Boycott Mob - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Boycott Mob

Doric

Wonder if England will be described as a 'must win'

Chris Martin is still sh*te by the way and barring a lucky wee nick off the defender we would be lambasting the decision to put him on and all the chat today would be about who the next manager was going to be.

Still we got the deflection and in Craig Beattie style, Chris Martin gets to savour a late winner which i expect will be the highlight of his international career.

One plus point barely mentioned is that Charlie Mulgrew had a really good game. Didn't have the most to do but was strong in the tackle, positioning spot on and looked a good left side with him and Robertson.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I doubt it, because it's not. England will win the group while Slovenia are one of our rivals for 2nd place.

Chris Martin is still sh*te by the way and barring a lucky wee nick off the defender we would be lambasting the decision to put him on and all the chat today would be about who the next manager was going to be.

And barring us hitting the woodwork and their keeper making a couple of saves we would have won by a few goals. Didn't happen though so not sure what your point is.

Still we got the deflection and in Craig Beattie style, Chris Martin gets to savour a late winner which i expect will be the highlight of his international career.

Probably, but I'm glad he did. I think most Scotland fans are too.

One plus point barely mentioned is that Charlie Mulgrew had a really good game. Didn't have the most to do but was strong in the tackle, positioning spot on and looked a good left side with him and Robertson.

Agreed

6 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I doubt it, because it's not. England will win the group while Slovenia are one of our rivals for 2nd place.

I think we need at least a point. We've now put ourselves in a position where, including last night, we probably need 16 points from 6 games. 

We got the win last night (and deprived Slovenia of any points) but there's a long, difficult road ahead. And we'll need 4 or 5 performances as good as last night to come close to achieving 2nd place. 

Guest BlueGaz
13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Probably, but shouldn't be.  Down to a mini league between us, Slovakia, Slovenia and Lithuania now.  Should all beat Malta and possibly all lose to England, although any points got there will be a nice bonus for someone.  So could still be in our own hands.  

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Probably, but shouldn't be.  Down to a mini league between us, Slovakia, Slovenia and Lithuania now.  Should all beat Malta and possibly all lose to England, although any points got there will be a nice bonus for someone.  So could still be in our own hands.  

Another problem we have though is points v Malta won't count when it comes to the best 2nd places going through to the playoffs, assuming we could pull it off of course, which is still pretty unlikely.

Would just be typical if we turned it around only to be the worst second place from the 9 groups.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think we need at least a point. We've now put ourselves in a position where, including last night, we probably need 16 points from 6 games. 

We got the win last night (and deprived Slovenia of any points) but there's a long, difficult road ahead. And we'll need 4 or 5 performances as good as last night to come close to achieving 2nd place. 

Yes probably, but not a "must win" as such. The England game will be difficult enough without the media putting that kind of pressure on the players.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

Another problem we have though is points v Malta won't count when it comes to the best 2nd places going through to the playoffs, assuming we could pull it off of course, which is still pretty unlikely.

Would just be typical if we turned it around only to be the worst second place from the 9 groups.

I would think to get 2nd, we would need 12 points at least.  So how would 19 points put us?

4 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I would think to get 2nd, we would need 12 points at least.  So how would 19 points put us?

Ranking of runners-up

This is how it stands so far

1 G 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 4 3 1 0 9 4 +5 10 Advance to second round (play-offs)
2 B 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 4 3 0 1 13 3 +10 9
3 H 23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 4 2 2 0 6 2 +4 8
4 D 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Republic of Ireland 4 2 2 0 4 2 +2 8
5 A 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 4 2 1 1 9 3 +6 7
6 C 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland 4 2 1 1 6 2 +4 7
7 I 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 4 2 1 1 6 5 +1 7
8 F 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 4 2 0 2 7 2 +5 6
9 E 23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 4 1 1 2 5 6 −1 4
Edited by Reevesy

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Reevesy said:
Ranking of runners-up

This is how it stands so far

1 G 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 4 3 1 0 9 4 +5 10 Advance to second round (play-offs)
2 B 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 4 3 0 1 13 3 +10 9
3 H 23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png Greece 4 2 2 0 6 2 +4 8
4 D 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Republic of Ireland 4 2 2 0 4 2 +2 8
5 A 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 4 2 1 1 9 3 +6 7
6 C 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland 4 2 1 1 6 2 +4 7
7 I 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 4 2 1 1 6 5 +1 7
8 F 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png Slovakia 4 2 0 2 7 2 +5 6
9 E 23px-Flag_of_Montenegro.svg.png Montenegro 4 1 1 2 5 6 −1 4

That not out of date now?

Guest BlueGaz

No the reason it says Slovakia have only played 4 games is that they've excluded their game v Malta.

gotcha

13 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

If we do by some miracle make it to second then we of course would be the worst second going by losing so heavily to Slovakia away and drawing to Lithuania at home.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You cannot be serious? You'd rather play in a half empty stadium? Many reasons to boycott last night, the pricing is still a disgrace for starters. 

Support was great towards the end last night, even though that song is taking over Doh a Dear as being irritating as ! Some folk were intent on only signing that one song for the full game. Vocally the support was good. 

Could not be more serious. 

The support from the West Stand last night was outstanding, especially from 75+ minutes when it really didn't look like it was going to happen for us. 

I would rather have a small, effective support capable of lifting the team than a stadium full of 'boycotters' on the team's back from the first to the last.

If the 'boycotters' turned up last night, they would have drowned out the West stand with boos, greeting and moaning. And we would be out this competition. 

Do not come back.

if the few that were there were noiser than the usual doom merchants I think there's a half decent chance we would be better off without them.  

Saying that England will be packed anyway.

I feel that we're in the same situation as Ireland were in the last campaign.   Need a fluckey win against the big team and we're back in it.

I also think the goal papers over the cracks of a fairly blunt second half performance.  We're getting carried away but who cares.  We have a chance.  Fair play to the players, they put a shift in; that's all we can ask.

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If we do by some miracle make it to second then we of course would be the worst second going by losing so heavily to Slovakia away and drawing to Lithuania at home.

There's no way you can say that for certain. All depends what happens in other groups and how many points we picked up to grab 2nd place.

The table above shows Montenegro on the same points as we have, for example. Just so happens that is enough for them to be sitting second in their particular group.

2 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

The support from the West Stand last night was outstanding, especially from 75+ minutes when it really didn't look like it was going to happen for us. 

I would rather have a small, effective support capable of lifting the team than a stadium full of 'boycotters' on the team's back from the first to the last.

If the 'boycotters' turned up last night, they would have drowned out the West stand with boos, greeting and moaning. And we would be out this competition. 

Do not come back.

Were you one of the 'faithful' booing Chris Martin? Can't have been the boycotters, they weren't there, remember? Deary me...

4 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Agreed. We were in B1 and you felt the fans were starting to get their act together as the game went on. Not really a fan of that "Everywhere we go" song as it's generic shite sang by loads of teams, but any sort of noise was welcomed and at least it kept going on for a decent bit of time.

There's no way you can say that for certain. All depends what happens in other groups and how many points we picked up to grab 2nd place.

The table above shows Montenegro on the same points as we have, for example. Just so happens that is enough for them to be sitting second in their particular group.

doesnt the table show that Montenegro seem much worse off than our group?  If Scotland miraculously gets to second, would be surprised if we were bottom of the second placers.

could only hear the Slovenians singing until that 'everywhere we go' chant started up with about 15 minutes to go. Not really a fan of these repetitive chants but at least it is noise so better than nothing. Afraid I only managed a very weak half-hearted cheer when Martin scored. Feel it is just delaying the inevitable but a win is a win I suppose   

10 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Do not come back.

I like how you credit yourself with us winning :lol: 

You must've been fecking pish at home to Lithuania. Up your game!! 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Were you one of the 'faithful' booing Chris Martin? Can't have been the boycotters, they weren't there, remember? Deary me...

Absolute disgrace. But thankfully it was a minority (and not in the west stand) who mostly kept their boos to themselves for the 90minites, and let the majority support the team. Genuinely the most positive home support I've seen in years.

If the boycotters had turned up you'd have had 10000 booing rather than 1. And they would have drowned out the west stand. And we would be out this competition. 

Do not come back. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo