Valencia - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I’ve got tickets for the Valencia v. Inter Milan pre-season ‘Trofeo Naranja’ match in a couple of weeks (it’s a Saturday night game) & just wondered if anyone’s been to the ground or has any tips for parking, beer, food, etc.?

A bit of a niche question as well - I have a blue badge but no idea if that’s any help getting anywhere near?

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve got tickets for the Valencia v. Inter Milan pre-season ‘Trofeo Naranja’ match in a couple of weeks (it’s a Saturday night game) & just wondered if anyone’s been to the ground or has any tips for parking, beer, food, etc.?

A bit of a niche question as well - I have a blue badge but no idea if that’s any help getting anywhere near?

I've only ever been in the airport and tax rank at Valencia airport.

No need for thanks, I know this post was utterly useless to you

15 minutes ago, dan cake said:

bars everywhere but would recommend this place, hes the boy with the drum at all the Spainish national games 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187529-d12948282-Reviews-Bar_Manolo_del_Bombo-Valencia_Province_of_Valencia_Valencian_Country.html

That looks like me & the lad's kind of bar :beer2:

Was in Valencia a few weeks ago and did the stadium tour but didn't pay too much attention to the surrounding streets for parking unfortunately as we walked, there is also a tram station reasonably close by. 

@Jersey Jim might be able to help , he knows it quite well. As Dan Cake says, there are lots of bars. Its a great city if you have some spare time. Loads to do.  

6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

My favourite city in Europe, have a few beers and lunch down at the Marina area, some great restaurants and a lovely beach.

For getting around buy an all day Metro ticket for the underground, there’s half a dozen lines which serve all areas of the city ( only around €8 for unlimited travel )

The ground is actually quite close to the city, around 4 of the Metro stops are within easy walking distance to the stadium.

Loads of bars around the ground, is avoid Manolos bar on match days, it’s a small place and gets mobbed hours before kick off, get up to the ground early as there’s always a great atmosphere on match days hours prior to kick off.

Try and avoid seats in the gods if you can, I was there a couple of months ago for Arsenal game and it was hard to make out what was happening on the pitch as you’re that far away. Also unless your quite fit it’s actually a knackering walk to get to the top, few Arsenal fans struggled after a day on the Sangria lol.

The stadium is really dated now and falling to bits, Valencia started to build a new stadium a few years ago but ran out of money, old stadium but I love it full of history and character.

Enjoy 

I was in Valencia for the abandoned game in 2004 at levante(christ, 15 years ago 😪) The city was going through a fair bit of work then so I think it will be a bit different now.

I seem to remember the area around the bullring was great for eating and drinking and as Dan cake said a visit to manolo's bar is well it.

Cracking city!

Cheap to eat and drink compared to more touristy places, only downside is not as many people speak English, but we had no problem. Found people pleasant and felt safe there.

Saw the Mestalla, but didn’t go in as we were playing Levante. It’s close to the city centre, and easily walkable if you’re up to it (presuming you got your blue badge free with an Audi/BMW 😜).

The open top bus tour goes close to it, also goes past the new stadium, which looked nearly finished 6 years ago.

29 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I was in Valencia for the abandoned game in 2004 at levante(christ, 15 years ago 😪) The city was going through a fair bit of work then so I think it will be a bit different now.

I seem to remember the area around the bullring was great for eating and drinking and as Dan cake said a visit to manolo's bar is well it.

We were there for a week and only came across the Bullring area on our second last day when we were looking for the Bullring 🙄

We stayed in the El Carmen area, there was so much to do there at night we didn't need to venture further afield.

Its a brilliant city. Completely agree with SMFC  

Cheers for the info everyone; really useful. Sad to say that they don't give away blue badges with a Mazda 3 but I'll mention it next time 😎

It sounds like it will be worth getting their early & having a good look around (I'm not immobile, just slow & have my own personal set of 'wheels' as well). We're staying about 130 miles to the South but should be an easy enough drive. I'm looking forward to it.

On the basis of stubbornly supporting a generally crap team & not having much to do with anyone else, the nearest I've ever got to a night-time European game is Dunfermline away in a pre-season friendly so it should be good.

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

We were there for a week and only came across the Bullring area on our second last day when we were looking for the Bullring 🙄

We stayed in the El Carmen area, there was so much to do there at night we didn't need to venture further afield.

Its a brilliant city. Completely agree with SMFC  

It's a sprawling city, we stayed in a holiday inn which was pretty central. One morning we decided to walk to the beach, we couldn't even find the sea 😂