This Board Needs Tunes - Page 581 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

Mark Lanegan was another loss yesterday.  The Grim 'gruff' Reaper covered many forms of music with The Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age + his solo career.  Lucky to see him at the Garage in Glasgow although he was one helluva morose performer lacking any connection with the audience. 

19 minutes ago, Heuch Moray said:

Are we still on House/Home/Garden theme or moving onto 'First Album Bought' suggested by bonzo on the back of silverbear's post 🙃

There are a few acts I've picked up on here, but just a couple I've really latched onto that I'd previously been unaware of or not particularly into, and Mark Lanegan was one you brought me to, and I'm genuinely saddened by your news.   One of those brilliant talents with their own demons to battle.

Re. the theme...  it's your baw!

I'll chuck this in though I'm sure I've bored folk before.   I might have lost my virginity to this (though hasten to add... some years after album release... as am pretty slow with trends 😐 )   Shortly long after the 3min mark probably...

On 2/24/2022 at 12:11 AM, Grim Jim said:

Oh, and don't tell the missus.   She thinks I'm a Simple Minds fan!   😨

😄 I'm more confused your first album was bought as late as 2009 😏

Here's a track from my first one once I could afford it ... having been brought up with the sounds of Andy Williams and Dean Martin this one was one all mighty leap forward yet never appreciated by my friends who mocked my taste and said he'd never make it. Discovered he already did and back tracked to save up for all his previous albums...never did get them to sit and listen to the genius's lyrics 🙄

Desire Album - Dylan 

3 hours ago, silverbear said:

The version of Hey Joe was probably the best I've heard & brought the house down.  🎸

Apart from Lisa Simpson's, is there a song called something like I was so low that even the blues cheered me up ? Cheers SB 😄

19 hours ago, silverbear said:

Not sure what the current theme is at the moment but a quick hiatus.... just back from the 4 day Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise today with Joe Bonamassa, Eric Gales & several others.

These were my four favourite artistes.  😊

Just back from the 4 day Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise,,,,Brilliant didn't know about this, will definitely check it out

Edited by gkm_vancouver

On 2/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, gkm_vancouver said:

Just back from the 4 day Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise,,,,Brilliant didn't know about this, will definitely check it out

I can really recommend it. Here's some clips of previous cruises. The staff & organisation is first class.

We even got $99 worth of free drinks per day as a thank you for staying on the list aslast year's was postponed. 😉

On 2/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, silverbear said:

I can really recommend it. Here's some clips of previous cruises. The staff & organisation is first class.

We even got $99 worth of free drinks per day as a thank you for staying on the list as last year's was postponed. 😉

Listening to blues music and getting pished for free sounds like a good deal 😏. If we don't all get nuked in the next few weeks I'm definitely checking it out!

On 2/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, silverbear said:

Not sure what the current theme is at the moment but a quick hiatus.... just back from the 4 day Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise today with Joe Bonamassa, Eric Gales & several others.

I've been trying to post this for ages but the themes were never appropriate -so continuing with a kind of Blues thread.....

Went to see Boz Scaggs when I was in Vancouver in 2008 - to some extent out of curiosity. It was a great show, great to see an American west coast band do their thang and  he played his main hits. But then this came on and it blew me away. It's getting on to a 'Grim Jim' type length of track at 15mins but well worth the listen esp in the late evening when your tucking into your nightcap tipple....enjoy😎🎸🍷

So shall we assume the current thread is now blues related, but I suggest it doesn't need to be just the genre blues but can include 'having the blues', feeling blue, etc., to give it a bit more variety.

And late joiners to the previous theme can still post first tracks too etc.

Edited by exile