Tempur Mattress - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So, now we are up to a mattress, pillows (times 2, I think) and a mattress protector? At least you've helped somebody on the road to salesperson of the month award. 

I would have been cheaper just paying her monthly salary. 

I did end up buying ikea's 'best' (old school) mattress and it has been great. Rather than buy some orthopedic number that costs a mint I'd say go for a 'top end' (i.e. still cheap) ikea new one and then when you inevitably shit the bed just replace it and not go bankrupt.  

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

So, now we are up to a mattress, pillows (times 2, I think) and a mattress protector? At least you've helped somebody on the road to salesperson of the month award. 

I was on the verge of buying a mattress from Dreams around a year ago and the saleswoman tried to throw in the mattress protector at a 'reduced price'.  'Let's be honest, its always the men the that pee the bed' she turned and said to my wife.  How she thought that was a good sales line I'll never know.  Straight over the road to Benson's it was!

Edited by littleboyblue

On 07/06/2017 at 10:35 PM, thplinth said:

AI did end up buying ikea's 'best' (old school) mattress and it has been great. Rather than buy some orthopedic number that costs a mint I'd say go for a 'top end' (i.e. still cheap) ikea new one and then when you inevitably shit the bed just replace it and not go bankrupt.  

Thanks for that piece of practical advice, have you suggested this a sales line to Ikea ? You can just  'Shitin it n bin it '. 

I am so depressed at the election I have forgotten all about my bad back . 

On 08/06/2017 at 2:05 PM, littleboyblue said:

I was on the verge of buying a mattress from Dreams around a year ago and the saleswoman tried to throw in the mattress protector at a 'reduced price'.  'Let's be honest, its always the men the that pee the bed' she turned and said to my wife.  How she thought that was a good sales line I'll never know.  Straight over the road to Benson's it was!

I actuallly went to Bensons beds too , who were offering the same deal. But i went back to Dreams as the wee sales girl looked like my daughter ?

I had a similar experience with a bad sales line when i was buying a kitchen. The guy came to the house, measured up etc and my husband was sitting in the living room totally uninterested. The guy says to me ' does your husband not want to see what you are looking at' . I said , nah , he has no interest in anything like this. The guy said , without a hint of humour, 'oh, they usually want to get involved as they are the ones  paying for it '. Wtf?? 

Can you believe it, i was typing this on the train , didnt realise it had reached my station. I jumped off the train quickly then realised I had left a suitcase i have borrowed from my pal on the train . Jumped back on the train to get it, the doors closed behind me and i am now on my way to Kilwinning . ? To make matters worse the only thing in the fckin case is some litereture i had printed from the internet on how to help correct an anterior pelvic tilt . 

• 1 month later...

Its gone ?

I have finally replaced my shit memory foam mattress with , well, another memory foam mattress.

This one is called the Tempur 'Sensation'. I am actually very optimistic about this mattress as the last one was called the 'Tempur Deluxe', and to my mind Sensational definitely  trumps Deluxe.  

I was  given one opportunity to swap the mattress and I have thrown all my money on black. I could have played safe and gone back to a spring mattress. Instead I have gambled my mobility and gone for a hybrid. Memory foam but with a  tiny wee spring in it. So wee I couldnt actually feel any spring, but I have been assured by the very honest sales rep that it is definetely there . 

Either way everyones a winner. It it works I will feel like 21 again. If it doesnt I will have even more hours of my day available to post shite on this site, whilst crippled with athritis on my sensational mattress.

I may even venture into the football sections, which could resemble a nasty trogan virus. Even scarier than Ormond in his younger days. Beware. 

54 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

I find foam mattresses too hot. a good quality sprung mattress is the best for me.

Its the heat I like. After 30 years of marriage there is no too much natural warmth in a bed I can tell you.

The foam mattress provides you with your own wee heat charged pod and it does seem to be helping my back a lot.  That is why I am giving foam another chance, whilst hoping the combination of supposed spring is better than the current mattress which you sink into but canny get out of. This in turn has given me a neck problem that I didnt have before.

I can undertand why others would hate the heat though. 

I find mattresses priced at £700 and above a complete farce !

Can get a really good one off Amazon for a fifth of those Tempur prices

We are designed to sleep in caves FFS

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Its the heat I like. After 30 years of marriage there is no too much natural warmth in a bed I can tell you.

The foam mattress provides you with your own wee heat charged pod and it does seem to be helping my back a lot.  That is why I am giving foam another chance, whilst hoping the combination of supposed spring is better than the current mattress which you sink into but canny get out of. This in turn has given me a neck problem that I didnt have before.

I can undertand why others would hate the heat though. 

ah fair enough, and if the heat helps your back I can see that. I am just generally quite a warm blooded person I think. my wife is often cold and putting blankets on when I am too hot. its a bit of a pain.

I find it hard to undertstand why anyone would spend over 20 grand on a car when there are perfectly good cars available at a fraction of that price, but if someone feels the quality of a more expensive car is worth the money then who am I to judge. 

I know nothing about mattresses and given it is not something you cannot normally return easily if you have made the wrong choice, I decided to go with a leading manufacturer from a store, rather than something off the internet. Of course I could have got one cheaper and of decent quality. 

Depite my tongue in cheek posts on this thread I put a lot of importance on sleep quality and how to help my creaky old bones as I go through the menopause ( I could start a thread on that if there is sufficient interest) and am willing to sacrifice other things to get a decent mattress. I may be paying more than I need to but thats my choice.

I am sure caves have their quirky atttractions and prehistoric bondage ( see 'Ormond') however I doubt I would have even have reached the menopause if I slept in one. Probably cos my husband would have clubbed me to death long before my beard became thicker than his. 

47 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I find it hard to undertstand why anyone would spend over 20 grand on a car when there are perfectly good cars available at a fraction of that price...

I think a lot of it is status anxiety and good old fashioned vanity. Funnily enough I think Ally drives a fast and expensive motor. 

Edited by thplinth

30 minutes ago, Mindimoo said:

I prefer a good old fashioed spring mattress but it is totally personal.  Mattresses and other bedding are a bit like good meat to me - you pay for quality.  Enjoy your sleep @TDYER63 

Thanks Mindy.

It ended up as a straight choice between what I have gone for, and a good pocket sprung. It all came down to a game of ' eeny meeny mindi moo'  ?

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I find it hard to undertstand why anyone would spend over 20 grand on a car when there are perfectly good cars available at a fraction of that price, but if someone feels the quality of a more expensive car is worth the money then who am I to judge. 

I know nothing about mattresses and given it is not something you cannot normally return easily if you have made the wrong choice, I decided to go with a leading manufacturer from a store, rather than something off the internet. Of course I could have got one cheaper and of decent quality. 

Depite my tongue in cheek posts on this thread I put a lot of importance on sleep quality and how to help my creaky old bones as I go through the menopause ( I could start a thread on that if there is sufficient interest) and am willing to sacrifice other things to get a decent mattress. I may be paying more than I need to but thats my choice.

I am sure caves have their quirky atttractions and prehistoric bondage ( see 'Ormond') however I doubt I would have even have reached the menopause if I slept in one. Probably cos my husband would have clubbed me to death long before my beard became thicker than his. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I think a lot of it is status anxiety and good old fashioned vanity. Funnily enough I think Ally drives a fast and expensive motor. 

It is big, fast and was expensive when new but it's not vanity or cock issues

Got it 2nd hand with 20,000 miles on the clock and makes travelling to my shitehole of a work and back less depressing, especially when young neds in their beamers fancy their chances

CCLqbduWEAAnosa.jpg

• 2 years later...

I am officially crippled by this bloody mattress. 2 years on and I am stooped over like Quasimodo.

I am just back from holiday during which I have had no back issues, 2 nights back on my Tempur mattress and my lower back is killing me. Before I bite the bullet and get a new mattress can anyone recommend a good ( non memory foam) mattress topper that I could try first before forking out on a mattress?

Between this and my Thomas Cook debacle 2 single beds might be a wise alternative as I don't think Mr Tidys blood pressure can take much more. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am officially crippled by this bloody mattress. 2 years on and I am stooped over like Quasimodo.

I am just back from holiday during which I have had no back issues, 2 nights back on my Tempur mattress and my lower back is killing me. Before I bite the bullet and get a new mattress can anyone recommend a good ( non memory foam) mattress topper that I could try first before forking out on a mattress?

Between this and my Thomas Cook debacle 2 single beds might be a wise alternative as I don't think Mr Tidys blood pressure can take much more. 

Did you think about checking what kind of mattress you had on holiday? You could have had one shipped home.

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did you think about checking what kind of mattress you had on holiday? You could have had one shipped home.

😂 I did ! I pulled off all the sheets looking for a manufacturers label but the only thing on the mattress was a label saying it had been inspected for cleanliness. There was also a mattress topper which gave me the idea to try this first. Unfortunately there was no label on that either 😕

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 I did ! I pulled off all the sheets looking for a manufacturers label but the only thing on the mattress was a label saying it had been inspected for cleanliness. There was also a mattress topper which gave me the idea to try this first. Unfortunately there was no label on that either 😕

Should have left some of your shoes behind and stuffed it in your suitcase.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Should have left some of your shoes behind and stuffed it in your suitcase.

Dammit, I hate it when you have good ideas  😡

In hindsight I should have bought a topper from the hotel, paid for a second suitcase on the flight  and brought it home in that. 

If anyone is going to Turkey in the near future I have a small favour to ask...