Parking Etiquette - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Parking Etiquette

28 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think it's more to do with the extra space required to get them in and out of car seats etc.

The parking at Gyms/sports centre is generally some of the worst and inconsiderate you'll see, which I always find ironic. I'll do 10k on the treadmill, but I'll not be walking 50 feet from my car to the front door...

It's generally pretty heartwarming looking at disabled parking spaces, the cars let you see that disability isn't holding many of these people back.

:lol:

I presume Audi Q5s are the reliant robins of our time?

:P

I was kind of joking haha. But as people have said beforr im sure all previous generations managed to get prams and car seats out just fine without extra special spaces.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Parent and child spaces are fair game for everyone, too many fat kids nowadays, make them walk. 

Was in M&S just before school started and they have a plus size range in children's school uniforms. I remember the fat kid in each primary then year (no, wasn't me. -_-) but now it really seems 60/40 ratio slim to fat kids. Adults in the future will really struggle with weight as they've never known healthy living or eating. 

Back to parking........

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Was in M&S just before school started and they have a plus size range in children's school uniforms. I remember the fat kid in each primary then year (no, wasn't me. -_-) but now it really seems 60/40 ratio slim to fat kids. Adults in the future will really struggle with weight as they've never known healthy living or eating. 

Back to parking........

Yeah that sht annys me, its like making it acceptable for people to be fst. Like shops thst advertise being for fat folk. 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Back to parking........

31 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Yeah that sht annys me, its like making it acceptable for people to be fst. Like shops thst advertise being for fat folk. 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

I have an admission, in case you've missed it in my hundreds of other posts, I'm a weebil nearly as wide as tall. I do though, think it entitles me to point at fellow fatties goin"ooooohhhhh look at you." so carry on. 

There's a shop in EK shopping centre (probably other places too) and they have a sign in the window saying sizes 2XL to 10 XL!!

(If I'm honest if it wasn't a men's shop I'd buy my Christmas outfit there!) 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

.:lol::lol:

I reason  use the parent and child spaces is because I can't get my son in and out of his car seat without hurting him if I'm parked in a standard space and there's someone parked next to me.  

In a standard space I can barely get myself between the door and the car without battering the car next to me. Try that when adding in lifting a 2 year old into the seat and clipping them in, it's a nightmare. 

Folk then wonder why doors get battered in supermarket car parks. 

As mentioned above, I really wish they would put them at the furthest point from the entrance to put people off parking in them that don't have kids. Also I would bet that historically parking spaces weren't as tight as they are now, lucky if you're getting 2.5 metres and if the person next to you has parked on the line you've got no chance of getting your kid out of the car seat. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I think cars are getting bigger. Land rovers were for farmers 20 years ago.

That'll be part of it too but spaces are definitely smaller. Developing tight bits of land where they have to have a minimum number of spaces means the easiest way to get more is to narrrow them, and now the width of a "normal" parking space is about 2.5m and the width of a family car is around 1.8m.

On 29/09/2017 at 9:05 AM, Lion Rampant said:

I reason  use the parent and child spaces is because I can't get my son in and out of his car seat without hurting him if I'm parked in a standard space and there's someone parked next to me.  

In a standard space I can barely get myself between the door and the car without battering the car next to me. Try that when adding in lifting a 2 year old into the seat and clipping them in, it's a nightmare. 

As mentioned above, I really wish they would put them at the furthest point from the entrance to put people off parking in them that don't have kids. Also I would bet that historically parking spaces weren't as tight as they are now, lucky if you're getting 2.5 metres and if the person next to you has parked on the line you've got no chance of getting your kid out of the car seat. 

If you have to take the weans then plenty of calpol an hour before the trip, you'll then be able to just reach in grab top mid chest and lift them out of tight spot as they'll be all floppy and drowsy, also they won't be too moany if you scrape them off the side of door. 

G-Man for all your child dilemmas. ?

On 9/20/2017 at 9:02 AM, Parklife said:

I'd ignore it. If the car on the opposite side arrived after you then he's in the wrong as he's the one who blocked the road. 

Folk are right weirdos about parking at their house. The folk that think they own the road in front of their property make me laugh. 

When I first moved down here we were in a traditional red brick terraced house, parking near the house was close to impossible. We used to park about 300-400 yards from the house. The neighbours on either side of us used to watch from their windows until the space directly outside the house became available. It was hilarious :lol:

7 hours ago, G-Man said:

If you have to take the weans then plenty of calpol an hour before the trip, you'll then be able to just reach in grab top mid chest and lift them out of tight spot as they'll be all floppy and drowsy, also they won't be too moany if you scrape them off the side of door. 

On 29/09/2017 at 0:13 AM, Ally Bongo said:

:lol: I have a good Canadian friends who is the doulbe of him (not weight wise) but facialy and hes a bit podgy, he gets slated for being Doug all the time

On 29/09/2017 at 9:05 AM, Lion Rampant said:

Agree that spaces are pretty small. When I lived in Canada the spaces were huge, obviously a lot of their "cars" are bigger, but there was plenty of space even for the biggest truck etc. They even had "small car" spaces, which I would say are a good bit bigger than our biggest cars.

14 hours ago, G-Man said: