Mark Warburton - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Armitage Shanks said:

He is a good manager and did well to win Scottish cup semi final and the league.

However you could argue he lost the 4 hardest games on paper for them last season (away to Falkirk twice, away to Hibs twice) plus cup final.

Surely the hardest game on paper would have been the Celtic game?

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Surely the hardest game on paper would have been the Celtic game?

St J and Dundee plus this one.  I think he won 2 out of 3 of the hardest games of the season on paper.

17 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

St J and Dundee plus this one.  I think he won 2 out of 3 of the hardest games of the season on paper.

And he did also pump HIbs 6-2 at Easter Rd when they still had the best young player in Scotland playing for them.....

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Armitage Shanks said:

Well in the league. If you continue that trend you will lose twice at Celtic Park and twice at Pittidrie next season.

As the league progressed this year I got more and more confident about doing "ok" next year with what we had, plus additions in the summer.  But my confidence has dipped recently, bar the Celtic game but that was a one off.  I am happy with the signings so far for next year, but they are all unknown to me in regards to playing football up here, so I for one am unsure how next year will pan out.  

The best 2 performances this year, by far were against Dundee in particular, and Celtic.  If that was a level of consistency that could be sustained it would look good for next year, but its been proved its not.

33 minutes ago, Armitage Shanks said:

Well in the league. If you continue that trend you will lose twice at Celtic Park and twice at Pittidrie next season.

Swings and Roundabouts innit. Our best performances have also been against the better teams.  You judging it on those games is a bit like some of our fans thinking we will win the league because we played well in other certain games. The reality is that neither are true. 

I think folk forget the absolute shambles we were last year on and off the pitch (in a football sense). Warburton has had to sort out both, and most definitely gets pass marks from me in that respect. That said our budget, means that winning the division had to be the minimum, and we are far from the finished article. Every person at the club still has it all to prove and next season is their first chance to do that. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

And he did also pump HIbs 6-2 at Easter Rd when they still had the best young player in Scotland playing for them.....

The Hibs that team had Forster, Martin, Stanton and a completely furked in the Head Allan playing that day.  All went out on loan or were transferred. It was a great start for Warburto compared to the dross you had before under McCoist, but the Hibs team they played that day was nothing like the subsequent first team line up throughout the season.

I think Warburton is an excellent man manager.  His transfer dealings have been far more superior to what McCoist did, if you had him at the start of the 4th Division, I think your club would have been in much better shape.  With the players released and the obvious lack of depth coming through, I think you will see another 6 or 7 come in at Ibrox.  Defence is your issue though, including the keeper. Havent seen anything in terms of new players coming in to sort that out.  

Edited by giblet

17 minutes ago, giblet said:

The Hibs that team had Forster, Martin, Stanton and a completely furked in the Head Allan playing that day.  All went out on loan or were transferred. It was a great start for Warburto compared to the dross you had before under McCoist, but the Hibs team they played that day was nothing like the subsequent first team line up throughout the season.

I think Warburton is an excellent man manager.  His transfer dealings have been far more superior to what McCoist did, if you had him at the start of the 4th Division, I think your club would have been in much better shape.  With the players released and the obvious lack of depth coming through, I think you will see another 6 or 7 come in at Ibrox.  Defence is your issue though, including the keeper. Havent seen anything in terms of new players coming in to sort that out.  

My post you quoted was tongue in cheek...

Re your other points, I think our keeper gets a bit of a hard time.  He got off to a bit of a shaky start but a lot of that was mainly due to the style of play Warburton brought in as he clearly wants the keeper to play out from the back.  Foderingham has had some really impressive performances this season and looks to be a really good shot stopper.  He a couple of cracking saves (from Stokes?) on Saturday top.

I agree with you re defence.  We've been linked a few times now with Grant Hanley and while we can't afford him he's the type of defender we need.  To give Warburton some credit I assume he has also identified that we need to shore up at the back and while the press haven't got wind of anything (the Joey Barton thing was well known for about 2 weeks before it hit the MSM) I'd like to think he's got things bubbling away behind the scenes.

44 minutes ago, giblet said:

Granted it wasn't a full strength hibs team but it was also the first game the Rangers players had played together.

Our defence is the big issue.I think our keeper deserves a season with a decent defence in front of him. He has played well on a lot of occasions but also had a few shockers. I wonder if any of that is down to not being confident in the defence. If you look at the 2 games at easter road, in the first game he came out for a corner when he should have left the defence deal with it (though judging by the hibs goals at the weekend the outcome would still have been a hibs goal). In the second game when he knocked the cross in off the post, he should have been able to leave that to go over his head and have a CB or RB take care of it but after the first hibs goal where the defence was static and let Cummings waltz through I think he didn't trust them.

We seem to have conceded a lot of goals from corners/free kicks in the second half of the season. In the first half Foderingham would come out and command the box, but he stopped doing that in the second half of the season.

2 hours ago, giblet said:

Spot on with this.

Apparently looking at a Centre Back from Fenerbache. One of the new signings, Crooks can play there. We need someone in there who is a bit more commanding that's for sure. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Angus_Young said:

Spot on with this.

Apparently looking at a Centre Back from Fenerbache. One of the new signings, Crooks can play there. We need someone in there who is a bit more commanding that's for sure. 

Excited about seeing Crooks.  I haven't seen much of him myself, but read good things about him, fingers crossed !!!

3 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Excited about seeing Crooks.  I haven't seen much of him myself, but read good things about him, fingers crossed !!!

Aye he was in the League two team of the year so is well thought of, albeit at a lower level. 

Be interesting to see if him and Windass can make the step up. 

1 minute ago, neilly71 said:

Has Mark Warburton fell off a cliff, is he still running from the Hibs hordes or is he in hospital being treated for a serious case of verbal abuse? Not been spotted since 5pm on Saturday?

Where were you expecting to see him?

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Where were you expecting to see him?

He's avoided  questions from the likes of  the Daily Record and BBC Scotland. Questions like how good was Andy Halliday's goal? Why was the second goal given when Cafu was clearly pushed in the back? Surely after winning the Petrofac and the Championship you have achieved immortality?

Well, given that his team had just taken part in the Scottish Cup Final and that the story of how every single one of his players have been assaulted has been on the front and back pages of the newpapers, id have thought it normal for the manager to have been approached or to have comeout and said something. Rangers can hardly have a problem with Nicola Sturgeon not saying anything if their own manager has'nt said a peep himself. Will we see a statement from Dignity FC blasting the tragic hat for his lack of comment?

1 minute ago, neilly71 said:

Well, given that his team had just taken part in the Scottish Cup Final and that the story of how every single one of his players have been assaulted has been on the front and back pages of the newpapers, id have thought it normal for the manager to have been approached or to have comeout and said something. Rangers can hardly have a problem with Nicola Sturgeon not saying anything if their own manager has'nt said a peep himself. Will we see a statement from Dignity FC blasting the tragic hat for his lack of comment?

I'm sure the Tims will be compiling a newspaper article about it, at this very moment. Fear not. 

Warburton did get a bit "bitey, bitey" when the heat was on over the Christmas period, will be interesting to watch as the pressure ramps up during an SPL season. 

Edited by giblet

21 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

I'm sure the Tims will be compiling a newspaper article about it, at this very moment. Fear not. 

Okk Angus, dont really know what youre talking about but never mind. Maybe he's disappeared up his own backside?

2 hours ago, Armitage Shanks said:

He's avoided  questions from the likes of  the Daily Record and BBC Scotland. Questions like how good was Andy Halliday's goal? Why was the second goal given when Cafu was clearly pushed in the back? Surely after winning the Petrofac and the Championship you have achieved immortality?

You were expecting to see interviews between Warburton and the BBC?

Maybe he is away back south to see his family or away on holiday for a week or 2. Our players are back in for pre-season in 3 weeks so now is the only chance he really has to spend some time with his family before next season.