The Bitter End - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Bitter End

Question for Dundee & Dundee Utd fans.

Given the thread is about both clubs apparently nearly merging years ago what would be your reaction if that was to happen now?

By that I mean a merger on equal terms - both teams fold, new club formed, new colours, new team name, both grounds sold and new one built. Would you follow the new club or not?

I always get the impression that those who propose mergers think the new club would attract nearly all the fans of the clubs involved when the reality would be that a decent percentage would not support a new club.

Very difficult one. I guess the new club would be 50% my old club and it would be from Dundee so I suppose I would look out for its results and yes would support it to a degree. But I don't think you could ever have the same degree or level of support for a new club as you had for your old one. Its like changing clubs. Might happen over along period of time maybe. But would surely take 20 years or so before kids from the city grew to know just one club and support it. A lot of older supporters would struggle.

But there again - it would be tough not going to a game on the Saturday if you were used to going every week. If the team did well people might come round eventually.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any 2 clubs in scotland were to merge it should be this pair. Rivalry but no violence or bigotry involved. 2 grounds in the same street.......

With a long consultation and decent marketing there would be one club that could be a contender for trophies. Its a big football city. Brand new stadium out of town, family friendly, transport links, school initiatives to gain young fans. I like it. Dundee Discovery FC.

I left Dundee many years ago. I usually still get back up to see United maybe 10 to 12 times a season. Following United has kept a link to the city I grew up in and friends I have made, some of whom I have known since my school days. Whenever I tell my dad I am coming up for a weekend, his first question is 'Who are United playing?'

If the clubs merged, that link would be broken. My club would have died. I would maybe go to a game if I was back home and it fitted in but only as a football fan rather than a supporter.

I wouldn't have a problem with a ground share, particularly if it was in a new stadium. It would be good to have an 18-20k capacity for the city which could host semi-finals and Scotland games but that opportunity has been missed.

Plenty of nice people in the Ferry and Barnhill. So ###### you.think I've been misunderstood ,I meant the Dundee people from the schemes who have moved to the ferry and barnhill ,and now think there shit don't smell plus Stephen Thompson the baldy snake stays in the ferry

I worked in his hoose there. One of the biggest c'ocks I've ever met while doing work.

Question for Dundee & Dundee Utd fans.

Given the thread is about both clubs apparently nearly merging years ago what would be your reaction if that was to happen now?

By that I mean a merger on equal terms - both teams fold, new club formed, new colours, new team name, both grounds sold and new one built. Would you follow the new club or not?

I always get the impression that those who propose mergers think the new club would attract nearly all the fans of the clubs involved when the reality would be that a decent percentage would not support a new club.

I'm pretty much finished now but would have zero interest in a city of dundee football team unless they took the all of dundee's name and whatever is not already used from uniteds.

I remember going to a house in malvina place, north muirton years ago and was as bad as anywhere in dundee my cooshit eating countryman.

Malvina Place is Muirton. North Muirton is a different scheme. Muirton was a dump but it has changed big time.

I left Dundee many years ago. I usually still get back up to see United maybe 10 to 12 times a season. Following United has kept a link to the city I grew up in and friends I have made, some of whom I have known since my school days. Whenever I tell my dad I am coming up for a weekend, his first question is 'Who are United playing?'

If the clubs merged, that link would be broken. My club would have died. I would maybe go to a game if I was back home and it fitted in but only as a football fan rather than a supporter.

I wouldn't have a problem with a ground share, particularly if it was in a new stadium. It would be good to have an 18-20k capacity for the city which could host semi-finals and Scotland games but that opportunity has been missed.

My position too. I coincide visits to my mum and dad with Utd matches. Given I now live 80 miles away it would be much easier to get my football somewhere closer to EK so a merged team would mean nothing to me.

My position too. I coincide visits to my mum and dad with Utd matches. Given I now live 80 miles away it would be much easier to get my football somewhere closer to EK so a merged team would mean nothing to me.

I've been doing it in reverse, back to Stewarton for Killie games for about 20 years, although the last 4-5 years now we have the children I've been to see Killie more at Tannadeechay, Dens and Perth than at Rugby Park. My Mum always was a bit miffed with the co-incidental nature of my visits matching up with Killie games. My Dad just smirked, knowingly.