Binoculars Or A Telescope - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Binoculars Or A Telescope

What would be better for looking at buildings about 15/20 miles away?

I do a lot of cycling and walking round here and on one of my regular routes there’s a bridge where I can see right into the centre of Tokyo and also some towns nearby...I’m guessing that distance wise they are about 15 or 20 miles from me.

Cheers

:whistling:

What would you class as 'High Magnification'?

Views 15 to 20 miles away would need high magnification but as you could be walking you would also need to take into account portability. I would say you should be looking at 16x upwards ...but your not going to be able to see inside anyone's window at that distance :)

Views 15 to 20 miles away would need high magnification but as you could be walking you would also need to take into account portability. I would say you should be looking at 16x upwards ...but your not going to be able to see inside anyone's window at that distance :)

Cheers for the info! :ok:

Another possibility, if you are into photography and needing a new camera, is to get a high end "bridge" camera.

I've got a Panasonic FZ200. This has got a 24x zoom lens that does a fantastic job on faraway views. You can use this like a telescope and has the advantage of image stabilisation.

"Bridge" cameras usually have a smaller sensor and that makes them compact and just as easy to carry around as large binoculars.

You have the added advantage of being able to capture an image (just think of those through the window shots :)) and if you know what you are doing you can minimize haze effect through Photoshop.

Another possibility, if you are into photography and needing a new camera, is to get a high end "bridge" camera.

I've got a Panasonic FZ200. This has got a 24x zoom lens that does a fantastic job on faraway views. You can use this like a telescope and has the advantage of image stabilisation.

"Bridge" cameras usually have a smaller sensor and that makes them compact and just as easy to carry around as large binoculars.

You have the added advantage of being able to capture an image (just think of those through the window shots :)) and if you know what you are doing you can minimize haze effect through Photoshop.

Amazing internet connection from the Bar'l these days.

How about a monocular, then you have the magnification but also one hand free?

:ok:

TT

Is this another one of those "Derek hasnae got a burd" threads?

No need to admire her from such a distance. Simply place a tracking device in her pocket/handbag etc and you will be able to stalk her even in those really busy public areas, also giving you the possibility of standing immediately behind her on a packed subway carriage. Therefore a standard mobile phone could be used for candid upskirt video recording.

Great view tae :)

:yikes3: I'll tell the fellas on G wing!

Was out today at Mugdock Park and was using my freebie Scottish Trust binoculars and could see for miles. Could see the big windmill on the Cathkin Braes as though it was few feet away.