Reasons To Be Optimistic... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reasons To Be Optimistic...

Guest allyc

The final humiliation has occurred.the final "home" nation has qualified for France while we sit at home next year doing whatever.a change of personnel has given us some form of hope for up coming campaigns in the past.but this time i cannot see any reason to be optimistic.looking at our world cup group,we in reality we could be on the wrong end of two severe hidings from our closest derby rival...

Edited by allyc

The final humiliation has occurred.the final "home" nation has qualified for France while we sit at home next year doing whatever.a change of personnel has given us some form of hope for up coming campaigns in the past.but this time i cannot see any reason to be optimistic.looking at our world cup group,we in reality we could be on the wrong end of two severe hidings from our closest derby rival...

On form we could get two hidings - agreed. However, I believe that we can and will give them a game - twice - and may even get a bit of luck and take some points. My greater concern is the very tricky games against the other teams in the group. The top seeds are likely to go to Slovenia, Slovakia and Lithuania and win at least one-nil. That is what I want us to do but we never do and that is why we struggle.TBH, if I was empowered to pick four UEFA teams and make up a good group for us I would still not be confident of us winning it. Sincerely hope we do not have our heads in our hands after the first match of WC qualifiers. Malta. This is not meant to be a crticism of our players and staff as I still believe WGS is correct man and the players are as good as we have IMO. Just hope the likes of Rhodes, Russell get game time and do well and perhaps some of the younger lads discussed in other threads.

The cost, stress, logistical problems of going. Flights from Ireland already sky rocketing. Already hvaing arguments with mates over the cheapest way to do it flying vs driving. Lots of people in my job looking to go which means everyone getting time off will be a problem. The price of hotels and beer in France. Tickets going on sale just before Christmas which doesn't help the wallet. Lots of band-wagoners going who'll try snap up tickets and who wouldn't know the names of half the starting XI. Irish football fans travelling to France wearing Irish rugby jerseys. Irish fans singing 'Fields of Athenry' when we're getting thumped by Spain 4-0

The cost, stress, logistical problems of going. Flights from Ireland already sky rocketing. Already hvaing arguments with mates over the cheapest way to do it flying vs driving. Lots of people in my job looking to go which means everyone getting time off will be a problem. The price of hotels and beer in France. Tickets going on sale just before Christmas which doesn't help the wallet. Lots of band-wagoners going who'll try snap up tickets and who wouldn't know the names of half the starting XI. Irish football fans travelling to France wearing Irish rugby jerseys. Irish fans singing 'Fields of Athenry' when we're getting thumped by Spain 4-0

C'est la vie. :wink2:

If it gonna cause that much of a problem why not simply phone uefa explain the situation and say roi don't want the place anymore give it to Scotland and give us the terrible headache as you mentioned above ???

oh I wish I had those problems

Oh to have such problems right now :)

If it gonna cause that much of a problem why not simply phone uefa explain the situation and say roi don't want the place anymore give it to Scotland and give us the terrible headache as you mentioned above ???

Not a bad idea but I imagine them pesky Bosnians will be first preference if we drop out