Group A Finale - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Group A Finale

Toepoke

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. I missed last nights two games as well, so that's over 24 without a game. I think tonight's games will be pretty pish.

Too make matters worse there's no games on Thur/Friday !

If England win their group, they'll get Albania if they manage to be one of the best 3rd placed teams. 

Hoping for more English crowd trouble and an expulsion ;) 

53 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Not too bad an outcome for Northern Ireland. Unless they lose 4-0 to Germany, they'll finish above Albania in the 3rd place ranking...

If England beat Slovakia, Ni could be going into the last game knowing a 1 goal defeat is good enough to get them through. If Scotland ever got into that position we all know what would happen.:lol:

I think that's the case, I'm  sure somebody will tell me if I've ####ed up my calculations again.;)

Edited by Orraloon

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I am fairly confident NI will go through to the last 16. Imagine being able to celebrate a 1-0 defeat.:lol:

:lol:

Not sure it will happen for them tonight but I do think they'll finish better off than Sweden or ROI.

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

:lol:

Not sure it will happen for them tonight but I do think they'll finish better off than Sweden or ROI.

I thought England played before NI ( as they are in group B and NI are group C) but I now see that it's the other way round.  That's a pity. Twitchy erse time for them waiting to see if England beat Slovakia. Sweden and ROI will have a wee advantage in that they will know exactly what they need to do.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought England played before NI ( as they are in group B and NI are group C) but I now see that it's the other way round.  That's a pity. Twitchy erse time for them waiting to see if England beat Slovakia. 

Who printed your wallchart? England play tonight, N. Ireland tomorrow.

Hard to predict how Group B will influence Group C as any one of 4 could finish 3rd.

I agree the teams playing last have a distinct advantage playing for the best 3rd slots. Luck of the draw I guess. Knowing exactly what to do didn't help us in 1986 though :(

46 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

I guess if you only need a draw or a narrow loss then its an advantage but ROI and Sweden need to win no matter what I think?

Spain and Portugal's groups could end up with 3rd place teams on 2 points, so there's a slim chance that a draw will be enough for Ireland or Sweden...

Edit - Looking at it again, Ireland's poor goal difference means they need to win.

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hard to predict how Group B will influence Group C as any one of 4 could finish 3rd.

I agree the teams playing last have a distinct advantage playing for the best 3rd slots. Luck of the draw I guess. Knowing exactly what to do didn't help us in 1986 though :(

Aye, I was right the first time. Nobody was arguing with me so I thought I'd better just argue with myself.:lol:

I'm think I'm right in saying that if England beat Slovakia then a 1-0 defeat is good enough for NI (TOMORROW) night, no matter what the result of the Wales game. NI fans should be cheering on England tonight. We had to do that at EURO 96 but it wisnae easy.

German team will have to earn a good press back home after "not spectacular" achievements so far. Can`t see a better occasion to do that that thrashing NI. I think NI will be happy if it will stop at 3 goals deficit after all. Let`s not forget Germany is a tournament team- further the better.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Wallchart ? - He lives in a cave ffs..

39 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

One of the NI officials should see if they can get the German manager to agree to settle for a 1-0 win. One of those "you scratch oor baws we'll scratch yours" sort of agreements.

They better hope there's no French Algerians at the game...

14 hours ago, Orraloon said:

One of the NI officials should see if they can get the German manager to agree to settle for a 1-0 win. One of those "you scratch oor baws we'll scratch yours" sort of agreements.

A 1-0 defeat by Joachim loews side is not to be sniffed at.

:P

I think the MOTD team can now make a fair stab at predicting England's route to the final. Somebody insignificant from group F (probably Hungary) in the last 16. France in the QF. Germany or Italy in the SF and Spain in the final. Should be easy enough.