Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead - Page 6 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irish Thinking They Will Have A Massive Support At Parkhead

andyg83

I am sorry to bring reality into this but I know quite a few Celtic supporters - Scots with weegie accents but strong Irish roots - who are completely torn in two by this match :yikes3:

Come on Helen stick a green top on... :ok:

Let the people sing their stories and their songs

And the music of their native land

Their lullabies and battlecries and songs of hope and joy....bring it on!! :cheers3:

We played the North in that mickey mouse Carling Cup of Nations a few years back there was no trouble at Lansdowne Road.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all know the type of characters that have the potential to turn up to support Ireland for this one (i.e. some of the warmers that live in Glasgow).

These people thankfully do not represent the majority of "scots irish" and "irish scots" nor the people coming from across the water.

They are total bunnets and we all know it no matter how we dress it up. Heres hoping they dont bother and leave the rest of us to enjoy it. The irish fans are really great and very much like TA.

PS how long before we get a McGeady McCarthy thread? :-)

I hope that this is not a big issue either as the media and the more extreme OF firms would love us to become embroiled in a "sectarian" scandal as they would call it.

The game should be good. The fans for both teams should be good and i belive the result for us should be good.

Bring it on! If only all the campaigns could be as excitiing as this one.

The plastics only starting appearing once Ireland started having a team. Before the 80's Ireland were like the Faroe Islands !!!! Typical plastic saying is ' I stop going to Scotland games because they refuse to pick Celtic players so I started supporting Ireland' AS IF !!!!! It coincided with them changing over when Ireland starting qualifying to tournaments !!!!! They actually belief the SFA have it in for Celtic .As if the SFA inform the manager not to pick Celtic players.

The plastics only starting appearing once Ireland started having a team. Before the 80's Ireland were like the Faroe Islands !!!! Typical plastic saying is ' I stop going to Scotland games because they refuse to pick Celtic players so I started supporting Ireland' AS IF !!!!! It coincided with them changing over when Ireland starting qualifying to tournaments !!!!! They actually belief the SFA have it in for Celtic .As if the SFA inform the manager not to pick Celtic players.

Did you hear all that down the Louden Tavern Doric?

You switched from plastic paddies to the orange loons in the NI support like they are all interchangeable weegies. It is you carrying the prejudices. Where the fukk are you from to be looking down your nose at weegies BTW.

Im just pointing out there are Scots who will support ROI or NI because of clubs they support.Does nae matter what argument you put up it still does nae change the fact that many Irish fans at the game will be Scottish with only one Irish connection,Celtic FC.

I really cannot emphasize this any more...

The relationship that enslaves us is not the one we have with England, it is the one we have with Ireland.

Sort that out and we unlock the door.

Ah ha you are getting what Im saying after all.

What a load of tosh we got robbed in Bulgaria in 1977 should have qualified for 1978 WC - we always had a good side even under Hand and Giles before him.

Charlton just got the right mix and the system that nobody could handle and the rest is history as they say - we were no Faroe Islands my friend we always had top players in England from the 60's onwards.

Im just pointing out there are Scots who will support ROI or NI because of clubs they support.Does nae matter what argument you put up it still does nae change the fact that many Irish fans at the game will be Scottish with only one Irish connection,Celtic FC.

Ok I suppose what I am saying is this is lazy now. Plastics... FFS explain Aberdeen, Edinburgh, the OAP's... stop reverting to tedious old orange (and green) themes that are badly out of date. The catholics are Yes FFS. Meaning the prods and rest of us must be NO. This is not even new news peever. All this was available knowledge 3 years before I got told to fukk off for being too mouthy. You never ing learn pal.

Edited by thplinth

What a load of tosh we got robbed in Bulgaria in 1977 should have qualified for 1978 WC - we always had a good side even under Hand and Giles before him.

Charlton just got the right mix and the system that nobody could handle and the rest is history as they say - we were no Faroe Islands my friend we always had top players in England from the 60's onwards.

Liam Brady

Frank Stapleton

errr

(Dunphy played for div 2 team)

thing is though ROI games were never on tv / highlights until jack came along

(i recall seeing the 2-2 away to belgium game on grandstand football focus highlights)

was never on the radar for us (or the plastics)

the huge 'immigrant' population based in england & germany certainly boosts (falsely) away supports

Oh do you thinks so. Lets wait and see.I recon 10 to 15,000 of them in the ground.Why on earth did the SFA decide to play this game at Celtic Park? Oh aye that will be because they were expecting a massive support from Glasgows Irish quarter so its all about money.They should have switched the Georgia and Ireland games round playing Ireland at Ibrox.

Play it at ibrox and you'd moan it was like an old firm game.

A lot of folk making arses of themselves on here.

There is not going to be a significant "Glasgow Irish" presence in the home sections at Parkhead and those that do are no better or worse than the punters that head to Ibrox/ Celtic Park rather than cheer on their local team. That's the nature of fitba.

For what it's worth I'll be the guy wearing my (Grandfaither's Irish tartan) kilt cheering on Scotland... :D

Liam Brady

Frank Stapleton

errr

(Dunphy played for div 2 team)

thing is though ROI games were never on tv / highlights until jack came along

(i recall seeing the 2-2 away to belgium game on grandstand football focus highlights)

was never on the radar for us (or the plastics)

the huge 'immigrant' population based in england & germany certainly boosts (falsely) away supports

John Giles started his career at Man Utd and became Leeds Utd's midfield general under Don Revie in the 60's and 70's.

Noel Cantwell and Joe Carolan starred for United in the late 50's and 60's.

Charlie Hurley was a legend and still is at Sunderland.

Tony Dunne and Shay Brennan were the full backs on the 1968 United side the first English team to win the European cup.

Stapleton,O'Leary and Brady were the most famous threesome to ever sign for Arsenal in the early 70's.

Gerry Daly and Mick Martin starred for United in the mid and late seventies.

Steve Heighway was one of Liverpool's greatest wingers played in the 70's.

Don Givens was a top striker for QPR in the 70's.

Pat Bonner was Jock Stein's last signing at Celtic.

I could go on.... :-))

Also you chaps go on about 1967 but we beat the English first in Goodison Park in 1949 the first foreign/overseas nation to beat England on their own patch. :yikes3:

Dunphy is better known for his book writing and football analysis and support of Roy Keane during the Saipan incident, he started under Busby at United but didn't make it and ended up at Millwall, so not really considered a legend.

If there had been a yes vote last month we wouldn't be haviing this discussion - it would have been a match between two independent nations and a celebration of "celticness" in Celtic Park. Those of Irish decent would have supported their own nation, Scotland, without any hesitation. I think they feel excluded by the British name tag! :D Just one point about football and the selection of the Scottish team - why did Jimmy Johnston not get more caps for Scotland??? Was he not good enough :shocked:

If there had been a yes vote last month we wouldn't be haviing this discussion - it would have been a match between two independent nations and a celebration of "celticness" in Celtic Park. Those of Irish decent would have supported their own nation, Scotland, without any hesitation. I think they feel excluded by the British name tag! :D Just one point about football and the selection of the Scottish team - why did Jimmy Johnston not get more caps for Scotland??? Was he not good enough :shocked:

Are you setting out to cause trouble?

You clearly know F all about football. Stick to running buses.

It would have been as well. You took a lot of shyte on here Helen. I said so at the time.