Daily Heil Hits A New Low? - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Daily Heil Hits A New Low?

George Foulkes and Jackie Baillie frothing at the mouth attacking Dr Whitford.

When Whitford was carrying out consultations with breast cancer sufferers over Christmas - Foulkes was opening up another bottle and Baillie was having her second dinner of the day.

I can't believe people would want an experienced breast cancer surgeon to refuse to lend a little hand now and again.

That Foulkes would've been cleaning the pish off his 5th pair of strides, and trying to take on the local constable.

Good people slaughtered for saving lives, whilst it's a good thing to cover up paedos. Rule Britannia.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the point about 'troughing' that it's when MPs exploit their role of being MP - or more particularly ministerial positions - that they wouldn't otherwise be able to do, unless they were an MP. Like sitting on boards etc,, or advising in the health or financial or health sector after having been (or while being) finance or health minister - that sort of stuff?

Not someone doing a bit of their 'real life job'. We so often hear the public would like their politicians to be grounded in the real world and not cocooned in the 'Westminster bubble'.

Yeah I do withdraw my trougher comment. I let Comrade Deecie's comments get to me and I went a bit McGarry/Findlay.

I was saying to Cove Sheep yesterday that I used to be of the opinion that some second jobs could be acceptable if they were in the publics interest, although they could spend an entire week debating in parliament exactly what that would entail and still be none clearer.... It was actually Labours attempt to have Paid Union Reps exempt from their bill that changed my opinion to a blanket policy.

She's included it in the Register of Interests. The Mail seem to be going through systematically looking for anything that's in the register of interests, or isn't and possibly should be - like dormant directorships - for all the SNP MPs and flinging mud around.

If they are doing it alphabetically, it seems that they haven't come up with much. Maybe they are saving the juicy stuff until nearer the election?

Yeah I do withdraw my trougher comment. I let Comrade Deecie's comments get to me and I went a bit McGarry/Findlay.

I was saying to Cove Sheep yesterday that I used to be of the opinion that some second jobs could be acceptable if they were in the publics interest, although they could spend an entire week debating in parliament exactly what that would entail and still be none clearer.... It was actually Labours attempt to have Paid Union Reps exempt from their bill that changed my opinion to a blanket policy.

I think the problem would be drawing a line.

Which is a bit unfortunate for this Doctor and those in similar positions, but some will bend the rules and push the boundaries meaning a blanket policy, or at least a very specific one is required.

I'm just glad that not too many folk give a fuk what you think. :wink2:

Fair dos. So there's also no point anyone debating it with you.

I'm not sure why. I pride myself on my openness and willingness to take others views into consideration B). But saying stuff like "she didn't do it for the money"* or "it's only cos she pure cares about people"* add very little for me.

* Quotes may not be verbatim

I think the problem would be drawing a line.

Which is a bit unfortunate for this Doctor and those in similar positions, but some will bend the rules and push the boundaries meaning a blanket policy, or at least a very specific one is required.

:ok:

That ###### Foulkes would've been cleaning the pish off his 5th pair of strides, and trying to take on the local constable.

Good people slaughtered for saving lives, whilst it's a good thing to cover up paedos. Rule Britannia.

:lol:

There is something almost PG Wodehouse about auld Foulkesy!

In that case she should decide whether she wants to be a surgeon or a politician. I imagine her constituents would agree?

She can't decide that only her constituents can. It would be a pity to invest all that money training her for it to be flushed down the pan but hey we are a wealthy nation we can afford it.

I'm with Pete Wishart on this one, I'm completely against Politicians holding second jobs, but for the Daily Mail to single out a surgeon when there are other much more sinister troughers lining the Labour and Conservative benches is hypocritical.

Yes, she's broken party rules but I'd ask the SNP not to judge her too harshly on this occasion, donating her earnings too a charitable organisation would suffice :ok:

Think you have a valid point here though. Edited by Lamia

It would be a pity to invest all that money training her for it to be flushed down the pan but hey we are a wealthy nation we can afford it.

I can sympathise, to an extent. Reading back on the thread I think the thing that has been lost, both from the tone of my posts and the original Mail story, and many peoples reactions, is that Dr Whitford hasn't done anything wrong. There are currently no rules against MP's having second jobs, I'd like there to be though.

Are you suggesting that I'd assert something based on a Mail article? Gies peace :lol: Ayrshire & Arran health board confirmed it.

Ah ok fair enough if it came from the Doc herself.

I agree completely MPs should not have 2 jobs. But working for a short period whilst on holiday might be excusable. MPs salary for that week should be forfeited though if NHS paid her.

Incidentally, for any of us, are we allowed to be temporary work during paid annual leave weeks off ??

Incidentally, for any of us, are we allowed to be temporary work during paid annual leave weeks off ??

Entirely depends on your contract and whether or not you have an exclusivity clause which I doubt the majority would have and would generally only cover working in competitive situations otherwise it could be construed as a restraint of trade.

Entirely depends on your contract and whether or not you have an exclusivity clause which I doubt the majority would have and would generally only cover working in competitive situations otherwise it could be construed as a restraint of trade.

Most professional contracts will have something along the lines that prevent working against the interests of the company. So a second job that doesn't affect the first would generally be ok provided there is no impact on performance. I work with engineers who have side businesses as a drummer, photographer, cake maker but none of that is frowned upon.