Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 29 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

Sorry the tri-colour was created in the 1800's not the 18th century.

Indeed I'm looking forward to the trip to Glasgow although I won't be touching the Guinness. Plenty of Scottish brews will be the order of the day (in fact I had one or two too many pints of Schiehallion last night :spin: ).

The plan is to drop the bags at the hotel and head to the football museum at Hampden before going to watch the fans match. Then scuttle into town for a few pre-match pints and a sing-song :guitar:. I'm really looking forward to it.

Schiehallion is decent drop. Good choice. If you like lager try the west St mungo. It is Scottish beer but German in style (ie as per purity laws).

Enjoy your trip. Hoping to meet a few of your fans during the day.

Fancy the match to be a draw which might suit both teams. I fancy Scotland to be more dangerous in Dublin to be honest.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good man Andy...I'll keep an eye out for it.

Right now I'd take a draw in both matches, however I am confident we'll win at home. To be honest there's not much between the two sides ability wise. We just need to have the job done before the Germans come to Dublin next year as I don't fancy going to Warsaw in the last match looking for something to qualify (we'll probably need 4 pts from you guys to do that). It's already squeeky bum time :yikes3:

Edited by ColemanY2K

I'll answer that for you as I reckon I represent the average Irish man.

The answer is simply no. I've been to Celtic Park albeit not for an Old Firm game (I am a Cork City fan not a Celtic fan by the way). We do not carry on like that at International or club matches in Ireland. The tricolour flies in much the same way you'd see the saltire fly at Scottish football matches and is not seen by the different communities in the south of Ireland as a divisive emblem. Sectarian songs are not sung at LOI matches or at Lansdowne Rd (I've not been to the Brandywell in Derry where it may or may not occur), in fact there is no sectarianism in the south of Ireland despite the fact that Protestants make up a significant % of the population. Northern Ireland might as well be on the other side of the planet given the ignorance of issues in the north by people in the south (pretty similar to the ignorance of Londoners to Scotland in general).

i'd like to point out that I've been to an OF game at Ibrox. Having been invited by a Rangers supporting mate we jumped on a Rangers bus in Edinburgh and to say the journey to Ibrox was eventful would be an understatement. I watched the match from the club deck where various individuals including a very irate chap beside me hurled abuse at the Celtic fans for 120 minutes. Yip the match was a league cup semi-final which went into extra time. My point is for the 120 minutes I did not recognise anything that represented Britain never mind Scotland (I spent 7 years in Scotland and 3 so far in England).

Both Celtic and Rangers are strange enigmas. They both claim to represent something or somewhere yet appear to be at odds with those places. The only places that truly represent Scotland and Ireland in a footballing context are Hampden Park and Lansdowne Rd. You will not hear or see any bullshit in these stadia.

Onto your second point, there is no doubt about it that the Irish tricolour has been misused. It was created by Irish nationalists in the 18th century (many of the leaders were Protestants believe it or not). The idea was that the flag represented the people who lived on the island at the time i.e. green represented the Catholics, orange represented the Protestants and white represented peace between the two). Unfortunately historical events took over in the 20th Century and the flag is now seen primarily (at Celtic matches and in Northern Ireland) as a nationalist (catholic) emblem used to goad the very folk it partially represents. A sad state of affairs.

Any how enough of this bollix...I reckon there will be a minimum of 10,000 Irish in the stadium plus god only know's how many Scots supporting Ireland.

Top posting, mate. Far too sensible for this place! I am looking forward to sharing a few :beer2: with the Irish support pre and post match.

Yes - definitely :cheers3:

I once asked them on this board if I was hated because:

1) I am Irish;

2) a woman;

3) a Catholic;

4) a Celtic supporter

A friend jokingly replied "try all four" :-)):-)):-)):-))

The board has change a lot since then - a lot more inclusive. Now we have "Irish" fans showing their ilk - attacking the Irish from the north of Ireland and Celtic fans. Unbelievable. I could write to friends in Cork or where ever in the Republic and they could tear that Jackeen to shreads but what is the point???? He is grovelling soooooooooooooo well :ok:

5) None of the above.

It appears you're unpopular with a lot of traditional TAMBERs plus a few of the Irish ones that have started posting recently.

There's women, Celtic fans, people of faith including Roman Catholic and now Irish folk all posting on here that don't provoke the reaction that you do.

The common denominator to the reaction you get on here is you and the nature and content of your posts.

It really is as simple as that.

5) None of the above.

It appears you're unpopular with a lot of traditional TAMBERs plus a few of the Irish ones that have started posting recently.

There's women, Celtic fans, people of faith including Roman Catholic and now Irish folk all posting on here that don't provoke the reaction that you do.

The common denominator to the reaction you get on here is you and the nature and content of your posts.

It really is as simple as that.

of course you are totally right - I don't bullshit or hide behind smart remarks - I say what I believe to be right and will always debate a point if the other person seems intelligent enough to put forward decent arguments. The fact that even now, hours later, people are still mentioning my name is amazing - flattering in a way. No one has argued against anything I have said - just tried to stop me for giving my opinions.

of course you are totally right - I don't bullshit or hide behind smart remarks - I say what I believe to be right and will always debate a point if the other person seems intelligent enough to put forward decent arguments. The fact that even now, hours later, people are still mentioning my name is amazing - flattering in a way. No one has argued against anything I have said - just tried to stop me for giving my opinions.

You say you don't bullshit and yet you say you're unpopular on here because of your gender, nationality, religion and the club team you support, then later in the same thread you admit that was bullshit.

You also say you're flattered by the attention you get on here, that's pretty sad considering most of the folk who are paying you that attention think you're an erse.

And I'm arguing against a lot of things you've said. Your chat that "You sound like a No voter" is unnecessary, unwelcome and uncalled for. Your post that a fellow poster reminded you of Ian Paisley Jr was completely without context or relevance and phrases like Jackeens and Free Staters belong in the 1920s and should stay there.

you have your very own thread on TA specific

just saying

You say you don't bullshit and yet you say you're unpopular on here because of your gender, nationality, religion and the club team you support, then later in the same thread you admit that was bullshit.

You also say you're flattered by the attention you get on here, that's pretty sad considering most of the folk who are paying you that attention think you're an erse.

And I'm arguing against a lot of things you've said. Your chat that "You sound like a No voter" is unnecessary, unwelcome and uncalled for. Your post that a fellow poster reminded you of Ian Paisley Jr was completely without context or relevance and phrases like Jackeens and Free Staters belong in the 1920s and should stay there.

Now we are getting somewhere!!! Let me answer your points:

1) I joking asked which of four aspects certain people hated me most for! Those were in the days when this board was considered very anti-Celtic. Now it seems to be more inclusive but certain people are the same as before. One actually admitted that only people with the same mindset were welcome on the board.

2) I said the fact that people were still talking about me hours after I had left the board could even be considered flattering. I was being flippant - of course it is sad that people have nothing else to do. You are the only one who has made some arguable points.

3) I was insulted by someone and gave as good as I got - I consider it insulting to tell someone they must be a no voter. Someone else also feels like this because they said they would prefer a proud Irishman than a sniffling etc. etc. no voter. That person what not attacked. The man I said reminded me of Ian Paisley probably considered that a compliment. He has been insulting me for nearly 10 years but would also be a supporter of all things loyalist. Freestaters are very much alive and well in the present day. That man belittled and insulted the northern Irish and Celtic supporters. Of course he wasn't attacked.

Yes there are southern Irish, especially in Dublin, who don't want to be linked to the north of Ireland - they may even wish they had been able to vote no and be British. I do not appreciate their betrayal of their own people - even if it is only on a football board.

Helen , pee off with the Scottish / Irish politics ( or pseudo politics). Football section so better talk about that eh ?

you are right. However I am just replying to people who are bring up political points - I wish they would stop because I will not be silenced, they can't get away with insulting people and talking shit.

you are right. However I am just replying to people who are bring up political points - I wish they would stop because I will not be silenced, they can't get away with insulting people and talking shit.

Why not, you do.