Andy Murray No. 1 / Chant or Song - Page 5 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Murray No. 1 / Chant or Song

WeeJohnny

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:05 AM, dandydunn said:

I'm gonna assume this says what I think it's meant to say,but it is his fault. 

He could refuse to play for a team that isn't his country. 

Bit of a silly comment, his sport doesn't really have a Scottish team element, so what is he going to do miss the Olympics & Davis Cup?  Come on.  While I don't think signing about Andy Murray is anything but a bit of fun to wind up the English, some of the comments on here are hilarious.  "No place for it", "only sing songs that are relevant to the sport", "get behind the team" blah blah blah, these are comments from the same roasters who prob think Do a Deer (one of the most embarrassing songs ever sang at a football match) is still a top class football anthem.

The atmosphere at Scotland games is absolutely dire home & away these days, our songs are mainly garbage & the sooner people realise that and stop trying to hang on to the 'good old days' & do something different the better. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Agreed. Great achievement from Murray, especially given the quality and consistency of Djokovic over the last few years, but its probably a measure of how far our football team has sunk that there are people considering singing songs about him at a football. 

Fair enough but what the hell has a song from 'The Sound of Music' to do with getting behind the team or backing Scotland. At least Murray has that Scottish connection whereas Sound of Music's lead star was English.

18 hours ago, Parklife said:

Couldn't agree more. Folk who give him stick for competing under the only flag he is able to need to get a grip. Especially when he has openly said he would have voted for independence. 

Andy Murray is probably the greatest Scottish sportsman there has ever been. He's competed with 3 of the finest tennis players in history and through a mix of immense talent, determination to succeed and an incredible work rate, he's won 3 major titles, the Olympics, the Davis Cup, 14 Masters titles (the 9th most in history) and has inspired so many kids to play tennis. Allied to that he seems a genuinely decent bloke, articulate on many subjects (whether it be doping in sport or constitutional politics), a fine team mate and despite bursting on the scene at about 17 and having to deal with a lot of stick (after saying he wanted England to lose at football...) he's someone who's got his head firmly screwed on. 

He's my sporting hero, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure he is for so many folk in this country. A guy who comes from just 15 miles away from me is the best in the world at one of the world's biggest and most popular sports, how cool is that?!?! :)

Absolutely spot on. Post of the thread. :headbang:

The narrow mindedness "ah he play for GB" wow!  Scotland only country surely who look for reasons to hate their own people.  I'm at a loss to describe how embarrassing that is, Idiots!  Scotlands greatest sportsman.  Even the nationalists of the SNP don't come up with this nonsense and are fans just a few of the warped disciples have lost their way.....

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Plus Murray is known to be pro-independence whilst another Scot lauded on here and not criticized is Sir Alex who is a staunch unionist.

Some people don't care.

I know plenty of nationalists that are ar$eholes and plenty unionists that are good guys and vice-versa, not that I really know, as it's not something I identify folk by.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Some people don't care.

I know plenty of nationalists that are ar$eholes and plenty unionists that are good guys and vice-versa, not that I really know, as it's not something I identify folk by.

Yes I suppose it all depends what side of the fence you are on. 

The comment is relevant here though as many posters earlier try to paint him in an unfavourable and unpatriotic light which is way off the mark. He is pro-independence and fought for a tennis academy to be built near Stirling and owns hotel in Dunblane, married in Dunblane and his family all still live there.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Agreed. Great achievement from Murray, especially given the quality and consistency of Djokovic over the last few years, but its probably a measure of how far our football team has sunk that there are people considering singing songs about him at a football. 

As if that wasn't laughable enough there's folk on here wanting him to do the team talk! ???

You couldn't make the shite up

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but what the hell has a song from 'The Sound of Music' to do with getting behind the team or backing Scotland. At least Murray has that Scottish connection whereas Sound of Music's lead star was English.

Julie Andrews had a Scottish granny

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Songs don't have to have a direct link, or even any link, to the team they are related to. YNWA at Celtic, Penny Arcade (?) at Rangers, Delilah at Stoke, I am sure there are plenty more. While I do think its well past its sell by date If you don't understand the meaning of DAD to Scotland fans then, well you weren't there. Sometimes things can just "be" without any logical reason.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:20 PM, Anders said:

Only in Scotland could we not be proud of someone who is the best in the world in their field 

some of the stuff on here is embarrassing....

Andy Murray is a proud Scotsman and we should be proud of him.

should we sing about him at Wembley?!? who knows as it doesn't seem relevant 

however if it winds up " them " then let's do it 

"Henman was a c0ck and the other bloke was ....  Canadian" might not catch on tho ?

This in a nutshell.  Well said.