48 team World Cup - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

48 team World Cup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Eh? what a bizarre statement.

What's bizzare about it?  Take Albania for example, beat Romania in their final game then had to wait about 4 days to find out if it was enough for them to get through.

What's exciting about that?

Guest BlueGaz
17 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I was talking about Euro 2016.

So was I.  There were 3 games each in the group stage, my point was that there are different connotations that could make it possible that you don't know if you have qualified going into game 3.  may have misunderstood what you were saying though, it has been known. ;)

19 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

So was I.  There were 3 games each in the group stage, my point was that there are different connotations that could make it possible that you don't know if you have qualified going into game 3.  may have misunderstood what you were saying though, it has been known. ;)

Ah right. I probably should have been clearer

I was meaning teams who had already played 3 games but had to wait a day or two to see if it was enough to get them through.

18 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

It could still leave the scenario that a team could still lose by a goal or 2 and both would progress still

Aye even every game having a winner could still lead to a carve up.

FIFA should try simulating it to see how often the scenario happens, if only they had a computer game that they could use :rolleyes: 

I actually thought 3rd places teams going through in Euro 2016 was great. It meant nearly every team went into their last game with something to play for and had a chance of progressing. Often in the world cup and 16 team Euros there could be a game where both teams were already out. It also gave the smaller countries a chance of getting to the knockout stages. 

On 12/01/2017 at 9:45 PM, iainmac1 said:

I actually thought 3rd places teams going through in Euro 2016 was great. It meant nearly every team went into their last game with something to play for and had a chance of progressing. Often in the world cup and 16 team Euros there could be a game where both teams were already out. It also gave the smaller countries a chance of getting to the knockout stages. 

Except when Portugal got to the final without winning a game

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:50 PM, Reevesy said:

What's bizzare about it?  Take Albania for example, beat Romania in their final game then had to wait about 4 days to find out if it was enough for them to get through.

What's exciting about that?

that's tournament football

its exciting cause your watching the other games willing on the results you need

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

Except when Portugal got to the final without winning a game

I think you're meaning they never won a game in 90 minutes, but that's still not correct, they beat Wales in the semi.

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

that's tournament football

its exciting cause your watching the other games willing on the results you need

Yeah the players must be thrilled sitting around their hotel for days only to be told they are going home.

Even worse for the fans who have taken time off work and spent a fortune to get there.

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

They qualified out the group without winning a game but beat teams to get to the final.

5 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

They did win games. They won one in 90 mins outright, two in extra time and one on penalties. 

You could also look on it that no one beat them the whole tournament.

4 hours ago, Reevesy said:

I think you're meaning they never won a game in 90 minutes, but that's still not correct, they beat Wales in the semi.

Yeah i should have been clearer, just hate Ronaldo haha. Portugal defos didnt deserve to win the tourname t but thata how it goes

Just now, Kirk said:

Yeah i should have been clearer, just hate Ronaldo haha. Portugal defos didnt deserve to win the tourname t but thata how it goes

I like to see an outsider win it so I'm glad they did. Think most folk thought France would win the final comfortably after they beat Germany.

6 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

I like to see an outsider win it so I'm glad they did. Think most folk thought France would win the final comfortably after they beat Germany.

Yeah fair play, I woulda liked wales to do it in the end but sadly not.