Main Reason For Not Qualifying - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Main Reason For Not Qualifying

tartanpar

If we had beaten Macedonia we would have been on 13 points and made the play offs at the expense of Ireland.

:ok: Cheers!

The OP is a good analysis btw. Looks like we should forget about England and focus on getting 12 points from Malta and Lithuania...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ok: Cheers!

The OP is a good analysis btw. Looks like we should forget about England and focus on getting 12 points from Malta and Lithuania...

Although arguably in the recent campaign that's where it went wrong for us. Poland and ROI both took points off Germany which we weren't able to do.

It does not matter who the team we are playing is, we cannot win games regardless.

Roi turned defeats into draws and draws into victories because they have a stronger mentality than us, we did the exact opposite. Outwith gib, we won 2 games out of 8.

We don't qualify because we have a weak mentality and without that changing, we will do nothing.

Am I alone in thinking that our players are sometimes a bit reluctant to shoot ?

We seem to just try and walk it into the net sometimes. Now I'm not advocating just blasting away at everything but it wouldn't hurt to take a few more shots like Matt Ritchie did !

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Am I alone in thinking that our players are sometimes a bit reluctant to shoot ?

We seem to just try and walk it into the net sometimes. Now I'm not advocating just blasting away at everything but it wouldn't hurt to take a few more shots like Matt Ritchie did !

His goal against Poland was special. Screamer of a shot. Just a pity it counted for nothing.

Aye.

You can play the Barcelona or Real Madrid way if you have a team full of superstars who can pass it into the net.

We don't unfortunately so if you see sight of goal and it's the best option......SHOOT FFS !

Edited by jock strap

We are a championship level team as it were.we lack players with real ability.we give away too many sloppy goals despite playing well in spells of certain matches.we have turned glorious failure into the norm.

IMO the reason we don't qualify is because too many of our players simply don't have a winning mentality.

You don't need to be a star to be a winner, you just have to believe you're worthy and capable of winning.

The tiring way we blame bad luck for ongoing failure tells me all I need to know about the mental dynamic among the squad and management.

IMO the reason we don't qualify is because too many of our players simply don't have a winning mentality.

You don't need to be a star to be a winner, you just have to believe you're worthy and capable of winning.

The tiring way we blame bad luck for ongoing failure tells me all I need to know about the mental dynamic among the squad and management.

Totally disagree, what is the medal count in the morn irn, roi, wales, Poland, Iceland etc squads?

Not relevant at all for me, ever to my previous posts, the reason is we dnt have the guts to big, or win at all really

Totally disagree, what is the medal count in the morn irn, roi, wales, Poland, Iceland etc squads?

Not relevant at all for me, ever to my previous posts, the reason is we dnt have the guts to big, or win at all really

The medal count is irrelevant. Medals only equal tangible success and only one team can be tangibly successful in any single tournament. What makes a winner isn't developed on a football field - it's something that's either in your head or it's not. It's something Jock Stein and SAF both knew. What was their total medal count as players?

Not just the squad but the media and the fans as well.

I think mentality has had a lot to do with it over the years and the longer it goes on the tougher it is to get over that mentality.

I do agree with the previous post that it isn't just the players to blame for that mentality. Generally speaking, I think there are a lot of Scottish people out there that have this strange mentality that they almost want things to go wrong just so they can say "told you so".

This shows in the amount of people I've already heard say we won't qualify for the World Cup before a ball has even been kicked.

I think mentality has had a lot to do with it over the years and the longer it goes on the tougher it is to get over that mentality.

I do agree with the previous post that it isn't just the players to blame for that mentality. Generally speaking, I think there are a lot of Scottish people out there that have this strange mentality that they almost want things to go wrong just so they can say "told you so".

This shows in the amount of people I've already heard say we won't qualify for the World Cup before a ball has even been kicked.

There's definitely some truth in this, but if we can produce players with better technique the situation would quickly change for players and fans. That said, we don't have the collective spirit of other nations. The only time I've seen us pull together is when Scotch and Wry came on at Hogmanay.

You have to remember though. Scotland is being continually reminded that we are too wee, poor and stupid to get on well in life. We are not genetically programmed to make our own decisions, so some auld boot once said.

I completely agree. That is one of the reasons I'd like to see Griffiths given an opportunity. He isn't afraid to have pot shots from distance and his accuracy is decent. Too often over the recent past we've depended on Fletcher, Miller, Naismith Tec holding the ball up when a bit more directness has been required.

There are many reasons for our recent failures as listed in this thread but if we can eliminate some of them then things could turn our way. Be that 12 points from the bottom two seeds, winning all home games, keeping more clean sheets, having a tougher mental attitude amongst fans, players, managers, media etc.

I'd add a bigger top league to the list. Too many opponents to a top flight of say 18, give their reasons as too many meaningless games and less cash from TV or gate receipts against the "big" teams. Well those meaningless games give the chance to blood young players, improve technique, attract larger crowds, qualify for tournaments which in turn provides more income for the SFA to split between the clubs and has the knock on effect of making our game more appealing to TV and to paying customers. We're just far too short sighted.

The medal count is irrelevant. Medals only equal tangible success and only one team can be tangibly successful in any single tournament. What makes a winner isn't developed on a football field - it's something that's either in your head or it's not. It's something Jock Stein and SAF both knew. What was their total medal count as players?

Actually agree, I mis read your previous post.

the seeding ensure you are unlikely to get an easy group.

It's possible you can get a team punching above it's weight. i.e. wales who are never a pot 1 team. iceland could fall apart at any moment too.

Georgia are shyte but we know what happens when we play them and they are not a pot 1 team.