March for Independence - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March for Independence

https://www.facebook.com/events/403552719768881/?acontext={"action_history"%3A"[{\"surface\"%3A\"page\"%2C\"mechanism\"%3A\"page_upcoming_events_card\"%2C\"extra_data\"%3A[]}]"%2C"has_source"%3Atrue}

This Saturday, meet 10.30 at Kelvingrove Park ( Kelvin Way entrance). March leaves 11am going to Glasgow Green via George Sq. up to 20k expected, 250 YES bikers doing their thing too. Bring the weans and family. A great opportunity to show labour and the tories their claim of no desire for a referendum is a pile of shite.

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, neilly71 said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/403552719768881/?acontext={"action_history"%3A"[{\"surface\"%3A\"page\"%2C\"mechanism\"%3A\"page_upcoming_events_card\"%2C\"extra_data\"%3A[]}]"%2C"has_source"%3Atrue}

This Saturday, meet 10.30 at Kelvingrove Park ( Kelvin Way entrance). March leaves 11am going to Glasgow Green via George Sq. up to 20k expected, 250 YES bikers doing their thing too. Bring the weans and family. A great opportunity to show labour and the tories their claim of no desire for a referendum is a pile of shite.

Why, oh why. It won't show unionists anything. All it'll do is come across to non committal folk that supporters of independence are a bit odd given there is no referendum on the cards and in the middle of a GE. 

Even if you think it's a good idea all that will be reported (if anything at all)  will be blue faced, kilted, eccentric extras from brigadoon 

I do not get the purpose of these events at this time. It's one step down from the indy camp lot. Does nothing for explaining the benefits and need for independence 

A not unexpected response. By all means if you think it wont do any good, stay away. We keep getting told there is no demand for Independence, events like this are something people can point to and say, aye there is. The blue faced, eccentric bunch will be kept to a bare minimum. 

Guest flumax
11 minutes ago, neilly71 said:

A not unexpected response. By all means if you think it wont do any good, stay away. We keep getting told there is no demand for Independence, events like this are something people can point to and say, aye there is. The blue faced, eccentric bunch will be kept to a bare minimum. 

Pro independence party has 54(6)/59 MP's, largest party by membership in Scotland, biggest vote share for MEPs, MPs, MSPs councillors.  Majority independence Parliament, a majority vote for another referendum, and you think a few thousand people on a march  will tip the argument and change the minds and opinion of people against the idea of independence? 

I will stay away, and I hope others do to. They are great for reaffirming the converted. But will not help bringing people over, and more likely to put them off. In my view. 

All the best for it, hope you get good weather 

Guest flumax

Call me crazy. But I think you'd make more of an impact if 20k folk were bussed to marginal seats and campaign /canvass for the SNP to try and return 59/59 MP's next week. That would show there is demand for independence 

7 minutes ago, flumax said:

Call me crazy. But I think you'd make more of an impact if 20k folk were bussed to marginal seats and campaign /canvass for the SNP to try and return 59/59 MP's next week. That would show there is demand for independence 

Always find this line of argument puzzling.  You'd be better chapping doors than being in George Square.. etc

Why do folk think annoying someone at their door is going to achieve anything?  People don't change their minds because some people 'canvass'.  They change their minds when their social group, you know people that haven't just randomly chapped their door, starts making points they hadn't been accustomed to.

oh look at me...i was knocking doors..  where you aye?  I've lived in Scotland most of my life and been knocked on the doors by about 2 people.  I don't know anybody that's had a real conversation with activists on the door though you see plenty pictures.  It's all a show for a picture.  It's old school and doesn't work.

I'm on the fence when it comes to these marches.  I don't know.  I do know better together, despite what they may have said, were very angsty with the sheer volume of yes posters on people's windows prior to the referendum.  They didn't expect that, especially in particular areas of the central belt.  It showed a steady stream of support and went up as the campaign went on.  People felt more open about giving independence a chance when it looked like more people were supporting it.  It's psychology.

2 hours ago, flumax said:

ive done plenty canvassing and leafletting during this campaign and still have more to do in terms of targeted voters letters to be delivered and polling station duty. I sure many of the folk marching have contributed also. Its not for you, thats obvious but i cant wait personally.

4 hours ago, flumax said:

Why, oh why. It won't show unionists anything. All it'll do is come across to non committal folk that supporters of independence are a bit odd given there is no referendum on the cards and in the middle of a GE. 

Even if you think it's a good idea all that will be reported (if anything at all)  will be blue faced, kilted, eccentric extras from brigadoon 

I do not get the purpose of these events at this time. It's one step down from the indy camp lot. Does nothing for explaining the benefits and need for independence 

The independence march was organised long before the general election

if people want to dress in kilts thats there choice  the only people who refer to brigadoonists are the ones who are normally tory or unionist snobs

you may not beleive in whatever thats your opinion i dont beleive sitting on ma bum and doing nothing 

oh so its a step down maybe for you but not for the thousands who will be there marching for what they beleive in democracy

THE BENEFITS AND NEEDS THERE IS A WEALTH OF INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET IF YOU DISCARD THE UNIONIST MEDIA AND ESPECIALLY THE BBC 

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, stinky said:

oh so its a step down maybe for you but not for the thousands who will be there marching for what they beleive in democracy

No problem with a march, if thats what people want, go for it.  But democracy is surely deciding the people want a vote, having a vote, getting a decision from the vote, and moving on.  Is democracy really to keep having a vote until you get what you want?  Enjoy though, and also hope you get good weather for it :ok:

7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

No problem with a march, if thats what people want, go for it.  But democracy is surely deciding the people want a vote, having a vote, getting a decision from the vote, and moving on.  Is democracy really to keep having a vote until you get what you want?  

*Sigh*

That's not what's happened though. The SNP have been elected to Government in Holyrood on the basis of a manifesto that promises another Independence vote if Scotland was the be removed from the EU against it's will, via the Brexit vote. 

Unless you don't believe in Governments implementing their manifesto pledges? 

17 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

No problem with a march, if thats what people want, go for it.  But democracy is surely deciding the people want a vote, having a vote, getting a decision from the vote, and moving on.  Is democracy really to keep having a vote until you get what you want?  Enjoy though, and also hope you get good weather for it :ok:

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

pretty much.

And we only have to win once.

26 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

In which case why are we having a General Election next week?  Surely this was settled in 2015.  There should be no need to put this to test until 2020 when the next election was supposed to be.

Edited by aaid

25 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Is democracy really to keep having a vote until you get what you want? 

Material

Change

In

Circumstances

Or does 62% of Scots wanting to stay in the EU not matter ?

If people want the same result as 2014 they will vote that way

54 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

1979 was not very democratic was it  the fight went on ..i have not heard of any country who voted for independence from the uk and actually asked to come back 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Or does 62% of Scots wanting to stay in the EU not matter ?

Or does listening to Nicola tell us that by voting remain would get us another vote for independence mean we really want to stay within the EU. I should maybe have voted with my head and not my heart then.

Client decided to vote Yes after a visit from some canvassers. She was unsure but swinging towards No as she wanted to vote but because she wasn't terribly informed (elderly, no computer so no social media and then me visiting monthly telling her msm was biased had made her even more confused) she thought she'd stick with the same old same old. Her visitors sat down answered her questions, gave her some reading material and she voted Yes as she will at all subsequent referendums. 

But if people want to march then fine and good luck. 

2 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Or does listening to Nicola tell us that by voting remain would get us another vote for independence mean we really want to stay within the EU. I should maybe have voted with my head and not my heart then.

Considering a reported third of SNP members (the biggest party in Scotland) voted Leave that doesnt hold up

The Remain vote in Scotland was made up of Tory, Labour and Lib Dem No voters

Guest BlueGaz
6 hours ago, Parklife said:

*Sigh*

That's not what's happened though. The SNP have been elected to Government in Holyrood on the basis of a manifesto that promises another Independence vote if Scotland was the be removed from the EU against it's will, via the Brexit vote. 

Unless you don't believe in Governments implementing their manifesto pledges? 

No mate, I'm cool with it. Seen a population vote a party in when they only have one main goal, and then ........

What will be will be. I will get on with whatever outcome there is. 

9 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

No mate, I'm cool with it. Seen a population vote a party in when they only have one main goal, and then ........

What will be will be. I will get on with whatever outcome there is. 

Ill remember that when folk start saying that not all SNP supporters want Independence ;) 

Meant to say, theres speakers, stalls and stuff when the march reaches Glasgow Green, think they might be trying to get a drinks stall but feck knows whether they will. Doubt ill hang around that long, one of the speakers is Lesley Riddoch but nae idea who else there will be. Weather looks like itll be dry until late afternoonish.

Guest BlueGaz
35 minutes ago, neilly71 said:

Ill remember that when folk start saying that not all SNP supporters want Independence ;) 

Meant to say, theres speakers, stalls and stuff when the march reaches Glasgow Green, think they might be trying to get a drinks stall but feck knows whether they will. Doubt ill hang around that long, one of the speakers is Lesley Riddoch but nae idea who else there will be. Weather looks like itll be dry until late afternoonish.

I will say it now if you want Neily - not all SNP supporters want independence.  

39 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I will say it now if you want Neily - not all SNP supporters want independence.  

And not all supporters of Independence vote SNP... what is your point?

Guest BlueGaz
21 minutes ago, stocky said:

And not all supporters of Independence vote SNP... what is your point?

Was replying to Neily.  Thanks for your input though Stocky.