James McArthur - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James McArthur

kumnio

On 8/27/2018 at 8:24 PM, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure how it doesn’t make sense. He’s saying he still wants to play for Scotland but just not for the rest of this year due to his back issues. 

McTominay asked not to be selected while he tried to establish himself in the Man U team and has come into the squad with no issues. It’s clearly not exactly the same but it’s still a player asking not to be selected.

Brown actually retired and then came back and all was forgiven.

Lots of players have spat the dummy (Boyd and Fletcher off the top of my head)and have been welcomed back.

I personally don’t think McArthur will be back as he’s past his best anyway and we have no shortage of good midfielders but to suggest he shouldn’t be considered again is harsh.

Was all really forgiven with Brown, Boyd and Fletcher? I’m not sure it was. 

Players shouldn’t be allowed to pick and choose when they want to be considered for Scotland, you’re in our out. It gives the impression that Scotland doesn’t matter as much and can have an effect on the squad mentality. Any manager with balls would end it now but Mcliesh is already showing he’s lacking in testicles. He’s set his stall out to allow players to take the piss. good luck with that Eck ☹️

Ive long suspected that a few of our players aren’t really that committed to the cause, no proof of course. Hopefully this new generation see it Differently.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Was all really forgiven with Brown, Boyd and Fletcher? I’m not sure it was. 

Players shouldn’t be allowed to pick and choose when they want to be considered for Scotland, you’re in our out. It gives the impression that Scotland doesn’t matter as much and can have an effect on the squad mentality. Any manager with balls would end it now but Mcliesh is already showing he’s lacking in testicles. He’s set his stall out to allow players to take the piss. good luck with that Eck ☹️

Ive long suspected that a few of our players aren’t really that committed to the cause, no proof of course. Hopefully this new generation see it Differently.

That’s quite a simplistic view isn’t it? Not everything is as black and white as that.

For all we know, McArthur has been given medical advice not to play for Scotland so his back can fullly recover. If that’s the case then it’s fair enough, although it would have been by a club doctor who wouldn’t care about Scotland. 

This whole ‘players have a duty to Scotland and should put international football before their club’ that some people come away with is utter bollocks. A player’s health comes first and they also have to listen to their employer.

I do agree that people should not be able to pick and choose when to play for their country but it’s different if it’s a medical issue surely? Snodgrass and Mabozza should not be selected again in my opinion but it’s a little bit different for McArthur I think  

As for Brown, Boyd and Fletcher, obviously some people held a grudge but I think most fans got over it. Boyd and Fletcher were bit part players for us in the grand scheme of things and Brown was arguably our best player who simply changed his mind about international retirement. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s quite a simplistic view isn’t it? Not everything is as black and white as that.

For all we know, McArthur has been given medical advice not to play for Scotland so his back can fullly recover. If that’s the case then it’s fair enough, although it would have been by a club doctor who wouldn’t care about Scotland. 

This whole ‘players have a duty to Scotland and should put international football before their club’ that some people come away with is utter bollocks. A player’s health comes first and they also have to listen to their employer.

I do agree that people should not be able to pick and choose when to play for their country but it’s different if it’s a medical issue surely? Snodgrass and Mabozza should not be selected again in my opinion but it’s a little bit different for McArthur I think  

As for Brown, Boyd and Fletcher, obviously some people held a grudge but I think most fans got over it. Boyd and Fletcher were bit part players for us in the grand scheme of things and Brown was arguably our best player who simply changed his mind about international retirement. 

I stopped reading at the bold part, I never came close to saying that and I don't think I have ever read that on the tamb 

48 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I stopped reading at the bold part, I never came close to saying that and I don't think I have ever read that on the tamb 

That’s a shame. I made some pretty good points after that bit. I’ll just need to learn to live with your rejection.

I didn’t say you did say that. 

I’ve read similar pish on here for years though. Nonsense about how international football is more important than club football. Obviously it is to some fans and even some players but they would be in the minority.

Some people don’t seem to realise that some footballers come to see playing as a job, including international football and would happily miss some Scotland games if it meant prolonging their club careers even a tiny bit.

You and I would probably give our right arm to pull on the dark blue jersey but not everyone sees it like that. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s a shame. I made some pretty good points after that bit. I’ll just need to learn to live with your rejection.

I didn’t say you did say that. 

I’ve read similar pish on here for years though. Nonsense about how international football is more important than club football. Obviously it is to some fans and even some players but they would be in the minority.

Some people don’t seem to realise that some footballers come to see playing as a job, including international football and would happily miss some Scotland games if it meant prolonging their club careers even a tiny bit.

You and I would probably give our right arm to pull on the dark blue jersey but not everyone sees it like that. 

I can't remember much people saying that unless they were talking about themselves, I know people who don't support a club side anymore but they follow scotland. Perhaps they were talking about a personal preference rather what they think a players attitude should be.

I know there are players who don't see it as the fans do, these are the players we don't need, do you really believe Mcarthur has been advised to miss scotland matches by a medical professional, my guess is not. 

It is black and white, if you are even thinking about missing a scotland game, you are not fully committed. It shouldn't even cross there mind to miss a game unless they have genuine injury concerns. If Mcarthur did have genuine medical reasons for missing these matches, he would be taking time off from Crystal Palace too. He still gets paid by palace if he takes time off to heal.

I don't expect a player to put Scotland before their employers but I do expect a level of commitment on a par with what the give to their club. If we have players willing to do that, we would have a starting chance at qualifying

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't remember much people saying that unless they were talking about themselves, I know people who don't support a club side anymore but they follow scotland. Perhaps they were talking about a personal preference rather what they think a players attitude should be.

I know there are players who don't see it as the fans do, these are the players we don't need, do you really believe Mcarthur has been advised to miss scotland matches by a medical professional, my guess is not. 

It is black and white, if you are even thinking about missing a scotland game, you are not fully committed. It shouldn't even cross there mind to miss a game unless they have genuine injury concerns. If Mcarthur did have genuine medical reasons for missing these matches, he would be taking time off from Crystal Palace too. He still gets paid by palace if he takes time off to heal.

I don't expect a player to put Scotland before their employers but I do expect a level of commitment on a par with what the give to their club. If we have players willing to do that, we would have a starting chance at qualifying

So you’ve never heard the old ‘playing for Scotland should be the pinnacle of any players career’ stuff? There’s a lot of it about. 

Lots of people prefer international football, myself included. 

If a player is struggling with a slight injury and is having pain killing injections to help them play or whatever, I can understand someone doing that for their club so they don’t lose their place in the team, but not wanting to risk it for international football. I personally wouldn’t do that but everyone is different. I’m not sure that should warrant permanent exclusion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

I don’t recall you shouting for McTominay to be disregarded when he asked not to be selected recently. What’s your thoughts on that?

38 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So you’ve never heard the old ‘playing for Scotland should be the pinnacle of any players career’ stuff? There’s a lot of it about. 

Lots of people prefer international football, myself included. 

If a player is struggling with a slight injury and is having pain killing injections to help them play or whatever, I can understand someone doing that for their club so they don’t lose their place in the team, but not wanting to risk it for international football. I personally wouldn’t do that but everyone is different. I’m not sure that should warrant permanent exclusion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

I don’t recall you shouting for McTominay to be disregarded when he asked not to be selected recently. What’s your thoughts on that?

its not a case of whether we would do it or not, Mcarthur clearly isn't committed enough to Scotland, he see's it as something he can let go if he wants. 

What were McTomineys reasons for asking not be considered? Was this before or after he committed to Scotland?

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

its not a case of whether we would do it or not, Mcarthur clearly isn't committed enough to Scotland, he see's it as something he can let go if he wants. 

What were McTomineys reasons for asking not be considered? Was this before or after he committed to Scotland?

From memory he played for our U21s but asked not to be selected for the senior squad as he wanted to concentrate on getting into the Man U team. Then came all the hooha about whether he would switch to England or not. Either way he wasn’t ‘committed enough to Scotland’. I appreciate it’s a different situation to McArthur. All cases should be looked at individually by the Scotland manager though shouldn’t they? Us plebs don’t get a say on who is selected.  

What about all the guys that pulled out of the Mexico/South America trip? Should they be banned as well? 

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

From memory he played for our U21s but asked not to be selected for the senior squad as he wanted to concentrate on getting into the Man U team. Then came all the hooha about whether he would switch to England or not. Either way he wasn’t ‘committed enough to Scotland’. I appreciate it’s a different situation to McArthur. All cases should be looked at individually by the Scotland manager though shouldn’t they? Us plebs don’t get a say on who is selected.  

What about all the guys that pulled out of the Mexico/South America trip? Should they be banned as well? 

If Mctominey had yet to pick between us and england thats fair enough in my book, he will have had mixed emotions about it, living down here with a few anglo jocks, I can completely understand that now.

I wouldn't ban anyone immediately, but their commitment should be questioned publicly, brenda rodgers wasn't exaclty slow in going public with his opinion when the friendlies were announced, eck and the SFA should have responded, instead they backed down and gave some players a break, this allows some to think they can pick and chose. If we had a strong governing body and manager they would have said publicly there are no exceptions, this would have weeded those who are not committed to the cause. 

before the resident tims go ape shit or start holding a candle lit vigil, I only used rodgers as an example, my opinion is the same for any player who makes themselves unavlaible

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I’m quite sure he’ll be under huge pressure from his club to keep himself fit for league games. These guys get paid an absolute fortune and employers don’t want them on the physio’s table as a consequence of playing in games they have no interest in. Simple as that, however emotive it is for us. 

10 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m quite sure he’ll be under huge pressure from his club to keep himself fit for league games. These guys get paid an absolute fortune and employers don’t want them on the physio’s table as a consequence of playing in games they have no interest in. Simple as that, however emotive it is for us. 

are you suggestion its his club who's pressuring him to not play for Scotland? Apologies, I'm not sure what your point is here.

On 8/28/2018 at 12:13 PM, wee-toon-red said:

So Snodgrass doesn't want to play either and hasn't even came up with a niggling injury as an excuse. Poor show. Can only hope our other wingers do well enough that we never need to worry about Snoddy again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45328252

Snodgrass appears to have changed his mind since he’s accepted a call up. I wonder how this will go down on here and at Hampden if he gets on the pitch. 

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Snodgrass appears to have changed his mind since he’s accepted a call up. I wonder how this will go down on here and at Hampden if he gets on the pitch. 

They're both treating the Albania game as if it's a friendly

42 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I find any accusations that these players don't care about playing for Scotland funny 

In my very humble opinion Snodgrass & McArthur have made more sacrifices and put more time and effort into the Scotland team then 95% of the fans that will be at Hampden for the games. They dont have to go away and train with the squad, fly round europe and be away from their familes for a week or so and deal with the fans slagging them off when they dont play well. The only reason they do this is because they want to play for scotland. They dont need the money, the exposure of playing international football to further their career etc  

On 8/29/2018 at 1:23 PM, Texas Pete said:

He played at the weekend

He's fit

22 minutes ago, borojock said:

I find any accusations that these players don't care about playing for Scotland funny 

In my very humble opinion Snodgrass & McArthur have made more sacrifices and put more time and effort into the Scotland team then 95% of the fans that will be at Hampden for the games. They dont have to go away and train with the squad, fly round europe and be away from their familes for a week or so and deal with the fans slagging them off when they dont play well. The only reason they do this is because they want to play for scotland. They dont need the money, the exposure of playing international football to further their career etc  

Yeah what makes me laugh is the sanctimonious ‘these traitors should never play for Scotland again’ pish that gets spewed. 

We quite often won’t know the whole story. 

I do agree that if someone fucks Scotland about then they shouldn’t be selected again. Or if someone feels they are too old to commit to Scotland then they should just retire from international football. Players shouldn’t get to pick and choose which Scotland games they play in but if someone asks for a break due to a health issue or maybe even a personal one then there’s nothing wrong with that in my book, even if the player still turns out for their club. 

It comes down to individual circumstances for me. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah what makes me laugh is the sanctimonious ‘these traitors should never play for Scotland again’ pish that gets spewed. 

We quite often won’t know the whole story. 

I do agree that if someone fucks Scotland about then they shouldn’t be selected again. Or if someone feels they are too old to commit to Scotland then they should just retire from international football. Players shouldn’t get to pick and choose which Scotland games they play in but if someone asks for a break due to a health issue or maybe even a personal one then there’s nothing wrong with that in my book, even if the player still turns out for their club. 

It comes down to individual circumstances for me. 

agree 100% with this 

28 minutes ago, borojock said:

Im assuming you know the pre and post match medical treatment and injections he goes through

im also guessing you know what pain level he has during and after the game 

He just needs to do that for the Albania game then

He can sit out Belgium

23 minutes ago, Bino's said:

He just needs to do that for the Albania game then

He can sit out Belgium

Or maybe we could act like adults and respect his decision? 

McArthur knows he is risking his international future and in all likelihood will not play for Scotland again unless we have an injury crisis. 

He obviously doesn’t feel his body is up to playing every week over the next three months and probably didn’t come to his decision lightly. 

If it turns out that he is 100% fit and simply can’t be arsed playing for Scotland then I agree he should called out and ostracised but if he genuinely feels that he needs the time off to fully recover so he can prolong his club and possibly his international career then fair enough. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Or maybe we could act like adults and respect his decision? 

McArthur knows he is risking his international future and in all likelihood will not play for Scotland again unless we have an injury crisis. 

He obviously doesn’t feel his body is up to playing every week over the next three months and probably didn’t come to his decision lightly. 

If it turns out that he is 100% fit and simply can’t be arsed playing for Scotland then I agree he should called out and ostracised but if he genuinely feels that he needs the time off to fully recover so he can prolong his club and possibly his international career then fair enough. 

He's playing every week for crystal palace so he does feel his body's up to it

Just now, Bino's said:

He's playing every week for crystal palace so he does feel his body's up to it

How is he playing every week for Crystal Palace? Palace won’t have a game during the international breaks will they? He won’t play again until the 15th of September.