Fifers and there were no trains north of Edinburgh that would get them home.  Left home at 4.30, got in to the ground half way through first half as our main road is only two lanes. Missed the first goal.

getting home was also terrible where they shut the M8 for evening works! On the night of a Scotland match 🤷‍♂️  Took over two hours back to Edinburgh.

Surely they can put some trains on for the game.
ludicrous situation where you can’t get to a midweek evening game.

Why didn't you just get a train from Edinburgh. Frequent services every 15 mins to Queen Street and trains to Glasgow Central which would have got you there for around 6pm. Trains to Mount Florida from Central ran every 10 minutes. As for the journey back well I travelled back to Edinburgh by train and arrived in Edinburgh at 11.35 pm.

12 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Can transport Scotland and Scot rail not have a look at themselves.  We had to take the car yesterday as I travel to games with Fifers and there were no trains north of Edinburgh that would get them home.  Left home at 4.30, got in to the ground half way through first half as our main road is only two lanes. Missed the first goal.

getting home was also terrible where they shut the M8 for evening works! On the night of a Scotland match 🤷‍♂️  Took over two hours back to Edinburgh.

Surely they can put some trains on for the game.
ludicrous situation where you can’t get to a midweek evening game.

It took us an hour and 15 mins in a car to get home 15 miles to Bridge of Weir. Its called ‘peak time traffic’ get over it 🙄

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It took us an hour and 15 mins in a car to get home 15 miles to Bridge of Weir. Its called ‘peak time traffic’ get over it 🙄

three and a half hours to go 40 miles is ridiculous, particularly where there is not another option.  If there had been trains we would have got that.

how do you get to a midweek game without taking time off work?

I live in Crail fife …. Drove car to Dundee , parked up . Bus fae Dundee to Glasgow got there plenty time . Hampden express fae city centre and back then 23:10 train back to Dundee fae queen st 🤔 where there’s a will there’s a way 🤷🏼‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

three and a half hours to go 40 miles is ridiculous, particularly where there is not another option.  If there had been trains we would have got that.

how do you get to a midweek game without taking time off work?

Why didn’t you do as Craig suggested? Your pals drive to Edinburgh and get the train from there ? I agree there should be trains from for up north but its not like there wasnt an alternative to driving all the way to Hampden . Surely you must have known that 50k people trying to get there was going to be a problem. Midweek games I imagine more people drive so getting in and out will be much worse. We parked closer to the stadium than normal which was a mistake , but it was our mistake, better to park 15-20 mins walk from Hampden and its easier to get away. 
Anyway, what happened to your chauffeur Malcolm, did you have to let him go ? 🙂

25 minutes ago, MegabusTA said:

I live in Crail fife …. Drove car to Dundee , parked up . Bus fae Dundee to Glasgow got there plenty time . Hampden express fae city centre and back then 23:10 train back to Dundee fae queen st 🤔 where there’s a will there’s a way 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thats the spirit 👍

Could I interest you in the Minister for Transport job, I believe there’s a vacancy 🙂

50 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why didn't you just get a train from Edinburgh. Frequent services every 15 mins to Queen Street and trains to Glasgow Central which would have got you there for around 6pm. Trains to Mount Florida from Central ran every 10 minutes. As for the journey back well I travelled back to Edinburgh by train and arrived in Edinburgh at 11.35 pm.

my pal had to take his car as there were no trains back to fife from haymarket.  We considered taking the train but no parking at haymarket, so drove instead.

why no trains to fife after 10 at night!?

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

my pal had to take his car as there were no trains back to fife from haymarket.  We considered taking the train but no parking at haymarket, so drove instead.

Could he not have parked at your house? 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Why didn’t you do as Craig suggested? Your pals drive to Edinburgh and get the train from there ? I agree there should be trains from for up north but its not like there wasnt an alternative to driving all the way to Hampden . Surely you must have known that 50k people trying to get there was going to be a problem. Midweek games I imagine more people drive so getting in and out will be much worse. We parked closer to the stadium than normal which was a mistake , but it was our mistake, better to park 15-20 mins walk from Hampden and its easier to get away. 
Anyway, what happened to your chauffeur Malcolm, did you have to let him go ? 🙂

yes, looked at the train from Edinburgh but no parking in town.  we left at 4.30 thinking it couldn’t possibly take longer than three hours. Ended up not moving and taking th A71 from Whitburn.

As for the chauffeur, I did once get my girlfriend to drive me to hampden and then pick me up and drive back, but she is no longer.

it’s an absolute ball ache getting to midweek games in this country.  They should move the kick off back to 9 and run trains until 1am.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

aye, with hindsight the best thing to do would have been get an Uber from my house to haymarket.

Aye , well check in with MegabusTa next time you are making your travel plans. He will keep you right. 

Forgot I had taken a pic last night , is this you ? The guy with grey hair and brown jacket ? 

F8F99196-5C6C-46E0-AE17-C0E08559EA78.thumb.png.4341dc3a7ea2e77e4f89bc2446c74801.png

I left Fife just after 5 due to a family issue. Went via Kincardine,parked further away than i usually do.M80 was very busy as well but i got in about 4 mins after 1st goal.

There is more than just the M8 to get to Glasgow.

Came home same way and was back home at half 11.

Meet yer pals at Newbridge and go via M9.

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You could always do what I do - walk out your front door at 7:15, down two streets and into the East Stand, then have your boys complaining “why did we leave so early?” 

Where there’s a will there’s a way. 

hmmmn maybe buy an air bnb right next to hampden with terms and conditions it’s vacant for Scotland matches!

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

There are definitely trains through Fife after 10 at night. There is a 23.00 service to Dundee that stops at stations in Fife.