Top 5 Best Cities In The World - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Best Cities In The World

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cologne is really nice (though it seems to have gone downhill in last couple of years) and the cathedral is awesome though Dresden just shades it in my opinion.

I've always fancied Dresden. Disagree an the comments about beer in Cologne though, I love a kolsch.

Edited by dieselarmy

Iceland is no cheaper than Scandi IMO, Our trip to Iceland in 2006, the first place we went for tea cost 27 quid for a burger/chips and beer...each.......

You do realise that 2006 is now 10 years ago? Since then Iceland has gone bust, it's now about as expensive as Edinburgh.

I've always fancied Dresden. Disagree an the comments about beer in Cologne though, I love a kolsch.

Correct.

Kölsch is by far the 2nd best German beer.

Iceland is no cheaper than Scandi IMO, Our trip to Iceland in 2006, the first place we went for tea cost 27 quid for a burger/chips and beer...each.......

I found Stockholm a lot easier on the pocket, although it was cheaper to take a 2 day ferry trip to Tallin (all accom included and a 4 hour stop over)than 1 night accom in Stockholm, which was in a Hostel....

Was early 2000's and The Baltics were awfy cheap then...

Stockholm's like anywhere; if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine for cash, e.g. Galway's Bar in Kunsgatan did a happy hour from 3 - 6 when I was last there in 2014. Basically about 3 quid a pint.

Agree, Stockholm is nowhere near as bad as Oslo and Copenhagen.... when we went for a long weekend in 2010 we did not paid more than £3-4 a pint (based on a poor exchange rate at the time) as during the day we would do the tourist stuff (keeping a eye out for the restaurants that did meal deals during certain hours of the day.... one place we found did a Elk Burger and a bottle of wine for roughly £10 each if went in to eat between 3 and 5pm) and most places did happy hours in the evening.

Stockholm is expensive at first sight, but is very tourist friendly...whereas the likes of Oslo you have to take our a 2nd mortgage just to eat in Burger King.

Helsinki (which I expected to be VERY expensive) we were paying 2 Euros a pint in some bars at night (Bars need to do happy hours there to stop folk jumping across to Tallinn at weekends)

Edited by wanderer

Wee bit surprised Bordeaux hasnt had a mention.

If you mean Bordeaux for the Norway game during France 98 then yes definitely was a top couple of days.

However, generally outside of Paris I'm not a massive fan of French cities. Living in Jersey I've been to a fair few, St. Malo, Rennes, Nantes, Caen, Bayeux, Marseilles, Cannes, St. Etienne to name a few and haven't found any of them to be particularly great. One city I do like in France is Biarritz, but I think that's because it has more of a Basque/Spanish feel rather than French.

Agree, Stockholm is nowhere near as bad as Oslo and Copenhagen.... when we went for a long weekend in 2010 we did not paid more than £3-4 a pint (based on a poor exchange rate at the time) as during the day we would do the tourist stuff (keeping a eye out for the restaurants that did meal deals during certain hours of the day.... one place we found did a Elk Burger and a bottle of wine for roughly £10 each if went in to eat between 3 and 5pm) and most places did happy hours in the evening.

Stockholm is expensive at first sight, but is very tourist friendly...whereas the likes of Oslo you have to take our a 2nd mortgage just to eat in Burger King.

I didn't think Oslo was as bad as everyone made out before we went, was about £5 a pint as opposed to the £10 everyone was quoting, that was in 2007 (I think? Won 2-1 Kenny Miller scored them both).

Reassured everyone with this before we went to Bergen last year, but it really was £10 a pint, and a 2nd mortgage if you wanted spirits. It was nearly £2 for a snickers!

I didn't think Oslo was as bad as everyone made out before we went, was about £5 a pint as opposed to the £10 everyone was quoting, that was in 2007 (I think? Won 2-1 Kenny Miller scored them both).

Reassured everyone with this before we went to Bergen last year, but it really was £10 a pint, and a 2nd mortgage if you wanted spirits. It was nearly £2 for a snickers!

Oslo gets a bad rap because 15-20 years ago we in the UK were paying just over £1 a pint, while in Oslo it was £5 (massive gap at the time)..... now in the UK you are paying close to £3-5 in a bar in most major cities, while in Oslo its still roughly the same price for a beer.

Over my 3 trips to Oslo over the last 12 years, the prices have stayed relatively the same over each visit (Stockholm I find that the beer is expensive, but everything else is cheaper.... while in Oslo it just felt to do anything else other than breath fresh air was going to cost you a arm and a leg)...

Zurich on the other hand was VERY eye opening (makes Oslo look like one of the Baltic States)

Oslo gets a bad rap because 15-20 years ago we in the UK were paying just over £1 a pint, while in Oslo it was £5 (massive gap at the time)..... now in the UK you are paying close to £3-5 in a bar in most major cities, while in Oslo its still roughly the same price for a beer.

Over my 3 trips to Oslo over the last 12 years, the prices have stayed relatively the same over each visit (Stockholm I find that the beer is expensive, but everything else is cheaper.... while in Oslo it just felt to do anything else other than breath fresh air was going to cost you a arm and a leg)...

Zurich on the other hand was VERY eye opening (makes Oslo look like one of the Baltic States)

Aye but there's more to a city than just beer prices. I've been to Oslo 3 times for Scotland games and found it to sterile, characterless and boring.

That's weird, because Geneva's not that bad.

Geneva is basically French so it's more or less on a par with everything around it. Zurich is another planet. Imagine if London only consisted of the city of London financial sector. It's pretty much like that. The rate of bawbags on the street if off the scale as is the rate of Ferarris. And probably the rate of cocaine use.